just starting out on baclofen today-urgent questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping for the best;845290 wrote: The only thing I would say about trying to raise the doses faster is that the side effects may become too much for him and cause discouragement. I would stick with the 10-10-10 for now and give it some time. Sleepiness for me was the effect that helped me the most but I did not have to detox. The big thing right now is to get through the detox phase. This is the most critical phase.
    Sorry if I am not much help. Please keep us updated.
    Thanks for the advice - it is really helpful to me personally to have access to experienced people to use as a sounding board. Will stick to 10-10-10. Thank you so much.

Comment

any better???? make sure he drinks lots of water
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

FallonsMom;845322 wrote: any better???? make sure he drinks lots of water
        Not much better - and i have to go out to work for a few hours - i am afraid to leave him but he is sleeping a bit now.

Is 5 shots of vodka too much for a 3.5 hours of time ? He used to drink whole 26ers in a day.

Comment

Not sure how to respond but glad he is sleeping. Maybe he will sleep through til you get home and feel better when he wakes up.

Comment

susanna;845360 wrote: Not much better - and i have to go out to work for a few hours - i am afraid to leave him but he is sleeping a bit now.

Is 5 shots of vodka too much for a 3.5 hours of time ? He used to drink whole 26ers in a day.
            I don't think many people will venture advice on this one...

I can only speak for myself and say that it doesn't seem excessive given his prior history.

What really helped for me while I was tapering was to actually measure amounts carefully, whereas I used to drink straight from the bottle or just pour copious amounts into a glass.

OK, let me try to give the rest of my response some structure:

1. I've bumped the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html for you.

2. Have a look at this article in particular: http://www.urbanfool.us/MWO/addolorato.pdf regarding the management of WD using bac as opposed to benzos.

3. Here is a link to a thread detailing the tapering experience of someone else (thanks, Cathy - wherever you are now): https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ggy-34156.html

4. My own approach to tapering was slightly different. Here is a link to my very 1st thread on MWO, before I switched to posting on the Meds Forum & in General. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...tic-34490.html (I was reluctant to post the link, when I re-read it, but I think it might be of some use).

Again: I can only say good luck to the both of you. Your brother is a very fortunate man to have someone like you to look after him!
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add:

Get him some milk thistle tabs / capsules to help boost his liver metabolism, as well as L-Glutamine powder, of which he can easily take 18 000mg per day. It didn't do much for my cravings, but it did help with IBS as a result of AL, but most importantly to help level out my blood sugar - a huge factor in cravings & general well-being.
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;845381 wrote: Oh, and I forgot to add:

Get him some milk thistle tabs / capsules to help boost his liver metabolism, as well as L-Glutamine powder, of which he can easily take 18 000mg per day. It didn't do much for my cravings, but it did help with IBS as a result of AL, but most importantly to help level out my blood sugar - a huge factor in cravings & general well-being.
                THANKS FOR THIS INFO!!
                I am studying it now.

What is IBS?

Comment

tiptronic_ct;845380 wrote: I don't think many people will venture advice on this one...

I can only speak for myself and say that it doesn't seem excessive given his prior history.

What really helped for me while I was tapering was to actually measure amounts carefully, whereas I used to drink straight from the bottle or just pour copious amounts into a glass.

1. I've bumped the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html for you.

2. Have a look at this article in particular: http://www.urbanfool.us/MWO/addolorato.pdf regarding the management of WD using bac as opposed to benzos.

3. Here is a link to a thread detailing the tapering experience of someone else (thanks, Cathy - wherever you are now): https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ggy-34156.html

4. My own approach to tapering was slightly different. Here is a link to my very 1st thread on MWO, before I switched to posting on the Meds Forum & in General. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...tic-34490.html (I was reluctant to post the link, when I re-read it, but I think it might be of some use).

Again: I can only say good luck to the both of you. Your brother is a very fortunate man to have someone like you to look after him!
                  Tip - this has been so helpful. I feel much more sure of what we are doing. And it occurs to me that Paul has been tapering too quickly - that's why it's been so violent for him.

It's now 5 pm - just got back to his place. He's in rough shape but at least today did not vomit and less severe agitation/body spams. So in spite of how miserable he feels - and he is feeling miserable - this is a slightly better day then yesterday.

He's had 6.5 shots in 4 hours now. And a total of almost 9 shots/doses of alcohol (vodka and a little bit of beer) in8 hours. I guess that's not too bad - he sure is out of it though - it's like he's had an entire bottle. If the bac is making the alcohol effects worse that would explain it right?

Man I am confused - if BAC amplifies alcohol - I hope the overall effect is not to negate the tapering down ?

Comment

tiptronic_ct;845380 wrote: I don't think many people will venture advice on this one...

Tip - this has been so helpful. I feel much more sure of what we are doing. And it occurs to me that Paul has been tapering too quickly - that's why it's been so violent for him.

