Now I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm confused

I've read up and Bac and Nal I swear I am just stuck as to which one to do :upset::upset::upset: I'm waiting for the book on bac but now I want to get the book on TSM. I'm still waiting on the meds but now I'm confused either way I'm sick and I'm getting sicker I have to do something.

Any advice would be good
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Now I'm confused

I'm in the same boat myself. As I'm going for abstinence I'm leaning towards TSM, if it works then no more meds full stop unlike the Bac. I don't like the thoughts of having to taper off anything in a hurry as I've experienced it and its not nice, then again I'd like to just stop drinking now which is what I'd planned if going for the Bac. If i could get a script for Baclofen or if it was OTC (don't live in Spain or India sadly) that would make it easier. If buying Bac online Im thinking I might need to buy a shit load incase I need to taper up quite high without worrying about running out.
    Started TSM 07/12 Pre TSM... 50-100 UK units

Drinking under control. Still shooting for abstinence.

Comment

Now I'm confused

Hi Guys

I at first only read up on Bac and had not heard about Nal at that stage, so went ahead and ordered the Bac. I was only on it for a few weeks when Nal came to my attention. The reason I changed course and ordered the Nal and done TSM is because I preferred to have to only take one Nal when drinking as apposed to Bac which was a lot of pills and would be ongoing. Also i had read somewhere that Nal was also good if you had family members who were alcoholics and this runs quite strongly in my family. This is only my 2 cents worth and hopefully of help.

Comment

Now I'm confused

Guys,
        This is my opinion only, I have not tried Nal, only bac. I originally joined TSM thinking that Nal was going to solve all my problems and I would still be able to drink, but in a controlled manor. I went to my doctor to get Nal but he suggested baclofen instead. I had heard nothing about baclofen and was not sold that i wanted to go this route. I started at the low dose like everyone else and to my surprise, I was able to go AF after only 4 days and at a very low dose (60mg). After about a week or so AF, I suddenly had the realization that I do not need AL in my life and that I did not want it in my life. Also, I have seen too many posts on TSM and here where people are very frustrated with Nal because they have been taking it for so long and little to no results at all. I too did not want to continue drinking for 6-12 months while waiting to see if Nal worked - I had been drinking way too much; way too long. I am still at 60 mg and abot 10 weeks AF and never felt better. So the debate of continuing to take pills to stay away from AL? taking 3 pills a day for me is way better than destroying my health and my life with AL or taking Nal waiting and hoping for a miracle...
        again, just my opinion and experience.

Comment

Now I'm confused

Hoping for the best;841078 wrote: Guys,
          This is my opinion only, I have not tried Nal, only bac. I originally joined TSM thinking that Nal was going to solve all my problems and I would still be able to drink, but in a controlled manor. I went to my doctor to get Nal but he suggested baclofen instead. I had heard nothing about baclofen and was not sold that i wanted to go this route. I started at the low dose like everyone else and to my surprise, I was able to go AF after only 4 days and at a very low dose (60mg). After about a week or so AF, I suddenly had the realization that I do not need AL in my life and that I did not want it in my life. Also, I have seen too many posts on TSM and here where people are very frustrated with Nal because they have been taking it for so long and little to no results at all. I too did not want to continue drinking for 6-12 months while waiting to see if Nal worked - I had been drinking way too much; way too long. I am still at 60 mg and abot 10 weeks AF and never felt better. So the debate of continuing to take pills to stay away from AL? taking 3 pills a day for me is way better than destroying my health and my life with AL or taking Nal waiting and hoping for a miracle...
          Id be very happy if 60mg done it for me. Its taking it up into the hundreds Im worried about but I suppose youll never know until you try right? I can still sort of control my drinking for periods at a time. At the moment I'm out of work and will be for a few months. Money is tight so I'll be off the booze for about 5-6 weeks anyway, I've done it before but have no other option this time. Even being able to do this gives me hope as I know alot of people can't make it throught the day without a drink. So I've a while to think things throught as I've no doubt I'll be back on it when I've a few pound again.
          Started TSM 07/12 Pre TSM... 50-100 UK units

Drinking under control. Still shooting for abstinence.

