baclofen or topomax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen or topomax?

It sounds like Baclofen is the more popular. What's the general consensus? Also, can you take them together?

baclofen or topomax?

Kimber,

Please read as much info about both of these drugs that you can. There is a ton of info on this website alone. Everyone is different and everyone's experiences are different with each drug.

I tried Topomax and stopped after about 3 weeks due to the side-effect. Although Baclofen has side effects, the only one that concerns me is the extreme (somnolence) tired feeling I get on it. (And apparently my grammar suffers sometimes) LOL. All in all, Baclofen has helped me immensley with cravings and anxiety.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

As Bright says, we are all different. Many people who don't respond to the Topamax do respond to the Baclofen. But for others the Topa does the trick.

The difference is that Topa affects the GABA-A receptors, as do all the other meds, like naltrexone, campral, and others, while Bac affects the GABA-B receptors. This is what Dr. O attributes to the high success rate with Baclofen for people who do not respond to the other meds.

Apparently, there are other meds available that affect the GABA-B receptors, but they are all highly addictive. According to Dr. O., Bac is the only one that affects the GABA-B receptors that is NOT addictive.

From what I've read on this forum, both Bac and Topa can have fairly strong, and for some unbearable, side effects, while many who take it have very few, or no, side-effects (see Tip, pandafarts, etc.). The side-effects of Bac and Topa seem to be very similar, too.

My side-effects with Bac have been medium -- not mild, but not severe. These can be very uncomfortable and distressing at times, but the amazing results from Bac far outweigh these side-effects, which do abate with time and can be dealt with by careful titrating.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

On another note: Baclofen is simply a synthetic version of a substance naturally occurring in all mammals. Apparently, some of us are deficient in this substance, which makes us more susceptible to anxiety, depression, personality disorders, and addiction.

I have hypothyroidism and I take a synthetic version of a hormone that stimulates the thyroid. I will have to do this for the rest of my life if I want my body to function normally. I see Bac as the same sort of thing.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

beatle,
          bac is a synthetic version of what substance naturally occurring in all mammals. are you referring to GABA?

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

yes, it is a neurotransmitter. Baclofen is called a "neurotransmitter-mimic".

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

beatle;744267 wrote: The difference is that Topa affects the GABA-A receptors, as do all the other meds, like naltrexone :no:, campral, and others, while Bac affects the GABA-B receptors.
              Naltrexone doesn't affect GABA-A receptors. It is an antagonist of opioid receptors.

I don't mean to be a dork, but I think this should be cleared up.
              :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
              :what?:
              sigpic
              Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
              A Forum
              Trolls need not apply

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

Beatle,
                Long time no chat. Please continue your arguments and erudication. As you know it is of great interest to me.
                Any more Pharmas on the way. (Just to remind you I'm a Nal success!!?? Whatever that means)
                Long Road
                Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

LooP, I admit I know little about this. I should not have acted as if I did.

Long Road, I am happy to hear you have had success with Nal. It means a lot. See my separate thread on this.

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

No worries Beatle.

You were probably just slightly misquoting Ameisen, and what you said was mostly correct.
                    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                    :what?:
                    sigpic
                    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                    A Forum
                    Trolls need not apply

Comment

baclofen or topomax?

actually, I really appreciate that you pointed that out. I hate to be spreading wrong information. Usually I am more careful, but I guess that just got stuck in my head somehow. You are definitely not a dork to want to clear that up.

Comment

Working...
                      X