It's now 5 pm - just got back to his place. He's in rough shape but at least today did not vomit and less severe agitation/body spams. So in spite of how miserable he feels - and he is feeling miserable - this is a slightly better day then yesterday.

He's had 6.5 shots in 4 hours now. And a total of almost 9 shots/doses of alcohol (vodka and a little bit of beer) in8 hours. I guess that's not too bad - he sure is out of it though - it's like he's had an entire bottle. If the bac is making the alcohol effects worse that would explain it right?

Man I am confused - if BAC amplifies alcohol - I hope the overall effect is not to negate the tapering down ?

Comment

He probably is "out of it" due to the alcohol and the bac. I dont think u have to worry about baclofen being counterproductive to his recovery. hang in there. We are here with you both. I hope he has a good night. You both are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know in the am how he is doing.

Comment

Hoping for the best;845647 wrote: He's had 6.5 shots in 4 hours now. And a total of almost 9 shots/doses of alcohol (vodka and a little bit of beer) in8 hours. I guess that's not too bad - he sure is out of it though - it's like he's had an entire bottle. If the bac is making the alcohol effects worse that would explain it right?

He probably is "out of it" due to the alcohol and the bac. I dont think u have to worry about baclofen being counterproductive to his recovery. hang in there. We are here with you both. I hope he has a good night. You both are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know in the am how he is doing.
                        Hi - good morning. Your message was helpful for me last night - thank you. I did speak with Dr. Levin last night and he also reaffrmed that Paul does not need to quit drinking while getting to the switch - he should just keep drinking as he needs to to avoid WDLs.

So Paul woke up at about 9 and he's needed 5 shots of vodka to calm down. Now he's in bed (sleeping) but but not moaning or shaking or sweating. My goal is to get food, liquids, B1, milk thistle and tonnes of L-Glutamine into him today.

His dosage was 15 day 1, 15 day 2, 25 day 3 and today we'll see. It's hard to tell if he's having and SE given his baseline state.

How are you today?

Comment

Hoping for the best;845647 wrote: He's had 6.5 shots in 4 hours now. And a total of almost 9 shots/doses of alcohol (vodka and a little bit of beer) in8 hours. I guess that's not too bad - he sure is out of it though - it's like he's had an entire bottle. If the bac is making the alcohol effects worse that would explain it right?

funny thing to me it felt like it took longer for me to get a buzz from AL while taken the bac
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Good to Here! Sounds like slowly but surely he is getting better, and good that you talked to the doc. Remember, try not to be in too much of a hurry to up that dosage, it will come in time. If the SEs are too much he may get discouraged and feel like he will never feel normal again. Yes, I hope he will eat today and get plenty of rest. Water would be good too so try to encourage him to get lots of water.
                            Keep us posted! I hope you are taking care of yourself as well.

Comment

I am re-reading your postings to me

tom4now;845008 wrote: yes its documented and I said standard detox protocol....if he feels he can do it the way hes done it before try it...the bottom line is when you really get sick enough you will want to get off,
                              and not keep going.

I have seen so many that went on binges/ drunks/ longterm steady drinkers and they got so sick from there alcohol use and as you have posted above he sounded pretty sick.

As I said when you are in detox you are so sick you cant move so most alcoholics will greatfully take the benzo taper....it works well its relatively fast and safe but as I said no alcohol...so to me its sounds like your brother does not want to quit right away....he can taper off with alcohol....however most alcoholics find it a very hard and painful process.

The choices are there for him...hes lucky he has alternatives either way...and the thing one has to refelect on is can the intoxicated individual decide with reason whats best for a noted condition?
                              Hi again - I re-read your postings because you said you had posted the same message to me so many times. It's interesting what I am getting by re-reading a second time all the comments - and there are a range of view points that is for sure. But in the end I think you are right - Paul is not in the best condition to determine what's best. So he has now taken Ativan - and is totally stoned and resting comfortably - much to my relief.
                              Thanks for the kick in the pants.... what a week this has been.

Comment

I've been following your story closely, susanna. I haven't chipped in until now, partly because I am trying to wean myself from hours of time on MWO every night (and at periodic intervals during the day).

I have followed all the threads on Baclofen on this forum (I mean ALL) for 10 months (I've been on bac for 9 months). It took me 3-4 hours per day for 10 months. Reading all these posts, added to my own personal experience, it is clear that everyone is so different -- their bodies, their situations, their mental states -- that nobody can make generalizations.

Yeh, I know that is not exactly an epiphany... but I am bringing this up because all the different people's stories and their experiences with bac show that while many people can hardly tolerate bac at low doses, and many do quit because they are discouraged by the SEs, there are many others who went up extremely quickly, with no, or negligible, SEs. (I believe most of these have been men.)
                                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X