Question: How long does it take for the baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started taking baclofen 24 hours ago, how long does it take before the alcohol cravings go away??? Thanks!

what doses did you start with? Are you still drinking?

Comment

Hoping for the best;816394 wrote: what doses did you start with? Are you still drinking?
      Hey, thanks for always being there!!!:thanks: I started yesterday, 5 mg. at lunch, 10 mg. at dinner. same today. I was afraid to take it this morining, because I had to go to work and it's an hour drive. I drank last night and tonight, but when I woke up this morning.....I felt like I was hit with a bat....very hard to get up today! How long does it normally take not to want a drink????????

Comment

Normally? i dont know. I would give it a few more days. Dont be scared to take it in the am - even after you get to work 5mg, than 5 or 10 around 2-2:30 and than in the evening. I found the one in the evening was enough to take the edge of the craving to just not drink. What is the alcohol situatuion at your house? are you the only drinker? can it all be gone in a couple of days? what is your drinking pattern? if weekends are worse, maybe set your AF date for Sunday or Monday.

Comment

Hoping for the best;816415 wrote: Normally? i dont know. I would give it a few more days. Dont be scared to take it in the am - even after you get to work 5mg, than 5 or 10 around 2-2:30 and than in the evening. I found the one in the evening was enough to take the edge of the craving to just not drink. What is the alcohol situatuion at your house? are you the only drinker? can it all be gone in a couple of days? what is your drinking pattern? if weekends are worse, maybe set your AF date for Sunday or Monday.
          yes,I'm the only who drinks daily. My husband drinks beer (which I don't like), whenever the mood strikes, not daily. The wine I drink will most likely be gone tomorrow......unless I feel the need to restock. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!:thanks:

Comment

It's different for everyone. Myself, I don't have cravings per say however I would stop and get beer on the way home out of habit. If I have one I will have more. I do find it's a little easier to stop at say 3 or 4 rather than 8 pre-Bac. I am at about 150mgs per day, most in the evening.
            AF July 6 2014

Comment

does it matter if you take it together or spread out thru the day? I am startign today it is 9:30 am, wondering if I should just go for it or wait until a little later in the day to start.
              hanging

Comment

Hangin on,
                Just take a small dose (5mg) this morning and 5mg this afternoon adn 5mg this evening. REmember, only my opinion based on my experience and what I was told by my DR. This way if you feel any side effects you wont have as much in your system. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks hoping...ok here goes. I will post in an hour and update you...

Comment

give Baclofen some time.

Increase Baclofen slowly. Standard suggestion is 5mg increase per dose after 3 days

This looks like that :

day 1 15 (5mg x 3)
                    day 2 15
                    day 3 15
                    day 4 30 (10mg x 3)
                    day 5 30
                    day 6 30
                    day 7 45 (15mg x 3)
                    day 8 45
                    day 9 45
                    day 10 60 (20mg x 3)
                    day 11 60
                    day 12 60
                    day 13 75 (25mg x 3)
                    day 14 75
                    day 15 75
                    day 16 90 (30mg x 3)
                    day 17 90
                    day 18 90
                    day 19 105 (35mg x 3)
                    day 20 105
                    day 21 105
                    day 22 120 (40mg x 3)
                    day 23 120
                    day 24 120
                    day 25 135 (45mg x 3)
                    day 26 135
                    day 27 135
                    day 28 150 (50mg x 3)
                    day 29 150
                    day 30 150
                    day 31 165 (55mg x 3)
                    day 32 165
                    day 33 165
                    day 34 180 (60mg x 3)
                    day 35 180
                    day 36 180

Around 2-4 weeks after you started according to this plan you will already start to feel the difference.

Keep going up until you notice your craving is gone - then stay at the dose for 2 weeks.
                    since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                    since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                    reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                    since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                    since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                    http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

craving;816756 wrote: give Baclofen some time.

Increase Baclofen slowly. Standard suggestion is 5mg increase per dose after 3 days

This looks like that :

day 1 15 (5mg x 3)
                      day 2 15
                      day 3 15
                      day 4 30 (10mg x 3)
                      day 5 30
                      day 6 30
                      day 7 45 (15mg x 3)
                      day 8 45
                      day 9 45
                      day 10 60 (20mg x 3)
                      day 11 60
                      day 12 60
                      day 13 75 (25mg x 3)
                      day 14 75
                      day 15 75
                      day 16 90 (30mg x 3)
                      day 17 90
                      day 18 90
                      day 19 105 (35mg x 3)
                      day 20 105
                      day 21 105
                      day 22 120 (40mg x 3)
                      day 23 120
                      day 24 120
                      day 25 135 (45mg x 3)
                      day 26 135
                      day 27 135
                      day 28 150 (50mg x 3)
                      day 29 150
                      day 30 150
                      day 31 165 (55mg x 3)
                      day 32 165
                      day 33 165
                      day 34 180 (60mg x 3)
                      day 35 180
                      day 36 180

Around 2-4 weeks after you started according to this plan you will already start to feel the difference.

Keep going up until you notice your craving is gone - then stay at the dose for 2 weeks.
                      Is this for everyone...or does it depend on weight, male, female, etc.?????

Comment

nykat;817527 wrote: Is this for everyone...or does it depend on weight, male, female, etc.?????
                        I think it depends on your own body, how you feel, and what your lifestyle is.

I'm really sensitive to medicines of most kinds so I've had to up my dose way slower than this schedule. And, if I've had to drive or do anything I really need to be alert for, I've had to avoid doses just before, because Bac really affects me.

I'd say listen to your body, and take it at your own pace, but that's just my humble opinion

eight
                        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

nykat;817527 wrote: Is this for everyone...or does it depend on weight, male, female, etc.?????
                          this is the official dose suggestion. if you had a doctor prescribing you that, he would tell you exactly this.

My stats :

Comment

craving;817681 wrote: this is the official dose suggestion. if you had a doctor prescribing you that, he would tell you exactly this.
                            You'd be very lucky though to find a doctor in the UK who would prescribe Bac at all above 100mg per day. That's the maximum dose indicated in the packet inserts, and the maintenance dose is just 60mg!
                            I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

eight days a week;817710 wrote: You'd be very lucky though to find a doctor in the UK who would prescribe Bac at all above 100mg per day. That's the maximum dose indicated in the packet inserts, and the maintenance dose is just 60mg!
                              in my Lioresal package it talks of maximum 80mg / day.

Ameisen showed several examples in his book that it is save to go above this limit. It is mostly about liability. On L-Glutamine package it says 500mg per day as dose suggestion. Most people take 10 times as much! I could keep on saying other examples like that.

My stats :

Comment

Working...
                              X