Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

clever

you are so clever............both of you!!! Loop I have always admired (til I found out he was a guy!:H:H:H:H) but you Phillip...............both are a wealth of information..................i always wanted to know more about GABA stuff............cool.....................

thanks for all your wise insight..........................:thanks:

xoxoxoxoxo:l

MA
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Dr Phill;774006 wrote: Lo0p is, as always, right.

But, might there be a syndrome here? If there is, it is a complex concept. Lo0p will be much cleverer about it than me, and maybe even disagree, but here goes! I'm going to use analogies again. Bear with me!

Your brain is, quite obviously, the largest concentration of nerve cells in your body. But there is an organ that also has a huge concentration of nerve cells for its size. Your tongue.

Some of us have lousy palates. Some of us can't taste anything. Some of us have amazing palates, and can discern almost anything. Some eat a curry (or whatever) and just wolf down the whole lot just tasting one homogenous lump. Others can taste every single ingredient. Some can't stand hot temperatures. Others don't mind. Some have to have everything almost boiling. Salty appeals to some, but repulses others. The same applies to sweet, sour, bitter and umami.

So, just for a minute think of your brain as your tongue dipping into a soup of neurotransmitters. GABA is one, and so therefore is Baclofen. Endorphins are others.

To pursue the analogy, it appears that we all have different, genetically pre-ordained “tongues”. Some people couldn’t tell the difference between malt vinegar and VSOP Cognac. Some people could tell you which grape, which year and which sherry barrel the VSOP came from.

I believe that I have a “brain tongue” that can taste alcohol. It totally gets it, and likes it. A lot. Far too much. More than my liver could put up with, it appears. Why is it that members of the same family always finish up fighting over drink!!

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. I have never gambled in my life. I would die before I ever smoked. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than risk a ?/$ on a bet. Funny, isn’t it? Well, maybe not. Alcohol is what my “brain tongue” finds tasty. And of course, if you’re unlucky, you have lots of special “tastes”. I guess in that regard I am lucky.

So, to go back to Spectra's original question - neurotransmitter anomaly +/- other neurotransmitter anomalies + alcohol abuse = a syndrome.

Neurotransmitter anomaly +/- other neurotransmitter anomalies might one day be classified as a disease and have a name (we call it HFD for now on baclofen4alcoholism.com), and alcohol susceptibility be a symptom of that disease. Let's wait and see.

Hope that made sense.
      Take care
      Pip
      xx
      Thanks Phill... "brain tongue"? -- as always, interesting, and in this case very, um, unappetizing... but a thought-provoking comment nevertheless.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hey Phill, note the emoticon before you get insulted, ok?
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Okay, I'll respond. Hopefully I'll have the energy to throw this post together tonight... :ranger
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

Okay this is gonna take a while. I've got to go through my archives and pull some abstracts and stuff but I've got to say this:

cowgal;774010 wrote: Loop I have always admired (til I found out he was a guy!:H:H:H:H)
            You still love me :l even if you have to chalk one up for the other team! ps. I owe it all to my mother

edit: you know I'm Evan from b4a.com right?
            sigpic

A Forum
            Trolls need not apply

Comment

Lo0p, I await your reply. And I'm sure it will clarify everything.

But before you go there:

A member here did pose some very serious and important questions in regard to my own definition of baclofen as a supplement-- and since I can't PM directly (no PM space left), I'd just like to say that this person's concerns are valid and relevant.

I compared baclofen to supplements, and I stand by that comparison. However, as this member pointed out, baclofen can have serious side-effects. And everybody should be aware of that. And act accordingly.

Especially everyone should be aware that it can have somnolence effects... so don't drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how you react to baclofen.

Incidentally, my uncle recently had surgery for his "tennis elbow" and was prescribed high-dose ibuprofen for the healing period, and advised to not drive or operate heavy machinery until he knew how he reacted to the pain-killer.

So, let's all remember that baclofen has strong effects and that we need to take that seriously. We need to be careful. Absolutely. As we do with any medication, over-the-counter, natural, or prescription.

Comment

Well, she does know now Evan!!!

You have been a fantastic adjunct to Baclofen4alcoholism.com, and I thank you for it.

