Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking While Taking Baclofen - Your Thoughts? Here are Mine

how will i feel the switch

Hi everyone, I'm a recovering cocaine and booze addict. I've done 2 rehabs and 2 sponsors at na and still think I can have just one beer. I am currently in majorca on my hols with my wife and daughter. I have been taking baclofen for about 4 weeks now and am up to 140mg a day. I can't believe how great I feel. I'm less anxious, self conscious, irritable etc etc. I don't even fancy a beer, or do I humm don't know really, but aren't going to try until I hit the " switch" . Don't actually know what that means. Can anyone tell me how I will know please !!

Comment

for me the switch means I don't have any major difficulty staying abstinent. That is all I want or need.I have been at that point for the past 4 1/2 months. Yippee. Glad you are feeling well on the bac
      keep it up and good luck!

Comment

Maybe this discussion will help others who are "newer" here?

And, as always, I recommend (HIGHLY) birdy's blog:

How High Dose Baclofen Cured My Alcoholism
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Read that blog, very inspiring and hope inducing.

I know I plan to drink while taking bac, even if that makes it slightly harder. Hangovers have become a deterrent to some, it seems. That sucks. I hate hangovers. Obviously. Never used to get them, found it hilarious watching everyone who was bright green the next morning. They could never believe it, the guy who had drank twice as much as them wasn't ill in the slightest!? Shoes on the other foot now though. If my hangovers get worse, I may stop during the bac ride, if that becomes an option. Body must be getting tired of this abuse.
          Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Thanks, beatle. Birdy was one of my first inspirations and I'd forgotten about her blog. Good stuff.

Comment

Beatle, thanks for posting Birdy's blog. I hadn't seen it. I'm so tired these days from bac and hangovers, it's caused me to reduce my bac dosage and I am wondering how anyone can get that high a dosage and still function safely. I've ordered Dr A's book, so hopefully that will give me courage to move further.

Anyone have concerns about getting a DUI while on bac? In California, you can be on prescription drugs and be cited with a DUI which would basically ruin my career. Unless you were able to just get away with a warning for not paying enough attention (so many cell phone users almost kill me weekly) based on breathalizer being clear of AL. Knowing that many of us are experiencing significant SEs at low and high levels before hitting the switch, I'm sure there's a variety of experiences out there. I would be happy with a citation for careless driving vs DUI, if it meants I'd hit the switch!

Neva Eva, you had some concerns early on, are they gone?

Thanks! Happy New Year, everyone. Safe and healthy 2011 to us all!

Comment

I have stopped taking Balofen. It certainly helped me loose my infatuation with alcohol, because it took away all pleasurable feelings and made my hangovers just terrible.

I started baclofan over a year ago and documented my side effects from drinking on bac sometime ago. I really had an experience where I thought that I would die. This included complete paralysis.

I was never able to get above 30mgs daily without side effects.

What bac has done for me is more subtle. The light headed highs were replaced by a feeling of disorientation and heavy headedness. Just horrible. I have had an increasing aversion to drinking as a result.

Since my encounter with baclofen I have had more and more sober days. I would say that I have been drunk about 10 times over the past year. That is 355 more sober days than ever before.

Comment

veritas, (love the name, by the way) there was a time when your post would've made me very, very nervous.
                  I stayed at 30mg/day to 50mg/day for about 5 weeks until I took the chance and started titrating up. The side effects became much less destructive for me almost immediately when I went up.
                  I had a lot of the same side effects you experienced. And I wish I'd walked away with 355 sober days. That's simply amazing.
                  Would you mind detailing your drinking and your experience a little for the sake of understanding your current post on this thread?

And I ditto what Ig is about to write. :H

Comment

That's a hefty vote in Baclofen's favor I think.

I think some people only need the Baclofen induced opportunity to see where they were going wrong. Others like myself are going to need a little more time to come to terms with a different approach to life.

Best of wishes for 2011 veritas and hopefully there will hear more stories like yours this year.
                    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Birdy, your story has inspired me so much on my journey with BAC.

I started in October and got up to about 160. I stopped taking it in Dec. as I was getting frustrated with the SE's (especially horrible weight gain on my part)... anyway, seeing your post here & now has inspired me to give it another go and I will not stop this time until a switch comes. I had a hard time not drinking on the BAC, so this new thread has been a blessing for me to read. Thank you (everyone) for posting.
                      Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Comment

Just keep taking the pills help4me. Eventually they will do the job. Keep us all posted.
                        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Thanks, Ig. I'm just gearing up to start again... this time without stopping. You inspire me
                          Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Comment

bump for charlie and others
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Birdy, I just read your story. Thank you so much for posting it - it is so helpful and motivating. And thanks beatle for bumping it.

Comment

Working...
                              X