Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax - Hair loss

Hi

I've just ordered Topamax from River, I've been reading every post I can find on it's side effects, I could cope with the 'fog', but hair loss kept coming up as a problem. I've got very long hair and I would be really traumatised if my hair fell out, I'd probably head straight to the bottle.

Has anyone else had this problem?? Is it quite common??

Any advice welcome xx

Topamax - Hair loss

Hi Northgirl - I've been taking it for a couple months now and I haven't noticed any hair loss at all. I think that is a pretty rare side effect.
    Topamax has really, really helped me. I hope that it works out well for you. If you have any other questions, be sure to ask!!
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

no hair loss for this chickie either....it would be nice if i could quit shaving my legs!!!!
      I had chemo for breast cancer 8 years ago and this the only positive thing i could come up with!!!!!
      but i have had brain fog.....
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Hi Northgirl,
        I am sorry to report that after taking Topamax for 3 months, along with doing all the MWO protocols (supps, exercise, etc) I had to back off & quit due to SEs: tingling in my hands and feet, to the point of numbness, Topa-dopa, metal mouth, and hair loss. Like you, I had long hair, has already lost some due to hypothyroidism, so maybe I was sensitized to it. I did have the positive SEs of being able to moderate, which continued successfully for several months after I quit taking the Topa, and a 35# weight loss without trying.
        Everyone is different, to some extent, in thier experience with meds. Hopefully, if you continuously monitor for SEs, you will catch them before they get too bad. Or maybe not have them....
        Wishing you the best,
        Be Well,
        Jenn
        Jenn
        "I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk."
        Leonard Cohen

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Is the hair loss permanent? If not, it can't hurt to at least give it a try, and if you notice anything, you can just stop and let your hair regenerate.

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

RJ recommends using rogaine shampoo....and I eat a banana every day for the tingling....plus I know the meds are working when I tingle.....the brain fog is finally lifting in my fifth week.....
            RJ even joked that it would be nice if the tingling were in "certain places"!!!!!!
            eeeewww!!!

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

I am having the tingling but working thru it. It seems to be improving. I agree with Fennel. Try it and then go from there.
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Hi

Thanks so much for your replies, think your all right, I guess if I monitor it carefully then it'll be OK. Then again it might not happen at all??

I havent received mine from River yet, not sure how long it will take to get to England? My husband thinks I'm stupid to take meds that the doctor hasnt prescribed, but I know my doctor, she never gives prescriptions for anything, shes very much 'wait and see how things go', plus I dont want it on my record.

Thanks again everyone x

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

My hair got thinner the first time I used Topa. It also was quite dry and brittle.
                  I took Botin and zinc which helped to get rid of the problem. When I took Topa this time my hair was fine. Any side effects I have had from Topa are nothing compared to what alcohol did to my body.

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

i agree with Sidney 100%

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Topamax and Hairloss

I am so glad I found this site. I have been on topamax for a long time. Everyone thought I was imagining that my hair was falling out. It is so thin that when I hold it against my head I can see my scalp. I never had thick hair to begin with but now I am panicking! The topamax works so well for my migraines that I don't want to stop taking it. Anyone out there have some good advice?

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Hi Mojo - I too had chemo - and biotin was suggested for me too. I take Topa and have not had hair loss - at least I don't think so - I have very thick hair and have tons fall out all the time. Try Zinc and Biotin - there are shampoos that you can get for hair loss too - I would try those before I would stop the Topa if it is working so well for you. Some of the folk on the thread "new here and starting Topa with a question" also had the same question so you might want to wade your way through that! All the best to you - what dosage are you on and how are you doing? we would love to hear from you on that thread. It is a really good thread for those just starting on Topa so if it has worked for you, it would be really good for you to post on it. Looking forward to hearing from you,

Hugs to you, Sun xx
                        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

I am having a problem with hair loss and the hair I do have is now very dry and coarse due to the topa. The topa works so well for the cravings that it is very frustrating to have to discontinue it. I am wondering what the zinc does for the hair...I am using biotin. Thanks

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Bluehair - lovely to see you post - wish you would come and join us on the 'New here and starting Topa' thread - there are only a few of us there and we mostly take Topa - it would be so good to have someone else join us too! What dosage are you on and how long have you been on it? Come over and join us on the other thread - it would be great to have you there!! Oh - in answer to your question re zinc - it depends on how much you are taking - there is a fine line between too much and the right dose! Google it and you will find that TOO MUCH can make hair loss worse, so check out the amount you are taking. I changed my shampoo and conditioner too - I now use Matrix Essentials Sleek Look and it really works well for my hair. Target used to sell it - not sure if they still do and it isn't cheap, but I love it.

Hugs, sun x
                            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Topamax - Hair loss

Blue, I lost hair on topa at 25-50mg/ day. I have lost hair due to stress too, and my research says zinc helps. Biotin makes the hair grow faster, I didn't find it thicken it. I haven't been vigilant about the zinc, I'm on so many pills it's hard to remember it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X