Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larisa;756248 wrote: Have been at 270 for 2 days - some superstitious part of me wanted to get up to where Dr. A hit his switch. But it's officially too much for me! I actually woke up two nights ago with half-chewed food in my mouth - I know, niiiiice. I was too sleepy to finish chewing, I guess! I can't even make it to 8:30 now, and life has to be about something other than working and sleeping! Also, I'll never be able to test whether I want AL or not unless I'm actually physically capable of going to get some. So...down to 250 tonight, and we'll see from there.
    Larisa,

I first read the above (aged eyes) as half chewed foot. I was worried for a second there!!

Are you still drinking or AF? I am sorry if I haven't kept up.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Ha, Cindi! That sounds like something I would do. I have been AF for 3 months or so (I don't count days - I hate it), except for 2 screw-ups. But I've been high on bac. Does that count?

Comment

Fresh Baclofen Patient

Just popped my first 10 mg of Baclofen an hour ago. No effect yet. My Dr. hadn't heard about any of this. I gave him OA's book and a couple scholarly articles. He was very interested and wanted to work with me. He prescribed 10 mg 3 x day for 2 weeks. Then I go up to 20 mg for 2 more weeks. I have an appointment with him after the 4th week.

My drinking habit has been 4-5 hard drinks from 7:30pm to 9pm, then dinner, then ice cream, and then bed. This of course accounts for my being 40lbs. overweight (225 lbs) and blood sugar levels at 140+. I'm 54. I do work out at the gym with a trainer twice a week. I will interested to see if my cravings for alcohol do begin to diminish will it in turn positively effect my eating habits? I definitely overeat when I drink.

I should add that I am an internally tense person. All my life I have wiggled and twitched, clenched and flexed my muscles and jaw. I rarely show extreme emotion, opting to repress it and burn it up with "nervous movement/ticks" although mostly when I think no one is watching me. When my 5 yr old grandson began to manifest these same "nervous ticks" I realized there may be a physiological component to all this and perhaps I've been self-medicating. I don't clench my jaw or twitch after a few drinks.

So that's me and we shall see.

Comment

DonsBac, your observations make sense, and it sounds like you are on the right route.

While 4-5 hard drinks per night might seem extreme to most "normal" people, to me it sounds downright moderate. By that, I mean it would have been moderate for me a couple months ago.

If you have the will, bac will likely allow you to follow it -- isn't that wonderful?
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Larisa;756751 wrote: Ha, Cindi! That sounds like something I would do. I have been AF for 3 months or so (I don't count days - I hate it), except for 2 screw-ups. But I've been high on bac. Does that count?
            I don't know if being high on bac counts... are you cheating, or what?
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

To Donsback:

It may be that you find your solution in Baclofen, but I am with Beatle in that it sounds like your problem doesn't sound that bad. I don't want to minimize it too much, because it sounds like you are very dependent. But it might not be extreme enough for a pharma solution. Drugs have side effects which for people who have extreme problems are more than made up for by the benefits.

Speaking from personal experience, what you describe about tension is fixable through other means. Try: Alexander technique, meditation, yoga, psychotherapy, diet (how much caffeine?), exercise, Buddhism and most of all self-acceptance.

Comment

Well, I mostly agree with Nancy, but I do nonetheless believe baclofen could be of great help to you, DonsBac.

First of all, I think it is a misconception to think of baclofen in the same category as drugs like SSRIs and benzos. I don't consider baclofen extreme at all. Baclofen is essentially a synthetic version of what all mammals have in their bodies. It does not mess up you body by doing something it was not meant to do, like the above-mentioned drugs do. It does have side effects in many people when taken in large amounts, especially if it is titrated up quickly. Men seem to tolerate these side effects better than women.

I believe that in combination with what Nancy lists as methods of dealing with tension, you could have great success with Baclofen, perhaps at relatively low doses.

Personally, I combine baclofen with meditation, psychotherapy and very conscious choice of nutrition and supplements.

Comment

Nancy,
                  Thanks for the recommendations. I know from my time in AA that my drinking is not at the level of many others who suffer from alcoholism, but I also know that, for whatever reasons, I'm often not able to be completely honest about how much I drink. 4-5 a night seem the norm, but sometimes I fall down, can't remember anything about the evening, speak incoherently, wake up at 2 am in a chair with the TV blaring, etc. These events combined with my many past failed attempts to change got me looking for other solutions. When I heard Dr. A on NPR and then read his book I felt hopeful for the first time in years.

Beatle,
                  My hope is that I can use a relatively low dose (100 mg) until I've achieved 4-6 months AF and then wean off it. Does that sound reasonable?

