Buzz question about NAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzz question about NAL

Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to answer a question that I'm sure has been addressed here before.... I'm just new and not finding it (LOTS to sort through on this and other boards).

I will be starting NAL in about a week (waiting on my meds and blood tests).

Almost finished with Dr. Eskapa's book and will be following the TSM method. Great support from my husband.

Here's my question. I'm confused: Does anyone catch anything like a "buzz" while drinking on NAL? Is there still some sort of pleasurable effect that we get drinking on NAL, like the one that non-alcoholics get when they drink? Not talking about the crave/endorphin rush I know ALL too well. Just -- Do I get to keep ANY of the fun? (I'll do the NAL+drinking = cure regardless, just curious.)

I pretty well understand the whys and hows of NAL.... Just having trouble letting go of the idea of the buzz (which I realize is a lot of the problem) and not able to tell from the book what I should or might expect instead.

Will a few of you please share experiences with me? I do NOT want the crave/euphoria anymore, just wondering if there remains any pleasure in drinking on NAL. If not, I wonder if I'll move toward abstinence once I reach extinction.

Anyway, excited for the journey.

Thank you!

Buzz question about NAL

Nice to meet you seeking

I think Nal extinguished the crazy endorphin rush I used to get quite a while back for me, but I still enjoy drinking on a number of levels (unfortunately!) - mainly the sedative and anxiety-relieving side (I have a clinical anxiety disorder btw).

Even if I were 'cured' and the anxiety wasn't present, I think I'd still enjoy a social drink to loosen me up. And I still quite like the taste.

All the best to you, can't wait to read your progress

eight
    I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Buzz question about NAL

I still get 'buzzed' from wine or beer - more easily than before. Nowadays I also seem to interpret it more as "impairment" though.

A somewhat common experience seems to be that people start out expecting to level off at a safe drinking level (that is/was my goal as well) but somehow ... end up almost preferring abstinence. The nice thing is that even though that is NOT our goal at the moment and maybe even seems like a bad thing ("Why would I want to stop have fun drinking?") by the time it rolls around as a possibility, it no longer feels like a bad thing. By then, the very premise of the question no longer applies.

That said, even in the early days of my TSM experience, I enjoyed the heck out my wine and it never stopped tasting delicious to me ... and still does taste delicious. The buzz? Not much of an attraction any more ... kind of a pain, actually.

Speaking for myself, obviously. Enjoy the journey.
      Sinclair Method experience - week by week

Comment

Buzz question about NAL

Thank you, Eight and Plain! It's so good to hear about your knowledge and experience. I feel safer and more hopeful here than I have in years. I will keep posting as my own knowledge and experience grow. You're great!

Comment

Buzz question about NAL

PS - I LOVE the idea that our expectations and desires can change with our bodies and minds... that what seems like pleasure now quite possibly could be something we just choose to avoid in the future. I'm going to ride this ride (not try to steer it) and stay open. Thanks again!

Comment

Buzz question about NAL

Seeking...plain vanialla summed it up impeared...the buzz is not the same but I never really missed it from day 1...it's weird to explain...I went from drinking like 15-20 something Crown Royal's on the rocks to now I can't stand the thought of it effortlessy...and the buzz wa strange...very clear buzz if that makes any sense...it works..just give it a whirl if your drinking too much you have nothing to lose

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X