Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is baclofen's short duration of action a serious problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping,

The Bac works best if you try to remain Alcohol Free. There is a ton of information on this site, please read through some of the threads and dosing schedules.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Greg;800838 wrote: Maybe baclofen can be substituted for benzos in some cases, if a doctor could supervise it (unlikely I know).
      It can't, but it may help with slow benzo withdrawal.
      I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

eight days a week;800914 wrote: It can't, but it may help with slow benzo withdrawal.
        Thanks for making this point clear. Personally I have found that baclofen produces different effects in me than benzos anyway, so therefore that is a hint that it may not substitute for them, but of course that's just my experience. I imagine baclofen's short half life would also be a problem in trying to use it for benzo withdrawal. It has been said occasionally that alcohol, benzos, and baclofen are all pretty much the same because they are all GABA agonists but I'd be careful in generalising this too much. Baclofen's GABA-B agonist effect could well have differences to the GABA-A agonist effect of the benzos and the newer short-acting sleeping medications called Z-drugs (zolpidem, zopiclone, zaleplon).

Comment

You're welcome Greg. I'm benzo (diazepam) dependent and trying to come off the stuff, and this is the expert medical advice I have been given.

Benzos are very dangerous to come off too quickly, and Bac may make it easier to reduce, but it is absolutely no substitute when dependent.
          I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Well, I have to admit to being benzo-dependent too. I took 1 mg of alprazolam each afternoon for years when drinking to offset alcohol withdrawals, and now that I've detoxed from alcohol, the benzo use remains an issue.

My doctor has proposed a switch to diazepam as a substitute for alprazolam, then gradual tapering of the diazepam over 3 to 6 months. This long time frame is freaking me a bit, but then again I drank to extreme excess for years!!

I was going to start a new thread about the benzo issue to see if others had any opinions or advice, but I don't think I will, since this forum is really about alcohol.

Comment

Greg;801240 wrote: Well, I have to admit to being benzo-dependent too. I took 1 mg of alprazolam each afternoon for years when drinking to offset alcohol withdrawals, and now that I've detoxed from alcohol, the benzo use remains an issue.

My doctor has proposed a switch to diazepam as a substitute for alprazolam, then gradual tapering of the diazepam over 3 to 6 months. This long time frame is freaking me a bit, but then again I drank to extreme excess for years!!

I was going to start a new thread about the benzo issue to see if others had any opinions or advice, but I don't think I will, since this forum is really about alcohol.
              From all my research and experience with this, what you say about benzos (and your doctor says) makes sense, Greg.

Gradual tapering will reduce the withdrawal. I don't know about the time schedule, and three to six months does sound like a lot, but I suspect your doctor knows about this, and probably wants to make the process as safe and painless as possible.

As for starting a new thread about it, I cannot see any reason why not to. Other addictions are often related to alcohol addiction, or accompany alcohol addiction (or lead to or follow alcohol addiction).

I believe benzos are one of the most linked substances to alcohol addiction.

So go ahead with the thread, Greg. :thumbs:
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
              X