Comment

enjoying bac

I am enjoying baclofen, may not mind staying on it the rest of my life, low dose though..................hopefully my doc will allow it...............he said he would get off that before wellbutrin..............I asked him about d/c'ing wellbutrin, as taking it makes me have no appetite, I feel like I have lost too much weight.................and not depressed/anxious at all anymore w/ the bac.......................actually stopped the wellbutrin on my own, slowly...................but like the anxiety depression, lack of worry effects of bac. It really does help alot, so WANT to keep taking it!!!

good luck w/ whatever you guys do......................

hugs:l:l:l:l

MA
                    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Hi all, I am new here. I started out on Topamax and couldn't tolerate the side effects. I am a computer programmer and would literally just stare at the screen, unable to rub two thoughts together. I also forgot words and sounded like a bumbling idiot when I spoke.

So, I decided to try the baclofen. I titrated up in smaller increments: starting with 10 mg per day for 2 days, increasing by 5mg until I got up to 70mg currently. I still have not reached my switch yet, but I feel that it is close. I still craze alcohol, but I no longer feel the tight knot in my chest that is alleviated by a glass or 2 of wine, my poison of choice.

I have been drinking for 35 years, typically a bottle of wine, sometimes more, 4-5 nights a week. I am hoping the bac will take the cravings away so that I can actually do the work I need to do to get sober for good. So far I have had this stupid "last hurrah" mindset so have not been AF but a few times in the last couple of weeks.

I am so encouraged by what I read here, and so delighted by what a wonderful group of people you are. I pray that I, too, may soon share in your success. Please pray for me.

Hugs to you all.

PhoenixRising
                      Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                      That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                      Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                      Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

great!

Phoenix, you sound like me,...............(AND I couldn't take topamax, it didn't work for me either! Campral, nal, even they gave me antidepressants etc, nothing worked, just made me feel horrible w/ side effects)..........

no side effects really bothered me and I titrated up really really fast............some people thought TOO fast, but I was desperate!! I got to actually (more than Dr. A's formula accounting for my weight!)190 mg, then FINALLY desire GONE!! I still enjoy drinking though, so I can in moderation, which I LOVE!!! Good luck to ya!!!

MA:l:h
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Thanks, Cowgal. You are a sweetheart.

I haven't had much in the way of side effects; I had the somnomu-- er, sleepiness for the first time last night - I literally could NOT stay awake. 190, eh? Yikes that's a lot. I hope I don't have to go up that high, mainly for expense reasons. Are you still at 190?
                          Can others post at what level they hit their switch (if y'all don't mind, of course). I am really curious. I would love to just not obsess about alcohol.

I am an at-home drinker. I wonder if that makes it harder, as its not like I can avoid home. I tend to drink most when hubby is gone, and I conceal my drinking from him. I am so tired of feeling like sh*t about myself. I am 52 and I feel like I have wasted most of my life with alcohol.

cowgal;759196 wrote: Phoenix, you sound like me,...............(AND I couldn't take topamax, it didn't work for me either! Campral, nal, even they gave me antidepressants etc, nothing worked, just made me feel horrible w/ side effects)..........

no side effects really bothered me and I titrated up really really fast............some people thought TOO fast, but I was desperate!! I got to actually (more than Dr. A's formula accounting for my weight!)190 mg, then FINALLY desire GONE!! I still enjoy drinking though, so I can in moderation, which I LOVE!!! Good luck to ya!!!

MA:l:h
                          Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.

Comment

Phoenix

I am 53 and tried to hide my drinking from my wife...an exercise in futility for me. I too am tired of feeling sh*tty about myself. I've only just begun this experiment with Baclofen, but I am hopeful. I think if you titrate up gradually enough your body can accommodate the change and you won't feel sleepy. Tonight I make a long, late afternoon drive to the university where I teach so I will guzzle a can of Red Bull before I hit the road just to be safe. Take care and good luck!

Comment

Hey Don, has the Bac eased your cravings yet?
                              I work at a University also. I am able to conceal my drinking pretty well, considering my spouse is a cop! I think my tolerance is just so high that, for me, a bottle of wine doesn't get me high anymore, just puts me to sleep. (so, why bother? I know...)
                              P.

DonsBac;759202 wrote: I am 53 and tried to hide my drinking from my wife...an exercise in futility for me. I too am tired of feeling sh*tty about myself. I've only just begun this experiment with Baclofen, but I am hopeful. I think if you titrate up gradually enough your body can accommodate the change and you won't feel sleepy. Tonight I make a long, late afternoon drive to the university where I teach so I will guzzle a can of Red Bull before I hit the road just to be safe. Take care and good luck!

Comment

Could somebody please tell me what Dr. A's weight formula is?
                                :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                                :what?:
                                sigpic
                                Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                                A Forum
                                Trolls need not apply

Comment

Working...
                                X