Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly does baclofen do?

Hi all,
    Jumping over from TSM board as I'm interested in trying baclofen. I bought Dr. A's book but I'm still curious from you all as to how baclofen works to decrease your alcohol intake. I don't drink out of anxiety, I just had a habit turned into an addiction. I'm following TSM and thinking about adding bac to the plan, if I can convince my dr. So, do you look at alcohol and just don't want it? Are you kind of sedated that drinking doesn't appeal? I have found that TSM has helped reduce the "buzz" from alcohol, but I still drink at pre-TSM levels. Thanks for any answers.

I hid my drinking from my family as I drank until I blacked out every night for over a year. I was tired of waking up not knowing what I had done the night before and if my wife was pissed at me or not and also not knowing if my daughter was going to tell my wife something I did the night before that i had not remembered that I did it. So I would wait til about 8;00pm and I would have a beer so that would explain the liquor on my breath. What they didnt see was the pint of liquor that I would sneak to get me the high I needed. I drank after everyone went to bed until I blacked out. I stopped at nothing to sneak the money for the booze and make excuses to run out and get it. In the morning my constant thoughts were; How much AL do I have for tonight, do I need more and thoughts of AL continued all day. I do have a history of anxiety and when I talked to my doctor about my drinking problem, he said I probably drank because of my nerves. The bac makes you relaxed and in the beginning when I had thoughts of drinking at night I took my bac and it made me sleepy so I forgot about drinking and just went to bed. I never crave AL anymore and I couldnt be happier with the way things are going. Currently 18 days on bac - 14 AF!

Comment

f4tb,

I am so way to tired to talk about what Baclofen does.

I am even too tired to read your posts.

I am responding simply to your title.

I hope others come on and reply.

If not. I will respond tomorrow.

I put in too many hours this weekend at work and today, also.

Brain is dead.

However, I am 80 mgs of Baclofen a day and not drinking.

I truly HTH.

Love,
      cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hello Hoping,

Here is an article that I read in one of the local papers. This is what initially got me interested in taking Bac:

Defeating Brits' alcoholism | Metro.co.uk

There is a diagram half way down that shows how the brains Gaba receptors are effected by alcohol / baclofen.

Hope that helps.

Amelia
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

on the left side is a normal brain of an addicted - all red is craving
          on the right side a brain threated with "experimental medication" - this experimental medication is BACLOFEN.

Quote from the leading medical who was doing this experiment :
          Instead of the brain saying GO GO GO, it's ... I don't know - does not seem like it is worth going.

here the original movie http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=VPCABjMq3 3g&v=byain0Vo5mo[/video]]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Note: This experiment is based on cocaine addiction - the mode of action is similar to the one of Alcohol. The results would be equal.
          since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
          since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
          reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
          since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
          since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
          http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

Working...
          X