Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting comments on Bac (from another forum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted by shame-on-who? on 15 Dec 08 02:20 PM EST
    Why would anyone say: Shame on you for suggesting a pill can cure a disease. If alcoholISM IS a disease, then why can't there be a cure? Just as some in the deaf community oppose choclear implants to "cure" deafness and remove people from the "deaf community," so too the "Recovery community" needs to keep people sick and stigmatized as "alcoholics" to keep them in the Recovery Community. Hence stopping drinking isn't enough, moving on in life is heresy, a pill that allows one to stop drinking or stop addictive, dependent or abusive drinking is not a cure? If the problem returns when one stops taking a medication, then it's not helpful? Insulin therapy is not a cure for diabetes, but it sure helps. Isn't it OK to find something that helps, lessens harm, leads to a life outside of "recovering"? I'm please with progress - especially if it "cures" the feeling of need to drink. How would this support harmful drinking? The doctor said he could have a glass without having another, but he didn't express the desire to do so. This shame is like a flame.

Posted by carolr on 12 Jan 09 01:11 PM EST
    Being relatively new to the ReHab community (as the mother of a person suffering from the horrors of alcohol addiction), I am shocked that anyone would quible over whether this might be a cure or a treatment (if either). If indeed studies show this drug could improve the terrible recovery statistics coming out of the ReHab structure in this country. Many who have had their lives destroyed by addiction would gladly trade that addiction for other side effects. Some of the comments above reek of the moralism I thought that,through research, we had finally come to realize has nothing to do with addiction. We've come a long ways from the "stiff upper lip" approach to depression; why can we not make faster progress on addiction - does the ReHab community have too much vested interest to be open to research that might help millions of people? Are the people who succeeded at the "hard way" to recovery really going to begrudge future generations from being able to do it differently? Please use my tax dollars for fast, exhaustive research on treating, curing, and preventing this devastating disease.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

fyi:

French Doctor Says Baclofen Cures Addiction
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

please show me where this is at...

edit: nm. damn I'm dumb sometimes... :H
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Damn it's like the salem witch trials...I agree moralism has nothing to do with science.

Loop was this our favorite forum?

Comment

Moralism and Marketing - two great tastes that go great together: the Mulligan Group.
          Sinclair Method experience - week by week

Comment

Not sure what you meant by that, PlainV, but I assume you were being sarcastic (based on the super-slick site profile. Oh so touching...)

Comment

Sorry beatle. That probably did look like quite a non sequitor. I was indeed being sarcastic about the recovery industry. The linked site lays it out as naked as can be.
              does the ReHab community have too much vested interest to be open to research that might help millions of people?
              Just so. I basically cured myself of alcoholism for $30.

Because it was a generic drug, my benefit plan's preferred mail-order pharmacy sent my first 90-day supply FREE, so I spent a whopping $30 for my next 90 days. 60 days into that, and ever since, I've been drinking two drinks max, twice a week.

Update: Sigh. Le Google tells me that the quotes did not even come from the Mulligan Group site, so my festering resentment was not even accurately placed. Although I stand by my opinion that the rehab industry - as exemplified by the Mulligan Group - puts its own health above ours.

Comment

PlainVanilla;807735 wrote: Although I stand by my opinion that the rehab industry - as exemplified by the Mulligan Group - puts its own health above ours.
                Absolutely. If rehab really worked, the "customer" pool would quickly dwindle.

Despite miserable statistics, the system persists. I wonder why...

Comment

p.s., Do you mean you "cured" yourself with baclofen? If so, maybe you could share more about it?

Comment

I used TSM. At 11 weeks I hit my original goal of no more than two drinks a night. By 21 weeks I was down to four drinks a week - and am still there at 32 weeks.

Like many following TSM, in the early days I could not even IMAGINE an AF day. Now I plan ahead for my drinking days instead.

Comment

that's great! :happysorry, I hadn't looked at your signature)

Comment

PlainVanilla;807735 wrote: Sorry beatle. That probably did look like quite a non sequitor. I was indeed being sarcastic about the recovery industry. The linked site lays it out as naked as can be.

Just so. I basically cured myself of alcoholism for $30.

Because it was a generic drug, my benefit plan's preferred mail-order pharmacy sent my first 90-day supply FREE, so I spent a whopping $30 for my next 90 days. 60 days into that, and ever since, I've been drinking two drinks max, twice a week.

Update: Sigh. Le Google tells me that the quotes did not even come from the Mulligan Group site, so my festering resentment was not even accurately placed. Although I stand by my opinion that the rehab industry - as exemplified by the Mulligan Group - puts its own health above ours.
                        PV

I have used forums in the past for marketing and they work fairly well...man they must be making a killing on this one...looked at the link you posted and the referrals they quote off the forum of desperate folks..NICE (sarcastict)..no wonder they dont want to hear how a $20.00 paperback and $300.00 in pills saved and repaired my life

Comment

beatle;808245 wrote: Absolutely. If rehab really worked, the "customer" pool would quickly dwindle.

Despite miserable statistics, the system persists. I wonder why...
                          I can only agree to this. It is insane how addicted are threated - they look for help in the hands of an experienced doctor - hoping to be cured, and what do these people do?

They give you medicine that does not work. They give you advise that lets you only stay sober during the rehab stay, and they further addict you to additional things. i.e. benzo, which they use to detox you easier.

So when you come out and drink again, you have good chances to commit unwillingly suicide being on benzo + alcohol.

These people should feel really ashamed for what they are doing. Misusing the trust giving in them to destroy families and people. I was never in rehab - but what I have read so far is totally scary! Even a wanna-be doctor like me seems to have more understanding of many things than they do! :upset:
                          since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                          since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                          reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                          since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                          since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                          http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

Agree

The addiction "rehab" revolving door and recovery groups are very close minded to having meds to treat our problem, after all it is big $$$$ industry "revolving door", if some addicts even make it back, it's a shame!

MA:h:l
                            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Thanks for starting this, Beatle. Very interesting.
                              Metta

Comment

Working...
                              X