Topamax - How long to stay on it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone that had success with Topamax........

How long did you stay on it? I am having good results on it but am wondering what is a good time frame to stay on it. I don't want to get off it too soon but would prefer not to stay on it longer than necessary. My doctor isn't familiar with it for treating alcoholism.

Appreciate any feedback. :thanks:
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

I'd be really interested in hearing thoughts about this too. The MWO book is unclear on this and I don't want to take meds any longer than I have to.
    :h getting better every day

Comment

I've been trying to research it on the internet but no luck. I've also been trying to search it on previous threads here with no luck. Does anyone know anyone that has taken it before that they can refer us to???? :thanks:
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I had good success with Topa. I have been AF for just over 7 months now. I stopped taking the topa about a month ago. I don't really feel any great differences but I am eating a lot more. I think it relies on your mental attitude and how you feel about being sober. I was ready to go it alone. Hope that helps.

Comment

Sidney...have your cravings come back at all?
          is anyone having brain fuzz or headaches??
          it's enough to make me want to stop taking it but I haven't given up yet
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

My cravings have not come back but I haven't had a drink in 7 months so I think I have been successful in changing my lifestyle. I am also extremely motivated to stay AF.
            I had brain fog so a certain extent. Mostly I had trouble finding a word. However I was willing to put up with that it was nothing like my hangovers which were horrible. The important thing with Topa in my experience is not to drink on it. When I tried it other times if I drank, I drank less but would eventually drink over it. Drinking while taking it also gave me headaches. Hope that helps I am a fan of Topa it certainly helped me to stop drinking and stay that way. Feel free to PM if I can answer any more questions.

Comment

congrats to you sidney! what dose were you on and how did you come off of it?

Comment

Thank you so much for the information. I've only been on it about 6 weeks. I was thinking at least 3 months. Now I know it is safe for a longer period. Thank you so much.:thanks:
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I have read in older posts that some people plan ons staying on it forever!!!!
                  I am a little spooked since I just got a message to call my doctor on Monday about this program and Topa......she wanted to do some research as she was not familiar with it and I ordered topa thru River Pharmacy....i will let u know what she says.....
                  i have been drinking on topa......might explain the headaches?????

Comment

please keep me posted! i am having some headaches even without drinking.

Comment

It is an antiseizure drug by definition-- I used it for migraines -- as for the brain fuzz-- many docs call it dope-amax because it makes you forgetful-- I lost loads of weight on it when I used it for migraines-- this was pre-AL troubles so I am unsure if it would do well-- I would have had no issue staying on it forever and ever if it had continued to help my migraines like it had in the past-- post baby hormonal changes and things like that made it not as effective for me for what we were trying to do--- but I sure would take it if I thought it woudl help with AL-- my doc too is not one for using it for AL and we are on to another protocal for headaches-- and topamax woudl be incompatible with that at this point for me. I would not be afriad of it at all though-- it was great drug for what I used it for at the time and worked for many years-- made me see what was possible in life as I was debilitaed by headaches before. As for headache with it-- I am not sure-- I know the neuro who gave it to me said drink moderately but then again it is antiseizure and there is a danger to taking those drugs and drinking at any rate.

Comment

ok....good to know ......by the way....I grew up in Atlanta!!!!!!

Comment

The ATL

I grew up in Alabama but have lived here since 1992 except for 2 very brief stints away. Loved one (Memphis), not so high on the other in Greenville, SC but that was where I was in my life then.

Comment

ok gang
                            doctor said ok to take topa and effexor
                            just to look out for seratonin syndrome...i know a little about it but will google it later
                            too much seratonin makes u wacky and very sick....sounds like booze to me!!!!

Comment

Well - I've been on Celexa for years. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay with this 200 mg of Topamax. DEPRESSED!!!!!!:upset:
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                              X