X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new user intro + Sinclair Method / Naltrexone diary

A big welcome to you GettingBetter (great username btw )

Wishing for every success on your new journey! You've realised you have a problem, and now you're doing something about it, it doesn't get much better than that eh?

I got the light-headed SE, it even went further into feeling quite uncomfortable around other people, disconnected from reality. But the side effects only lasted a day or two - actually three days at 25mgs, and about the same when I stepped up to 50mgs. There's no recommend increase in dosage that I've seen, just to step up when you feel like the SEs are under control. Even if it takes a week, you're doing something that will hopefully cure you for life!!

Also my friend, don't forget to carry info in your wallet that you're taking Nal. This would be absolutely crucial if you were in an emergency and needed surgery - because the Nal will stop the most common painkillers they would give you from working, but they would have no idea!

All the best, can't wait to follow your progress

eight
    I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

19:30 - start drinking lager. It does seem a bit duller somehow, but that could just be my imagination. I just went to the shop to buy some cigs (I only smoke when I drink) and will see how the Naltrexone affects smoking. I think I've read that Naltrexone won't affect nicotine addiction but I figured tonight I'll try and smoke with my drinking since that's what I normally do.

I think this stuff could work.

eight days a week: Thanks for the kind words, I think being on this site will help me figure this stuff out. I don't know if I'm an alcoholic (maybe I am), but I clearly have some issues with alcohol, and Dr Sinclair says that the Sinclair Method helps not just alcoholics but also people who drink too much.

How long did you feel "disconnected from reality" (I think I see what you mean)? Do you think I'll still have that side effect tomorrow when I go to work?

Regarding carrying information about me taking Naltrexone in my wallet, I'd rather not. I worry that someone would find it.

Comment

Ah my friend, I used to drive past one of the most famous alcohol rehab places in the UK quite often and think 'how do these people get themselves into so much trouble with alcohol?' - I just couldn't comprehend it. That was about five years ago. And I'd go home at night and have a load of beer! I guess I thought I was OK because alcohol hadn't yet caused any major problems in my life - it's easy to live in blissful ignorance! Look at me now - been to detox/rehab three times, almost killed myself last year by getting into such a state, drinking 24/7 and not being able to eat - my friend it can so quickly turn from what you might think is 'just a bit of a problem' into a huge problem.

You're nipping it in the bud before you get to that stage. Not only do I admire you, I'm jealous!

Regarding the medical info, who would find it that would bother to research what it is you're taking? I used to have a note in there just saying 'taking Naltrexone 50mg per day'. Now I have the proper card from the UK medical inserts (it's that important they include four cards in each months' pack of Nal here!) It's completely neutral - it just says what you're taking, not that it's for opiate addiction (the only thing it's licensed for here) or alcohol problems, and that in a medical emergency any opioid-based painkillers won't work. They have alts available, but need to know what they're dealing with (morphine for example, won't work for you on Nal). Please do think about that.

The reality 'disconnect' (I felt very strange talking to people, for example, and actually would rather not be around them at all for the first few evenings on Nal) lasted just for the evening - by the next morning I felt fine (25mgs covers your opioid receptors, in theory, totally, for up to 12 hours).

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

8-LOL damn it creeps up fast doesnt it..like when booze decides to hit one out of the park it doesnt play games...I wish I got it earlier too my friend.

Getting better - the only side effects I had was insane insomonia for like a week but kind looked at like the side effects of the alcohol binge ar far worse than anything naltrexone can dish out...good luck to you on TSM I hope you get the results a lot of us have gotten

Comment

Welcome, gettingbetter,
            I am new here myself and started the Nal last friday, I took 25mg for the first couple of days and my drinking dropped almost by half, then went up to 50 mg and drank more than the previous two evenings. The nausea was ok and manageable until the following day after the 50mg, headache and nausea, a little spaced so I have gone back to 25 and will take that during this week when I am working and go back to 50 at the weekend.

Its not affecting me that bad but prefer to feel a bit better when working. The SE's apparantly do disappear fairly quickly, here's hoping!

Best of luck to you, as others have said it's great you are dealing with the problem now before it bites you badly in the A.se! Wish I had known about this treatment several years ago but hey ho, that's life.

