Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd post - Anyone use campral and have their spouse see significant changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started campral today and I am pleading with my wife to stay with me for a period of time to see if this helps me with AA to stay sober and not be anti social and an ass to others during early sobriety before she files for divorce. Does anyone have any feedback about their experiences?

I don't have much experience with campral as i drank whilst taking it....duh me !
    I do know that during my periods of being af i do sort of go into myself a lot and find myself being anti-social,not wanting to talk,etc.etc.
    I think it's about trying to find out who you really are,what you really feel and stuff like that and it all seems rare without the al...
    For me i could easily put a face on for outsiders but at home,and to the closest people in my life,i didn't want to know,listen or talk...Maybe a part of me was saying 'don't get to used to this,it's not the real me' when really it was...
    Sorry,i do ramble but just thought i'd post my thoughts.
    Like everything,it takes time.I hope your wife can understand that and give you the space you need to clear your head...
    Time alone alone with your thoughts and emotions will help.
    And,if your on your own,you can only be an ass to yourself...lol

Good luck,take care and if need be count to ten before you speak...(i had to count to 50)

Hugs & Prayers

annie
    x
    "Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
    Bring it on!

Comment

Hi Gr8t, I have been taking campral for some time now, and it works for me. It won't work if you drink while taking it, also it takes approx 3 weeks before it really takes effect. It has very few side effects compared to other meds. I occasionally take antabuse, if I'm am at risk of drinking, which completely rules out al. unless you really want to be ill. I have been sober for 3 months now, and my family have seen big changes in me. So yes I would recommend anything that helps.
      Good luck.

Comment

i am anti-social myself... drinking or not... is pretty much the same.
        although now i feel i can chat for a bit longer... maybe max 10 minutes... then i need to be alone w/my thoughts.
        this is just me though, growing up in an isolated environment is probably the root cause of it all. it is comfortable and normal for me to be alone and i do not apologize for this.

Comment

Thank you for your responses everyone, I am taking it one day at a time and I have already noticed a difference with reduced cravings and being able to enjoy activities w/o al. My wife obviosly is still not 100% on board with the meds she feels I am replacing the AL with pills. Cant be AF with just a pill as it is not a mirracle drug or none of us would have anything to work on. Everyone stay AF and KIT

GR8

Comment

Hi gr8dad,

Campral is wonderful anti-craving drug.

Use any weapon you can lay your hands on to kill this beast. Just put it in your bag of armour.

Take it ODAT - one day at a time. In fact there's a thread here you can post on.

I still take it ODAT and I'm nearly 3 months AF. But just for today I will not have a drink.

All the best.

Jackie xxx
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

It's too bad that your wife is not quite on board with you. Keep up the good work, though, and she may just become a major fan of campral. I imagine that she doesn't want to get disappointed and is remaining skeptical for now.
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I am so glad that I found MWO as the words of inspiration and advice are priceless. ODAT is my new modo, My wife is very skeptical if not completely drained at this point, I am at the point now where I can no longer talk to her about anything without her screaming. I have not been an angel in the past with my AL addiction but today is a sober day and that is all that matters. Campral has definately aided in controling cravings this weekend as fights with my wife were huge triggers.

Comment

You can do it!

I was pretty much at the end of the rope also-everything was great in the "real" world and even though I have a high-profile position in a large company no one knew about my problem-however, my wife did! I went to a non-12 step program for a month and immediately started taking Campral-it is the most amazing drug, at least for me. I have never had a craving since. I am happy with my life, which is the key to recovery.

It took a long time for my wife to believe that I had really changed....8 months later, she now believes. Don't give up and if you will change your perceptions, everything else (including additions) will change automatically. And don't let her "drive" you to hit the bottle again-only YOU can make that choice. I will be sending my positive energy to you!

Comment

Working...
                  X