Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baclofen in Russia: cheap, legal, but not popular. Why is that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1993, a group of Russian researchers commented on Baclofen's possible usefulness for treating affective disturbances in alcoholic patients :

(Will publish link when I have enough posts.)

I'm just wondering, why, given the very strong impetus for Russia to find ways to deal with its citizens' problem with alcohol, they did not extend the research far enough to reveal effects such as those reported by Dr Ameisen?

Does anyone have any ideas? After all, the Russians rated it as effective as diazepam for this purpose. Why did they go no further?

On another point, I am very interested in the potential of the drug, so this afternoon I walked up to the local pharmacy and bought myself a bottle of fifty ten-milligram pills and began to plan my own experiment (much like the rest of you have been doing.)

The pills in Moscow require no prescription and cost US$10 for the bottle ("Baclosan" from Polpharma, a Polish brand.)

Interestingly, the last item on the list of indications for use was "алкоголизм (аффективные расстройства)" – "alcoholism (affective disorders.)

I don't know if the Baclofen that the people on this forum have been buying has its instructions in English, but if they are, could someone check to see if "alcoholism" is included in the list of indications? It would be curious to see if there is a difference.

In short, Baclofen is recognised in Russia as an adjunct to the treatment of alcoholism and is freely available. Why haven't we seen the same kind of enthusiasm for the drug in Russia as we have on this forum (for example)? It would be a godsend for the country if it really was so effective.

No conspiracy theories, please.

The link

Here is the link I referred to above:

Baclofen administration for the treatment of affec... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 1993] - PubMed result

Comment

Hi Walrus

welcome to this forum you are very welcome. I have read your post and the link with much interest, as myself have been taking baclofen(purchased fron the internet I believe it comes from India) since last Aug, with great results.

I am truly amazed, why would a drug that can potentially help literally millions of people go unresearched. I can offer no explanation, unless it is the Russian culture of not sharing information that has stopped this information being distributed world wide.

Have you considered emailing what you have found to Oliveir Amestein, if you google him you can find his email address or PM me and I will give it to you as I have emailed him myself personnally and received several responses.

My baclofen does not have anything on it about use for al problems. I today googeld the bnf and the only use that has it lised for is muscular disorders ( I am in th UK).

It makes me very sad how little attention seems to be being given to this drug as I can only speak for myself but it has changed my life beyond belief. I have read that pharma companies come on here and look and listen to whats being said and tried, I truly hope that they are and that some forward thinking person will instigate a research programme on baclofen and its true potential can be reached and more people helped . Can I ask Walrus are you in Russia ? and what strength baclfen did you buy ? and is there anyway that we can buy baclofen online from Russia . And sorry just one more question does Russia have a big al problem and do doctors there prescribe it for their patients. Sorry to ask so many questions but I am a true baclofen convert and a living example of its effectivness and for those reasons i take a very keen interest on threads about it and any research on it. I wish you luck with taking baclofen and hope you have a positive experience with it BH

Comment

Hi Walrus

Hi Walrus and welcome. I second what BH has asked...

I got my first Baclofen order from 4rx.com only recently and there was nothing on it referring to alcoholism. I have started a thread here about my Baclofen journey, so early days. I have started this thread to keep an account for myself on this journey and hopefully, if I have success, will be help to others also.

Hope on our journey to all

cm xxx

Comment

Welcome to you, Walrus, and thank you for sharing this information. I can easily jump to conspiracy theories, and, unfortunately, they are mostly based on reality. But I just wanted to welcome you and tell you how much I appreciate your contribution.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Replies

Brave Hearted;792105 wrote: Hi Walrus

welcome to this forum you are very welcome. I have read your post and the link with much interest, as myself have been taking baclofen(purchased fron the internet I believe it comes from India) since last Aug, with great results.

I am truly amazed, why would a drug that can potentially help literally millions of people go unresearched. I can offer no explanation, unless it is the Russian culture of not sharing information that has stopped this information being distributed world wide.

Have you considered emailing what you have found to Oliveir Amestein, if you google him you can find his email address or PM me and I will give it to you as I have emailed him myself personnally and received several responses.

My baclofen does not have anything on it about use for al problems. I today googeld the bnf and the only use that has it lised for is muscular disorders ( I am in th UK).

It makes me very sad how little attention seems to be being given to this drug as I can only speak for myself but it has changed my life beyond belief. I have read that pharma companies come on here and look and listen to whats being said and tried, I truly hope that they are and that some forward thinking person will instigate a research programme on baclofen and its true potential can be reached and more people helped . Can I ask Walrus are you in Russia ? and what strength baclfen did you buy ? and is there anyway that we can buy baclofen online from Russia . And sorry just one more question does Russia have a big al problem and do doctors there prescribe it for their patients. Sorry to ask so many questions but I am a true baclofen convert and a living example of its effectivness and for those reasons i take a very keen interest on threads about it and any research on it. I wish you luck with taking baclofen and hope you have a positive experience with it BH
            Thank you, Brave Hearted, Chocolate Mousse, and beatle for your warm welcomes!

To Brave Hearted,

To your suggestion that it is the Russian culture of not sharing information, I'd suggest that it is rather more the fact that most doctors on the ground here are not in the habit of checking the literature ? especially in English or French. They are overworked and underpaid, From what I have seen, they tend to stick to old ways of hypnosis and implants. On the other side, it seems a little odd that the authors of the article I referred to don't seem to have followed up on the matter as I am sure they must have the language skills and motivation to do so.

