Baclofen and Kidney Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question, would anyone know the answer? I hit the 'switch off' button with Baclofen on 21 December. Amazing. Had titrated up very fast in this last stage (had stuck at 165mg for months due to work). So went from 200 up to 225 overnight on the 20th Dec and on 21st had my first alcohol free night without any alcoholic longings etc.

But ... over last 3 days experienced hallucinations (ok, can handle that), nausea (unusual for me), in bath noticed some slight swelling of ankles ... missed my last 25 mg of baclofen last night due to vomiting but feel bright eyed and bushy tailed now (2.53 a.m.) Was sort of attributing all of these symptoms to usual baclofen side effects of increase in dose ... but nausea and ankles didn't fit with this and seemed more appropriate (along with hallucinations) to symptoms of baclofen withdrawal. Yet, know my pills ok - they have kicked off the switch. And, yes, I did get a check up when starting baclofen that showed no probs and, no, I have no pre-existing kidney problems. Woke though with one short clear pain in my lower back (yep, just where one of a pair of kidneys sits that I've been carting around with me for the last 40 years wondering what the hell they do ...). Urination as usual is always frequent with baclofen, and no blood in urine and no marked colour change. Don't want to ask GP as she hasn't come near me since I mentioned, lightly and casually, that I was self-prescribing baclofen and that I needed her help ... yes, I know I should have been patient with her but that requires self-assertion of which my tank is empty.
    Ok so now questions, and I'm sorry to be a pest and really appreciate that I shouldn't have started a new thread but when oh when is there ever going to be a search facility on this website? probably there is though and I haven't noticed it ...
    Questions:
    Have I the beginnings of kidney issues and is my only means of response to this to go to GP AND/OR titrate down an lose the switch? Like all of you, I would give much much much to kill the tiger of alcohol and the switch is the brilliant place where all counselling for this disease should begin. Good grief! I thought: so this is how it feels for people who aren't alcoholics - they go: "No thanks," when offered a drink and mean it. This is revelatory! And I'm desperate not to lose it. The earliest I've seen for having titrated down from Bac (somewhere here) is 12 days and most people seem to do that 10 mgs at a time - not in big 25 mg chunks (ref. to losing that last pill when puking last night). In fact, Loop mentions that he plans 'on titrating back down the way Ameisen did on days 49-63'. Is from 20th to 31st December long enough to 'fix' the switch and begin to titrate down? What are the consequences of going down by 25 mg? if I titrate back up to 225 mg today what about kidney problems? What can I do to help the kidneys I've discovered I have? Drink lots of water?
    I know someone out there must know ...
    Oh, and by the way, before I forget you should visit Dr Phil's website baclofen4alcoholism.com he's a complete star and we need Baclofen explored/popularised etc.

Hi there Witsend.
    I dont take Bac, but I know a lady who has had issues with water retention since quitting the booze and is also taking bac. Not sure if there is a connection there, but you might like to PM her to compare notes.
    Its LadyJan.
    Best wishes
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Witsend, I too take bac have done since Aug and have hit my switch and tirated down to 30/50 mg a day depending on whats goin on and I can really empathise when you said is this what it feels like to be normal yay its great isnt it. I do not profess to be a bac expert, there are a few on here try pm zenstyle or Bill P they are both very knowledgeable on the subject. But I was just wondering why cant you just go to your doctor and mention your kidney pain you might just have an infection which is unrelated to taking the bac. Just a thought and good luck to you. This is my first sober christmas in over 30 years ! I know for me I am prepared to weather most side effects within in reason to remain where bac has put me at in my drinking !

Comment

herbs for kidney health

I've tried to say this before here, with little response. Bac folks are really doing something unprecedented...this medication goes out through the kidneys and you MUST do a kidney cleanse herb at the same time. My MD and naturopath agree. Uva Ursi is the best, can be found the same places as Milk Thistle.

Comment

Anne,

How often should we cleanse the kidneys ?

I have read every 6-12 mth for a period of 3-6 weeks.

Does that sound correct to you?

Comment

Dear All,
            Thanks so much for your advice so far, it was really useful and it was kind of you to reply!

Comment

Just take it in pill form daily, like Milk Thistle, which I HOPE all alkies are taking!!!
              This Baclofen in high doses is scaring me; with the kidney issues

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone - I was too busy scaring myself! Look, I'm alive, well and no kidney collapse yet. Baclofen, in the few days since I had my switch, has already done more to help my kidneys than a future of drinking ever could.

Comment

milk thistle & kidney cleanse??

anne1232, can you elaborate on what you are taking and are saying we should be taking and why? this is my 4th day on the bac and i want to make sure I am doing what i need

thanks!!

Comment

anne1232;782720 wrote: I've tried to say this before here, with little response. Bac folks are really doing something unprecedented...this medication goes out through the kidneys and you MUST do a kidney cleanse herb at the same time. My MD and naturopath agree. Uva Ursi is the best, can be found the same places as Milk Thistle.
                    I would be slightly concerned about this. The following states it can cause liver damage:
                    Uva ursi

Comment

WitsEnd, from ~220mg I was forced in to titrating down off Baclofen very fast (my order hadn't arrived) just three days after going AF for the first time in five years. It was hard work dealing with the Bac withdrawal the side effects and the AL withdrawal, but I got down to 160mg in about a week and then to 120mg the following week, without any significant increase in AL cravings. If I can do it anyone can.

WRT the kidney stuff, do not take Bac with Tylenol/Paracetamol, I took 400mg Ibuprofen for headaches. I think it's a good idea to take any kind of supplements you can find, Berroca and L-Glut do the trick for me. One last thing I figured/felt/thought is that some of the symptoms of AL withdrawal and Baclofen side effects are similar but didn't necessarily reinforce each other.

Good Luck

S

Comment

Wit,

I would also greatly increase the intake of water to make up for the diuretic effect of the Baclofen.

Plain old water is what your kidneys need to help them.

If the pain persists, please go to a doctor.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Great: thanks. That's really useful Spectra - I found somewhere here the info about being able to titrate down after 12 days, so I'm going to start now. That interim maintenance dose of 120 mg is mentioned somewhere here too, so it's good to have real-life verification of this. I can only imagine the rough ride it must have been going down so sharply. Thanks for the advice about painkillers and I'll look out for Berroca and L-Glut.

Cinders: yes, you're so right about water. Woke last night completely parched - it is very weird with baclofen but I find that clear, sensible advice like that gets lost in your head. I was trying to remember what to do if you had cystitis and remembered water but then forgot completely about it again yesterday: duh! Kidney pain has receded - just amazing cobwebby hallucinations.

Thanks very much all of you :h.

Comment

Working...
                          X