Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

naltrexone creates more receptors (upregulation) -> super-sensitivity to endorphins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

naltrexone creates more receptors (upregulation) -> super-sensitivity to endorphins

It only lasts a few days (p. 122). That's why Sinclair recommends you take advantage of this by reinforcing positive opioidergic behaviors (i.e. sex, gourmet dining, vigorous workout) when you are ready for AF days (pp. 121-122, pp. 207-208). Some TSM users report this "selective reinforcement" has been an important contributor to success -- they learn to look forward to AF days.

There is no need to worry about extinguishing these positive behaviors during TSM. Very few have reported decline in interest in these, and there is plenty of time to reinforce these behaviors once you have plenty of non-nal, AF days.

The recommended dosage of 50 mg. takes into account the increased receptors caused by upregulation.

Comment

Lenaleed

You read my mind. I wondered if Nal extinguished other behavoirs that were pleasurable. I have not read the book, but if I understand you... we should seek to enjoy these other behaviors on our AF days. To reinforce them. OK...AF and exercise tonight. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

lenaleed;800601 wrote: It only lasts a few days (p. 122). That's why Sinclair recommends you take advantage of this by reinforcing positive opioidergic behaviors (i.e. sex, gourmet dining, vigorous workout) when you are ready for AF days (pp. 121-122, pp. 207-208). Some TSM users report this "selective reinforcement" has been an important contributor to success -- they learn to look forward to AF days.

There is no need to worry about extinguishing these positive behaviors during TSM. Very few have reported decline in interest in these, and there is plenty of time to reinforce these behaviors once you have plenty of non-nal, AF days.

The recommended dosage of 50 mg. takes into account the increased receptors caused by upregulation.
        Brilliant, thanks lenaleed.

Comment

Actually Sinclair (and also Eskapa) suggest 2 AF days is optimal -- waiting a day to "wash" out the naltrexone. For example, nal+drinking Friday night; AF/nal-free Saturday; Sunday afternoon whoopie, workout and amazing meal. Then I suppose you can go back to nal+drinking Sunday night if need be. Some really swear by this.

Comment

Lenaleed,

That does sound like a good plan....LOL, I'm on board!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

This is a very important part of The Sinclair Method.

Comment

You've got to be kidding me.

I would love it if you are the real Dr. Eskapa. Regardless, I know more and have done more research about TSM than you.

You are a bold face liar either way.
                :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                :what?:
                sigpic
                Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                A Forum
                Trolls need not apply

Comment

Lo0p;1471065 wrote:

You are a bold face liar
                  either way.
                  Discuss?
                  BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

UKBlonde will confirm this.

Dr. Eskapa's book to the layman is an egregious lie. The success rates he quotes are totally false and he instills a degree of confidence in the reader that is just plain stupid.

To me, or any real scientist, the book is a sham. The way he cherry picks little tiny parts of many, many studies to come up with a supposedly defensible conclusion is, frankly, bullshit. I read the long form of every single study he quoted in the book (except maybe two that I couldn't get). His misrepresentations, exaggerations and other shenanigans that he pulled are so unscientific and that, combined with the fact that he knows it makes him a liar.

His doctorate is bought from some online bullshit academy as well.

All that being said, TSM is real, there is no doubt. I have friends who owe their lives to it. But ironically (as I've stated before) The Cure For Alcoholism by Dr Roy Eskapa is almost a must read for someone who decides to undergo the treatment. :H It is a very good description of the principles and process.

There are only 2 (two) studies that show a positive effect of targeted naltrexone. One of them was done with a person who could have biased the results, Dr. Sinclair himself. Both were done with people who drank less or far less than an average of 35 UK units a week. Which is literally like 20 drinks. The backwards logic he used with every other study he cited (trying to show that people who disobeyed instructions and sampled alcohol/heroin while on naltrexone) was clever but if you actually look at all of them, the actual instances are so scant and full of contradictions that it again, rises beyond the level of unscientific and is a lie.
                    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                    :what?:
                    sigpic
                    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                    A Forum
                    Trolls need not apply

Comment

I'm not to sure if I ever really experienced the upregulation thing. After the initial terrible sickness I feel after a bit of cardio, I feel great but I always did after cardio. The sickness is new from starting TSM though.

