Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse, Nal or Baclofen whuich one?

Hi,
    First time post here. I'm what you mind call a polydrug user, alcohol, cocaine, etc since I was around 19 now 33. The thing is I've honestly never touched a thing in my life without being under the influence of alcohol. I was adminited to A&E a few years back with what I thought was a cocaine induced heart atack (panic attack) so Valium and more booze are now used to deal with cocoaine comedowns.

Lately my drinking has gotton worse. Binge drinking mostly. I can go a fortnight no problem without a drink but I always end up back at square one. I've never touched spririts as I can't stand the taste so beer is my poision. To some I know this wouldn't be called a problem but I just want an AL free life. 4 beers maybe one nite, 2 the next, 12 the next , 3 AL free days, ereatic behaviour like that is my thing.

I've read most of what I can on hear about the above drugs. AA to be just isn't the answer, I know it has helped some but its honestly not for me as I' a kind of do it your self uy. So I've done my home work on the above drugs mentioned.

Antabuse.
    To be honest theres no chance in hell of me taking a drop of alcohol while on this as being sick scares me more than death itself I'm just worried about some of the stories about bad skin and a few other side affects as I already have moderate acne. The voices are what gets me most rather that the craving, you know will I or won't?. If In knew I just couldn't have a drink I honestly think they would just go away.

Naltrexone
    This is the first one that interested me most as its the first one I heard of.. To be honest I could go another 5-6 months drinking if I knew it would work. My plan was to stock up on a few cases of beer at the start of each week and take it from there. Maybe 4-5 beers and a few AL free days a week which I know I could do.

Bacalofen
    This is the one I've been doing most researce of late. It really does seem like a good drug the only thing thats putting me off is the high does you need to take and the price it might cost. Now some might same surely beer costs more but from what I've worked out doses of maybe 270mg are needed before tapering thats about ?50 for a weeks doseage if I'm right which which I just can't afford as I'm currently on a 2 day week.

To be honest there are lots on here with bigger problems that me and I know my life will probably not get much worse (touch wood) and just taper and go no where but I'm going no where fast and would love to be AL free so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it so much. Also my doctor is a no no when it comes to these things, strictly old school AA type so internet is the only way to go for me.

Best wises
    THomas
    Started TSM 07/12 Pre TSM... 50-100 UK units

Drinking under control. Still shooting for abstinence.

Hi

I have tried Antabuse and it's no good because it requires will power to take the drug in the first place, then I started by experimenting with how much I could drink before the side effects started to happen.

I tried Campral and I hated the way I felt, dizzy, tired and I found it very hard to concentrate. Just ordered some Naltexone - will let you know how it goes

BD

Comment

If I had a choice on which med to take, I would pick naltroxene as used by The Sinclair Method. It has worked for a lot of people, but unfortunately not me. Antabuse doesn't seem like it would combat the actually urge to drink and frankly it scares me. I'm on baclofen now, up to 100 mg and I am having some side effects but nothing I can't live with. So far I haven 't reached the switch but I hope too.

Comment

I've used all three.

If I were in your situation I'd try TSM first. It's a more permanent solution (in a sense), much less costly and there are not nearly as many side effects.

This is is more of a personal opinion but I, myself, wouldn't want to try antabuse again. It caused me a lot of grief and maybe even some liver damage trying to drink when I shouldn't have.
        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
        :what?:
        sigpic
        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
        A Forum
        Trolls need not apply

Comment

Working...
        X