Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with recent posts saying baclo is a huge positive for cravings - but more effort is needed long term. If you can tolerate it, baclo is an invaluable tool.

I went from AF 137.5mg down to 35mg and found that cravings DO reappear.

Realistically, should I have expected anything less ? No - in hindsight.

I dont think I was too rapid in my descent down. Im having a few beers but nothing over the top. I expect to be back on track in days.

Hence, I am now back at 75mg and will probably not go under 65mg again. I think my long term optimum will be between 65 - 85mg. Fine by me !!

Baclo is no doubt a remarkable " help ".

Ive experienced the " baclo other side " and now want to regain it more fully and permanently.

Been an interesting/fantastic ride so far.

Btw, I do read this forum every day - so keep the updated reports coming folks !

Comment

thanks and welcome Harry!

For me, bac has given me my life back,I feel almost normal, whatever that is!!??:H:H

I, too drink sometimes, like a normal person though.........I, like a normal person, have gone overboard and felt like crap the next day because I was upset about something..............but got right back on the horse, as they say, and been fine, unlike the old alcoholic me, who would have spiraled quickly downward.............

So, along w/ AA, it has been a WONDERFUL tool for me................

hugs, to everyone!!:l:l

MA:h
      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Still on 260 mg/day. The coughing has gotten bad again - I keep waking myself up and coughing up a lung or two. I had had enough after last night and got some Mucinex DM. I do not recommend taking it with high levels of baclofen! I've only taken 200 so far today and am completely whacked. (And I'm still coughing!) Ugh.

Comment

I am on 60 to 80 mgs per day and that seems to keep the "disinterest" maintained. Anything below that and I have had a reawakened "mmm maybe it would be OK now" thought.

Since starting on the bac for the first time in 20 years I have not craved or obsessed. This coupled with anxiety made drinking or not a horrible place to live.

I can handle the rest when there is no craving/interest. My anxiety levels are pretty good at that level also. They were less at a higher dose but some of the other side effects were hard (tiredness etc).

Life is good on baclofen!

Best to you all
          Andy R:

Comment

Okay, this is pretty freaky - I looked up baclofen + cough since I didn't see it listed as a side effect (nasal congestion was, although rare). Turns out that bac is used to *suppress* certain kinds of coughing! I can say with certainty that it does NOT have that effect on me. I am stuffy and drippy and weepy, constant draining into my throat, and coughing like an old person.

I am still sober.

Comment

Amazing Larisa on the AF time are you still up in the 200's?. Do you have allergies or a cold (flu)? Hope you feel better.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Thanks, BL! I have been congested and coughing since I got to about 100 mg/day, but you may be right...this is different. Might just be illin'. I'm still at 260/day.

Comment

I concur -- it sounds like something other than the bac is amiss here.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Me too!!

I have a cold too, thank God I got the flu shot!!! I have had a perpetual cough for about 2 weeks now, it cannot be the bac, as I have been on it since 8/14, and only had a post nasal drip from allergies.........

Guess it is just that time of the year.......AND now I work in healthcare again, loving it, on my way to the gym then home to sleep before going in again tonight....... I worked on some artwork there last night, while the patients are asleep I have plenty of spare time......

Lots of love,:l:h

MA
                    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Has anyone else noticed this....The dosage that I'm on will work for several days and then it will lose it's power and I have to keep titrating up. It's strange....I think I hit my switch and then one day it's like I did not even take the meds.

Anyway, I have been doing well. I never thought I would be this much in control of my alcohol intake. Not completely AF but for the most part I'm ok with the amount I consume when I do drink (usually 2 glasses of wine)

Comment

Hi Shelby,

What's your dosage now?

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

I'm at 150. Going up to 160 today.

Comment

I've moved down to 120mg a day

40mg @ 1pm
                            40mg @ 5pm
                            40mg @ 8pm

still effortlessly sober... last week I went out to dinner with a friend of mine @ Chili's where it's 2 for 1 all the time.

Ordered a Killians.. they brought 2 and I was just finishing the second one when the check came at the end of dinner. I thought.. this is that thing that was so elusive for so many years.

I think I could still go out of control if I wanted to but the compulsion is completely vanished. It's still a bit unreal to me.

Comment

Hi there, just a quick update. I am getting over flu, so not feeling so full of energy.

I am having to titrate up very slowly due to side effects. At the moment I fluctuate between 40 and 50mgs daily. I do still have cravings, most days manegable. If I do drink, its seldom more than 3 glasses of wine. I am not getting the same effect from alcohol, in fact, instead of the high, I feel heavy and slow. Had I experienced this when I first started drinking, I would never have bothered to even have another glass. I think that my mind is still looking for the buzz.

When I drink, I feel simply awful the next day. I feel hungover, depressed, heady, tired... and.. and... and. I also get drunk very, very quickly.

Comment

My down-titration is still stuck at 140 - 160... Am happy to keep it there if required.
                                I'll do whatever it takes
                                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X