drinking on baclofen..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drinking on baclofen..?

Hi guys! For one, I hope so much Cowgirl is ok. It saddens me SO much as well as all of you i am sure, what alcohol can do. im sure she didnt intend on hurting herself, but drank to much and maybe chugged baflocen pills in a drunk state.

anyway, i am two weeks af now. in two more weeks id like to try drinking on baflocen and was wondering what everyones experience is drinking on it. they say you can take it or leave it. is this true? does drinking not feel the same? do you not get as "high" or happy from it?

drinking on baclofen..?

Hi T4C

I've only been ten days or so on Bac (and I also take diazepam 8mg daily for anxiety, which doesn't help in the mix) and only up to 40mg daily. For me Bac seems to make me quite dizzy and forgetful/uncordinated when I drink on it, but then I was noticing a bad effect on my memory from the diazepam even before I started the Bac.

Also, it does make me very somnolent (love that word instead of 'sleepy' - makes me feel all scientific!) and while I might be able to stay awake on just the Bac, with a few drinks too it's incredibly easy to nod off.

By the way, I try to take the diazepam druing the day and away from the booze which I start later on (but trying to take Bac all through the day).

All the best to you

eight
    I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

Ive heard of Diazepam and I believe it definitely causes sleepiness! Well keep up the good work. Id be interested in others answers on whether baclofen effects the good feeling we've come to feel from alcohol. Like if we can have a few while taking baclofen, enjoy it, ( still like the feeling) and kow when to stop.

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

Thanks my friend!

Diazepam does cause sleepiness if you're not used to it, but I'm so used to it now after many months taking it that it no longer does on its own, and only slightly with alcohol. So, the great sleepiness was either due to adding Bac to the mix, or due to the Bac alone.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say
        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

I have been drinking on bac and my experience was at first it magnified the alcohol's effect, which made me drink less because I felt drunk sooner.

After a while, it didn't seem to do that anymore-- in fact the opposite.

For me, the bac now does diminish the alcohol "good feeling", which can be dangerous if you drink more to try to get that feeling (which I have done on several occasions) -- but it can also work to help you to decrease (or stop) drinking.

I don't quite understand how Naltextrone is different than Bac in this re-wiring aspect (although there have been some very good attempts on this subject to get my thick brain to comprehend). Everyone keeps saying Nal rewires your brain by making alcohol less rewarding (changing the way your brain reacts to alcohol). But to me, Bac does the same thing. I guess there is some physiological and/or chemical explanation for the difference.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

beatle I think the easiest way to explain it is that Nal works on the endorphin reward-system of the brain, and Baclofen works on GABA, which is a completely different chemical system.

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

eight days a week;795954 wrote: beatle I think the easiest way to explain it is that Nal works on the endorphin reward-system of the brain, and Baclofen works on GABA, which is a completely different chemical system.
              Thank you eightdays. Lo0p once kindly gave me a detailed explanation, and I thought I understood it at the time, but then I started to become unsure. I still think baclofen can accomplish the same kind of thing (rewiring) as Nac in principle because it does change the reward system, albeit in a chemically different way. I know Nal is supposed to make a lasting rewiring so that you don't have to take it for the rest of your life, but baclofen must also be doing rewiring since you can taper way down to a maintenance level after hitting your "switch" -- that sounds like a physiological rewiring.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

You're most welcome my friend.

Of course, you wouldn't gather anything from what I wrote unless you Googled 'endorphin' and 'GABA'.

From what I gather, some people drink more for the endorphin reward, and others for the GABA. Personally I think I'm a mix, which is why I'm so hopeful now that I've added the Bac in (to tackle the GABA side of things) as well as the endorphin (covered by Nal).

It's all pretty complicated stuff! I'm just happy if people take either and it works for them, whether or not they fully understand the science behind it!

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

Thanks so much again, eightdays.

Of course, I am quite familiar with GABA and endorphins (having googled them each about a thousand times in the past). What you said really makes sense.

I have always wanted to try Nal, even before I ever heard of bac, but can't get a long-term script, so figured it was useless. But I guess you can get it from online pharms? Again, that stuff will not get through customs here, but I can always use one of my undercover couriers (often myself) to get it in.

I'm sure this is all answered on the TSM threads, but I can't look all over for them-- so, does anybody know how much Nal costs online? And where is the best place to get it? (I would have it mailed to the U.S. (where I have friends and family)).

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

Go to River Pharmacy as this seems to be the online pharmacy of choice and you can view the prices yourself!

Comment

drinking on baclofen..?

I've ordered Nal from River and AllDayChemist, and been very happy with the service from both. River's more expensive, and based in Canada I believe, though both ship from India.

LaBear, how nice to see you here! Do hope things are well

Comment

Working...
                      X