Comment

Now I'm confused

Hoping for the best;841078 wrote: Guys,
            reading this is giving me hope and I hope I can hit the switch at 60 because honestly reading about people taking it up to the hundreds scares the crap out of me. I was on crampral it worked for a lil bit but then I started back up after a arguement and my Dr told me when he gave me the script that if I came back to him for more meds he would put me in rehab. :upset:So I couldn't go back to him for anything else. I refuse to go into rehab

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Now I'm confused

I agree with Hoping For the Best. However, I will add that 60mg is one of the lowest switches I have ever heard of so I wouldn't want you to be too discouraged if that doesn't happen for you. Just remember if you have to go higher that once you hit the switch you will be able to reduce the dose considerably. It looks like a lot people come down to a dose of 80mg or less (which is what doctors prescribe all the time for a variety of reasons) and is considered by the medically establishment to be a very safe medication and dose range.

I did not research TSM very much but I chose Baclofen because I have anxiety and Baclofen helps with that as well. Also, Baclofen is starting to receive huge success rates for the doctors that are on board with it. Also, it is starting to get a lot of medical attention now. I also like that you are not required to keep drinking to make it work, but if you do keep drinking, it still works. And, Baclofen for most people takes about 1-2 months to reach the switch once they start. Dr Ameisen did it in 37 days and he went all the way up to 270 mg.

I have no problem with taking a safe dose of a safe medication for the rest of my life. I do that with antidepressants and people do it all the time for cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and a host of other illnesses. It is a heck of a lot better than drinking poison for the rest of your life.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. You have to chose what is right for you.

Comment

Now I'm confused

Fallonsmom,

Check out the TSM website and you will read up on their. I know of quite a few that it didn't work for, myself included. I didn't do it for the 6 months, but I was drinking almost as much, and I felt like I was giving myself a licence to drink. Having since trying Bac, I am now down to a respectable level. In fact, twice this week I have given up on fleeting thoughts of going to the beer store!!! I had one beer on Monday, and none since.....I actually had a sober Saturday evening in I don't know how long!

Personally, I prefer Bac, though the road has been somewhat rocky. The SE's were a little crazy but after reading Jenn's post on another thread, it was suggested to her to back it down a bit and titrate slower, and this is what I have done. I had wicked vertigo, and terrible leg twitching....it was also affecting my sleep--as in not getting any. Having since reducing, I have reduced the severity of the SE's. I was going up way too fast.....go slow. It took a bit of time to get us this way, try to have a little patience to get better.

I hope this helps....PM me anytime.
                AF July 6 2014

Comment

Now I'm confused

Thats Awesome Christy! glad it is starting to get better for u. I was scared u might consider giving up on baclofen.

Comment

Now I'm confused

I'm just going to go with Bac because I don't need to be drinking at all

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Now I'm confused

No one needs it! Not even a drop! Good for you FallonsMom - you wont regret it! Cant wait to here your updates!

Comment

Now I'm confused

Another option is to do both. I believe L0op [if I remember right] does it that way, and recommends it.

For baclofen, I wouldn't recommend trying it if you aren't willing to go up to 300mg. You definitely might get lucky and hit your switch at 60mg, but that probably won't happen, and it can be very discouraging to keep at it and not see any results for a while.

But, if you are mentally prepared to take it all the way up to 300mg if necessary, then I would fully endorse it - it's been a miracle for me personally, as well as many others here.

Comment

Now I'm confused

I swear it seems like it's taken forever to get here to me I ordered it last friday from in-house and I ordered the book from amazon and neither is here yet. I wanted to have atleast read the book by now.

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Now I'm confused

I got the book over the weekend but I'm still waiting on the meds

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Now I'm confused

It's here!!!!!!!!!

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X