Comment

Scot, you should be 'safe' on 25mgs if you drink only for a short time in the evenings, that amount's meant to cover you for up to 12 hours. But, better safe than sorry I reckon, try to get up to 50mgs for definite 100% coverage of your endorphin receptors. My hunch is that after a weekend on 50 you'll no longer feel any side effects whatsoever, and will feel comfortable carrying that into the week too

Comment

I just thought I'd give a summary of my first week with the Sinclair Method. I actually drank on 3 different occasions rather than just the usual Friday. First on Monday (when I got the pills), again on Wednesday evening with a friend and again on Friday. I overdid it on the Monday, but I put this down to curiosity rather than compulsion. On the Wednesday it was me rather than my friend who suggested we call it a night (after around 6 pints) which is very unusual, and on the Friday I drank through to midday on the Saturday but I did so to look after a friend of mine and thought several times about leaving earlier. I think I also drank slower and was amazed to find I felt absolutely fine on Sunday - no 3 day hangover this week!

So, so far so good. The only problems seem to be slight feelings of nausea, an occasional knot in my stomach and possible constipation. Given the positive affects though these are completely tolerable.

This stuff is amazing. I am very glad that I made the decision to do this.

Comment

You guys-- I am new too. I am shocked at what I'm reading-- is this stuff too good to be true?!?! I love this idea, and I think I'm off to Barnes and Noble to get the book-- right now! I am just too scared to take the Topamax-- very afraid of the SE's-- nausea, lethargy, etc. I'm a mom of 4 and I can't afford to deal with that! I also know I can't quit drinking on my own. So you can get this stuff online in the US with no Rx??? Where? Thx!!!

Hugs
                  Madi

Comment

Is this stuff too good to be true? Well, from what I've read it looks like this really is a cure for alcoholism. There are a couple of chapters of Roy Eskapa's book available online (just search for CureforAlcoholism-Ch1.pdf and CureforAlcoholism-Ch3.pdf) which provide a lot of information on the supporting clinical evidence. This is hard science, with no "higher powers" in sight!

Remember though, you must take the Naltrexone only when you drink. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.

I can't tell you where to order your medicine from since I'm in the EU, but I think I've seen people answering that question elsewhere on this forum.

Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Hello and welcome! I have been a user of the Sinclair method for a long time. So long in fact that I have lost track of time because I have been so busy with normal life. Many people doubt the ability of Naltrexone to eliminate a person's problem with alcohol and that is fine. They can doubt if they want but it worked for me and I am living proof of it. I was a binge drinker with serious life threatening problems because of alcohol. Now I am a fully functioning person with a great career and a great relationship with my family and friends. All I did was start to take 50 mg of Naltrexone one hour before I started drinking and repeat. Over and over. It works !!! You have to be persistent and give it time.

Comment

Hello all,

I was going to start my own journal but think it will be better if I join one in progress. I have been drinking 12-16 beers or so per nite for a long time. Went 18 AF days a couple of weeks ago but right back where I was before NAL.

I started Nal last Fri. and could not drink more than 7 beers as I absolutely did not want any more. Had no desire to drink at all Sat. or Sun.. (Did not take Nal either day) Had a bit of craving Mon. so we went to the bar and I had 3 tall beers. I would usually have a lot more after returning home but not this time. Once again I had no desire for any more. I can't begin to describe my optimism. But I am also very much aware that it may be only beginners' luck or whatever it is called.

I also feel lightheaded or a bit spaced when taking Nal. Hope that goes away. I don't know if I will drink today either. Go figure as I used to plan in the a.m. for my evening drinking.

Com1
                        Com1

Comment

Hi All

Well I just thought I would pop in as I;ve not posted for a little while although i am always lurking I am beginning my third week on Nal. The first week was great I drank about half of what i normally would even on the weekend!! Happy Days. The second week my units were still up very high (i am keeping a diary of units/cravings/af days) but my cravings still lower and I know normally i could have drank more. So starting my third week now and fingers crossed

Love and best wishes to us all on our journeys

cm xxx

Comment

THank you Getting Better!

I just go the book and I am excited to give it a whirl.... I have nothing to lose and everything to gain! I hope it works!!! :h

Comment

I don't think it is the Nal (altho I don't know for sure) but I had no desire for beer yesterday either. I still don't know about today but may go for a beer and Nal and see how it goes.

I learn so much every time I read and sometimes reread the posts here. Hope I can get my fingers uncrossed sometime in the future.

com1
                              Com1

Comment

Working...
                              X