Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry I'm sure there is a thread for this...BUT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a 33 Year old female.... mom of 4, ready to make a change after 4 years of moderate drinking. (NEVER drank before I was 30.) But quickley stepped it up as I had more kids-- up to 7 drinks per day- YIKES.

Got my Rx for Topa and am scared to start b.c of the possible side effects..... nausea and vomiting are NOT my friend!!! (I know some would say, "hello, you've had 4 kids, and you've been totally hungover many times, so WHY are you afraid of puking?") ... But I just am. I just need to get the courage up to take that first 25 mg. pill, which sounds so lame!!!! I am SO mentally ready for a change, but physically... I am scared. I had 2 glasses of wine tonight and I am thinking I should wait till I haven't consumed one ounce of alcohol before I start this drug-- just in case-- but I'm just not sure where I will muster the strength from... can anyone offer any advice?!?! For risk of sounding desperate and crazy and confused!

I know I'm not alone in the fact that as a mom of 4 young kids (and whatever anyone else has as a job!) I need to be able to function! (sounds SO stupid-- like I was REALLY able to function before on 2 bottles of wine per day...... YAH right!!) :P

Anyways, all this to say..... any tips about taking topa for the first few days? Experiences? Advice?

Thanks SO much you guys--
    Hugs
    Madi.:h:h

Hi and welcome Madison.

I too have recently stared taking Topa (again) and I'm tirading up as per the schedule in the book MWO i.e.
    25mg in the afternoon for the first week
    50mg in the afernoon for the second week
    25 mg mid morning and 50mg's in the afternoon etc

I am currently on 50mg's and don't expect to go higher than 75mg's as this is what worked for me before.

With regards to side effects, I did experience "Topa Dopa" last time but haven't this time (touch wood) and I do get the tingling/itching in my feet when I sleep which is more irritating than anything else.

I have found that taking the suppliments recommended in the book definetly helps e.g. L-GLut, Milk Thistle, EPO etc.

Wishing you all the best on your journey:-)
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Wow, Mad. 4 kids at 33 -- you are brave!

And 4 years of moderate drinking -- it's great that you are able to realize you have a problem before it gets out of control!

But I am having a hard time getting around the fact that you never drank before you were 30, you are now 33, but have 4 years of "moderate drinking" behind you... well never mind.

You are right, there are LOTS and LOTS of threads on Topa on this forum. I suggest you troll through this forum and read anything you find about Topa -- if you have any specific questions after that, I'm sure there will be plenty of people here to answer them.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi Madison,
        As a mom with 4 kids of my own (including triplets and a 3 yr old son, plus two teenage stepdaughters), I can totally relate to going from social drinker to addict in the space of two years. I think once I stopped working and stayed home with my triplets, I felt less and less like my own person...didn't help that my husband at the time devalued my contribution to the family b/c I wasn't earning money. He thought I "had it made" staying home with three babies. I believe that really was the springboard to my alcohol abuse. Ten years later, I can't blame him anymore, but the "habit" has taken root and become a problem.

I took topa for a very brief time and didn't get anything out of it, but that doesn't mean you won't. Different approaches work for different people. I am currently on naltroxene and am looking into baclofen for additional help.

You are not alone. I am with you there on the two bottles (down to 1-1.5 bottles now, woohoo.)

Comment

Hi Madison, I'd say go for it, i've done the Topiramate and didn't have any side effects other than the tingling sensation and it definatly works if you follow the program. Good luck. Postalgram

Comment

Thanks!!

Hi you guys!!!

Thanks so much for your replies! I am so sorry, I meant to say THREE years. Typo. At any rate, I still haen't taken the stupid Topamax- it's still in my purse. I went away with my hubby for the weekend and basically drank the entire time. I was so hungover yesterday and I felt so stupid-- this is a crazy cycle and it's time to get off of this ride. I owe it to myself and my family.

Gonna go take it now. Have a good day....!

Comment

Working...
            X