When you reply, please don't tear my proposition apart, my friend. Remember that I am using an analogy to try to help the overall understanding for the lay person. I have a long and well earned reputation as a medical educator and communicator. I've even won awards for it.

It isn't scientifically perfect. It wasn't meant to be. It was me just rambling on, as I do! It was meant to make sense of a ton of information in a way that helps the rest of us get what Baclofen is, why it is different for us, why we're taking it, and what the implications of taking it might be.

I could've sent you this privately. But I think that, over such an important subject, it is important that MWO sees the kind of discussions people like us have "behind closed doors". The more they, and we, understand, the better.

Thank you for being such a star. Your efforts do not go unnoticed.

Pip

Comment

Phill, you are still having a problem with the emoticoms, aren't you?:upset:

Comment

what's an emoticom?

Comment

I have been reading a lot of this thread - too many posts to read all - but very interesting and I was wondering if anyone has a link to the clinical trials for baclofen ? Or peer reviewed scientific articles of the same? I know this thread (individual progress reports) is by definition anecdotal evidence - due to the small sample set. Is there any good scientific journals that I could read more about this subject Baclofen in relation to Alcohol use cases with large sample sets? Thanks.

Comment

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html
                        sigpic

A Forum
                        Trolls need not apply

Comment

Thank you so much for your email reply Dr Phil, i am not alone it seems!

I'm sure that everyone is aware of the seriousness of Baclofen. I am aware that it's not a "Miracle cure", although to some it has been exactly that which is what peaked my interest. What i'm saying is the reason i am venturing down this path is simply because i think i have a difiency chemically in my brain and when you see a medication that potentially fills that need and has been on the market for a number of years without any controversy surrounding it, it's damn well worth a shot i reckon.

I think a lot of us have been through hell and back too many times through the agony of trying to abstaine of the years that taking Baclofen is peanuts in the grand scheme of things, although we have to be incredibly careful if it doesn't have the effect or end goal result we are all looking for.

There is nothing worse than the hope of something that never comes, i'm ready for the fall but enjoying the path so far. I'm up to 30 mgs a day now and ready to up it a little as of tomorrow, slow steps for me.

Comment

GREAT!!!

I am so happy for this site!! was almost nodding off, but I am glad I came on and checked stuff out.................finally getting a life together, thanks to some friends here and elsewhere...........have officially separated from husband of 19 years..............last 8 or so have been miserable...................long story, won't go into it here, BUT i am glad, so glad to see everyone here joining in and co-habitating w/ other sites, I personally believe baclofen4 is an awesome site, and the sponsor is wonderful, his heart is really into it.............which is cool as can be............but to each his own....................

I am just happy, feeling liberated, and wanted to share my happiness w/ you all, my dearest of friends, who have been here for me over the past 2 plus years for support.................

lots of love,:l:h

Emoticons , Dr. Phil are all the smiley faces on the right side of the screen, you may insert them anywhere you wish to..................and there are extras if you go to "more" they are sweet, I love having them..................that is why I love this site so...................:loveyou: ha ha ha!? see, you can add anything you want, and the pms are great too..............you need to just learn how to navigate around this site a little..............can you tell I have alot of time on my hands?I mean I AM a senior member, and you get that by the # of posts you put on!!?? sad, huh??? get a life............got one now!!! thank you!!! xoxo

MA
                            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

A question for Lo0p.

I want to start a page on baclofen4alcoholism.com that provides a critique of as many brands of Baclofen as I can. If you have already done it, or one exists elsewhere, there is no point in me reinventing the wheel.

However, notwithstanding that, I was thinking along the lines of asking as many members as possible to provide information on a (say) 1 to 5 linear scale of their satisfaction, side effects / service / price etc. You know the kind of thing. This could then be averaged for each brand / supplier for each component; maybe illustrated by a star system. They're everywhere these days, instantly recognised and understood.

It wouldn't reach your heady levels of scientific / statistical analysis, but I think that, as a "Users' Guide", generated by users, it would be fit for purpose. Certainly a positive addition to the information stream.

It would, of course, require people to join in with regular reminder prompts, but it is an issue about which I receive a lot of personal e-mails. It does concern people. I have seen similar discussions here.

Thanks, my friend.

Comment

Sorry, I forget!!

:thanks:

Was that OK? Ha!!

Comment

Working...
                                X