Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr Ameisen was NOT drinking when he hit the switch - PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Ameisen was NOT drinking when he hit the switch - PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!

I have read many different times on this forum that Dr Ameisen was drinking when he reached the Baclofen switch. However, best I can tell - he wasn't. I really need someone to point out to me how they know he was because I am not seeing that and I don't want be sharing false information.

I read the book and I think the misconception about whether or not he was drinking comes from the fact that he was clearly drinking during his first run up to 180mg at which time he became concerned about the high dose and then he backed down. After an unsuccessful run with Topamax and after reassuring himself that 300mg was safe with Baclofen, he started his second attempt with Baclofen.

The book is not clear at all about whether or not he was drinking the second time, so I went to his case report. There it clearly says under the section called PATIENT AND METHODS, "On January 9, 2004, day 1 of post-relapse abstinence, I started oral baclofen monotherapy...". Under the section called RESULTS he says, "I have not had a drink since January 9, 2004".

So, unless I am missing something, he did this while abstinent. I really don't care either way, I just want to get my facts straight. I reached my switch while drinking and I have a whole lot more to say about that, so I think I will start a separate thread.

Kelly

You are correct. He was abstinent for 38 days when he hit his switch at 270 mg/day.

Earlier, he had been at 180 mg/day for 20 months while binging regularly.

Comment

I hadn't read his book but I did read his case report. He clearly stated he was abstinent when reaching his "switch" dose. I would assume his case report would have to be backed up by his history, i.e. his book, otherwise the medical community would have dismissed him out of hand.

I have read the posts about him drinking while he reached his switch and it worried me. I haven't posted much lately because alcohol doesn't pose much of a problem for me anymore, but I still read everything. This is a misunderstanding that I think needs to be corrected, if a poster would be so kind as to put this to rest it would be appreciated.
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Lo0p;843304 wrote: I haven't posted much lately because alcohol doesn't pose much of a problem for me anymore, but I still read everything.
        ***Trying to speak in stern fatherly voice***

But there are many others who are still struggling who would appreciate the support of one of those who made it...
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
        X