Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to try Topamax and have questions

Hi all,

I made an appt to see my shrink on Thursday and am going to (again) ask him for Topamax. I'm not really comfortable ordering it myself online for a few different reasons. I take Cymbalta and Abilify so I feel like I need his blessing before doing the Topamax is the biggest reason.

I am at my highest weight EVER so of course the weight loss is very appealing to me. I also know several people take it for cravings. I've tried Campral and Naltrexone and liked neither. To date he has only prescribed me Campral but too many pills and I just didn't think it was doing any good. I mentioned Bac to him once and he knows nothing about it so he's not going there and I won't just add it to my med cocktail myself.

How can I convince him to let me try Topamax? Any success stories here I can share with him? He has diagnosed me as bipolar so that is one angle. However, he has referred to it as Dopamax so I don't think he thinks too highly of it. Thanks!

Oops, sorry! Nevermind. I did not see the Topamax Newbies thread. I also called the pharmacist and it's ok to mix with my other meds. I am going to do this! I have the impression most of you order from River Pharmacy, is that right? If he says no to me I'll just order online. I am getting sort of excited.

Comment

AD - I told you what I thought - I'd go in with research about using if off label for bipolar so you have some support. People here have taken it here with no problem on the dopey aspect - everyone is different. If you start out at a low dose & go up gradually you may be ok. Your big issue would be interaction with the other meds, but if the pharmacist sees no issue, you should be ok there - they usually know a lot. You'd think he/she would really want you to quit drinking . . . .

Comment

AD,
        I did start forgetting some words on Topomax I really wanted to lose weight and never dropped a pound. I did quit drinking for 30 days about a year ago on it but Icouldn't handle the tingling in my hands and feet and I lost a ton of hair. Don't mean to sound negative that was just my experience on it. I just started on Bac and other than the crazy dreams it seems to be working well.
        Hanging

Comment

Funny
          topa showed up
          YAY!!!!
          is it 25 mg for a week? then 50??? I can't seem to locate my book......must be at work!!!
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Yes - 25 for the first week. Take it in the afternoon. I took mine late afternoon the first couple of days till I knew how I'd feel. felt kind of achy I think I told you for the first 2-3 days & then ok. By week 2 you take 2 - 25 mg pills in the p.m. Week 3 is one 25 mg in the mid-morning and 50 mg in the mid-late afternoon. Glad you got it - I think it will help you.

Comment

This is the second time I've been on Topa. The first time I went 60 days AF and had mild side effects when I tiraded up to 100mg's (tingling toes and topa dopa) this time I've only just reached 100mg's and to date no side effects, in fact I've been playing scrabble in the evenings with great success and on day 3 AF:-)
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

does it stop the cravings right away????
                I took 25 mg yesterday, and will take another 25 mg this afternoon......I DESPERATELY need this to work for the sake of me and my family.....
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Yes - don't get overeager tho & up the dosage too fast - see how you feel first. I does help right away. It has to get into your system. Take the supps too. You will still have to keep yourself busy, but MB, it definitely has helped me tremendously. I'm shooting my good thoughts out to the universe that it will help you too!

Comment

p.s. - just so you know - I have some 'fake' beers in my fridge (for emergencies) and have not even felt like having one. I thought maybe Oscar night I might crack one open. In the past if I was laying off alcohol, I'd drink those (I think some brands do taste ok & make me feel less deprived), but not this time. Have hope!

Comment

Funny Girl;819067 wrote: p.s. - just so you know - I have some 'fake' beers in my fridge (for emergencies) and have not even felt like having one. I thought maybe Oscar night I might crack one open. In the past if I was laying off alcohol, I'd drink those (I think some brands do taste ok & make me feel less deprived), but not this time. Have hope!
                      FG,

I like the idea of having fake beers in the refrigerator. I think I could handle fake beer, but not fake wine.

Anyhoo, yay!, my Dr. did give me a script for Topamax today. Price for 60 pills? $8.10.

In addition to wanting to use it for cravings, I REALLY hope I am one of the lucky ones who loses weight on it.

Thanks for all of the info you gave me.

AD

Comment

Good for you AD! I'm glad the doc is going to help you out & see if this might be something that could help. Also, just having a few fakes in the fridge as a safety net isn't a bad idea. I find it makes me mentally feel better even if I never drink them. I just know they are there. Actually some of the ones out there aren't too bad these days if you were a beer drinker. There is an amber version of O'Douls that actually tastes more like a real beer than the green bottle version. Guinness makes a NA beer called Kaliber, I believe and there are a number of others.

Never had fake wine - that doesn't even sound good. I put some nice sparkle water in a wine glass & add a splash of cranberry juice or gatorade and a slice of fruit if I want to drink out of stemware. It seems to make me feel sort of festive.

Let me know how you do with the topa once you're into it for a few days. I had to get used to it so give it a few days . . .

Comment

I love that idea! I like the taste of beer and having a Kaliber or odouls once in a while would do the trick for me

Comment

Working...
                          X