I haven't considered mailing Dr Ameisan as I really have nothing to tell him at this point. Perhaps if I have even a little success, I might suggest he get his book translated into Russian.

You mention that you have had success with this drug. Could I ask you to summarise your experience with it in just a few lines? While the long threads are interesting to read, they lose focus. I'd be very grateful if you could just list a short version:

When did you start taking it and at what dosage? How much you were drinking at the time?

How fast did you ramp up your dosage?

How much are you drinking now?

What other changes did you make in your thinking and behaviour while you were taking advantage of reduced cravings?

For me, that kind of compressed information would be very useful.

About your other questions:

Yes, I am in Russia, which is how I managed to dart up to the local chemist to buy the drug after reading this site (10 mg).

I have no idea if you can buy it online from here. If you can source it at home, there really is no need.

And yes, Russia has deep-rooted problems with alcohol that far overshadow those in the West. It corrodes the country spiritually, economically, and demographically. I'll leave it to you to research the details.

To Chocolate Mousse,

Interesting that both your and Brave Hearted's inserts did not mention alcoholism as an indication. Perhaps that's a regulatory thing or nothing important at all.

Just to remind ? on mine, it mentioned the use of Baclofen to treat affective disorders stemming from alcoholism, that is, mood disorders (reducing tension and withdrawal effects as noted on this forum.) For me, if it works in this way, it would already be a step ahead of using traditional tranquillisers. Whether there will be any substantial effects on craving and so on, well, let's just see.

To beatle,

Thanks again for the welcome!

If you really do have some entertaining conspiracy theories, I guess I should let down my guard and invite you to post them!

As I mentioned above, Russia has a huge issue with alcohol abuse. I really can't believe that the state has any interest in weakening its citizens via this vector.

Please tell me, who do you think is keeping this therapy silent?

The CIA?

The FSB!

The fact that Baclofen has been tried here and doesn't work? (I have absolutely no supporting evidence for this.)

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Walrus

Comment

Conspiracy theories

They are not entertaining, and unfortunately, they are far more than theories.

On MANY occasions it has been proven that the big international drug companies, through many channels and in insidious, well-calculated ways, influence politics, health care and pretty much everything that can affect their profits. As a result, the big drug companies get richer at the cost of millions, perhaps billions of lives. They don't care (obviously), and even when they are sued (at least in the U.S.) for billions of dollars and keep losing lawsuits and having to pay out huge sums of money to people affected (maimed, injured or killed by drugs), they still make so much money that these lawsuits are just irritating to them.

In Europe now, it has been revealed that there have been all kinds of connections between the drug companies, which produce the swine flu vaccinations, and the recommendations of world organizations regarding the so-called pandemic. The Counsel of Europe is debating a resolution accusing the drug companies of "leaning on" public health officials to spread the alarm about the swine flu.

See these articles :

European Parliament to Investigate WHO and ?Pandemic? Scandal

Drug companies face European inquiry over swine flu vaccine stockpiles | World news | guardian.co.uk

Mega Corruption Scandal At The WHO

The country I live in has just renegotiated a contract with one of the major drug companies to reduce its order for swine flu vaccines, due to the false information that caused it to order so much. It will save this small country around 50 million dollars. However, the drug companies won't take back the excess that has already been shipped, so the country is donating a million (yes a million) of the excess vaccines it has already received to the WHO to be distributed to poorer countries (who can't afford to pay the drug companies for the vaccine). The connections are not just theories, they are fact.

So, Baclofen: It is a generic medication-- no patent, no money to be made. Simple as that. Do the drug companies care that millions, probably billions of people's lives are ruined by alcohol? And there is a medication that has proven potential to help these people? Not if there isn't any money to be made. And who funds the huge, double-blind studies necessary for a medication (like Campral or Naltextrone) to get approved and accepted? All of this is in Dr. Ameisen's book, so I won't go on about it.

So, conspiracy theory? Perhaps... but to me it looks like the only explanation for an incomprehensibly reprehensible and immoral situation -- the real pandemic in this world is alcoholism, but the vaccine can't be patented. If someone has a better explanation, a more logical one, one that holds up better, I'd like to hear it.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Whow Beatle I dont care what anybody thinks, in my mind you have hit the nail right on the head ! Pharma companies have no social conscence and their only motive to research anything is potential profit ! I am in the UK and as far as I can see the swine flu pandemic is just a very well orchastarted piece of propaganda to promote mass vaccination, which will further line the pockets of the pharma companies ! They want to vaccinate all schol age children ! my son who is 13 most deffinatly will not be having the vaccination , I had decide that prior to reading your post Beatle, but what you have said has endorsed my original decison. Conclusion Baclofen does not equal bucks ! so zero interest !

Comment

Having been to Russia, my guess is that hard drinking is so much part of the culture, and is far less taboo than in certain other countries (I only know about the UK and Japan here, and in the UK it's increasingly taboo) that people don't think about it and worry about it as much. Just my thoughts.

It's the same in Japan. Very heavy drinking culture that everyone turns a blind eye to and just accepts. I don't know and it's only a guess, but I'd be extremely surprised if they have AA meetings in Japan that are attended by any significant percentage of Japanese nationals.

I think it's just cultural 'norms'.
                  I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

wow beatle,i have read and heard many of them stories before.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

What shocks me is that this swine flu vaccine scandal is all over the news here, but my American friends have not heard a thing about it. Meanwhile, the headlines here are calling it the biggest health scandal ever. Why is the US press not even covering this?

Comment

Working...
                      X