I did read the book when starting out but only because I thought I should. There wasn't an awful lot I didn't already know. Just take your Nal one hour before and let things go.

I definitely think a bit of willpower never hurt anyone. I'm 7 months in and honestly can't see myself waking up one morning and just being indifferent. Its gonna take a bit of work on my part jumping off completely I think.

TSM is a funny one. I'm not sure I would have stuck with it if I didn't have instant results like I did. You really have to have a bit of believe in it as you could get a year down the line and find out you were one of the percentage it didn't work for. I had an idea booze had a big effect on the Opioid side of things personally. Its the best painkiller I've ever had and that includes the the big Opiates I've tried.

Nothing numbs me like booze.
                      Started TSM 07/12 Pre TSM... 50-100 UK units

Drinking under control. Still shooting for abstinence.

Comment

Lo0p;1471281 wrote: UKBlonde will confirm this.

Dr. Eskapa's book to the layman is an egregious lie. The success rates he quotes are totally false and he instills a degree of confidence in the reader that is just plain stupid.

To me, or any real scientist, the book is a sham. The way he cherry picks little tiny parts of many, many studies to come up with a supposedly defensible conclusion is, frankly, bullshit. I read the long form of every single study he quoted in the book (except maybe two that I couldn't get). His misrepresentations, exaggerations and other shenanigans that he pulled are so unscientific and that, combined with the fact that he knows it makes him a liar.

All that being said, TSM is real, there is no doubt. I have friends who owe their lives to it. But ironically (as I've stated before) The Cure For Alcoholism by Dr Roy Eskapa is almost a must read for someone who decides to undergo the treatment. :H It is a very good description of the principles and process.

There are only 2 (two)
                        studies that show a positive effect of targeted naltrexone. One of them was done with a person who could have biased the results, Dr. Sinclair himself. Both were done with people who drank less or far less than an average of 35 UK units a week. Which is literally like 20 drinks. The backwards logic he used with every other study he cited (trying to show that people who disobeyed instructions and sampled alcohol/heroin while on naltrexone) was clever but if you actually look at all of them, the actual instances are so scant and full of contradictions that it again, rises beyond the level of unscientific and is a lie.
                        This a joke post,right?

Oh. My. Gawd. Becky.

Comment

There are only 2 (two)
                          studies that show a positive effect of targeted naltrexone. One of them was done with a person who could have biased the results, Dr. Sinclair himself. Both were done with people who drank less or far less than an average of 35 UK units a week. Which is literally like 20 drinks. The backwards logic he used with every other study he cited (trying to show that people who disobeyed instructions and sampled alcohol/heroin while on naltrexone) was clever but if you actually look at all of them, the actual instances are so scant and full of contradictions that it again, rises beyond the level of unscientific and is a lie.
                          So, the evidence behind TSM is minimal. But, TSM must absolutely works because it worked for a couple of your friends?

How does that differ from claims for bac?

There are actually more recent, large studies for targeted nalmefene (basically naltrexone with patents in Europe). The efficacy is not great, but worth trying.

Comment

There are only 2 (two)
                            Hmmm. I'd not say it's an out and out lie, there's a lot of useful stuff in the book HOWEVER I believe it's an oversimplification. Humans are not rats, in the outside world we have powerful 'unreasonable' brains and thought processes. It's not as easy as taking the pills and drinking "as you normally would". Sure you drink as you feel but I don't think forcing yourself to drink the same amounts is useful nor successful. My findings are that Nal and TSM gives you a physical head start, the rest of the work has to be from yourself. Also it suits some and not others.

The information about getting readdicted is also good, and is backed up by reports of others who were cured, and who then had a go at drinking without Nal(reverses pretty quickly).

I tend to be sceptical about most things and I never took his book as Gospel, it's a useful source of some information and I didn't actually read it until I'd already had some success with it. Remainder I sort of got by asking around and from my own experiences.

It's a book, that's it.
                            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                            X