Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just starting out on baclofen today-urgent questions

susanna;846849 wrote:
    I think that is a big hurdle for people - that with all other programs and meds it seems that abstinence is required to even get started - which is a brutal requirement. To me, it's like telling a cancer or a diabetes patient that they need to be symptom free before they can get radiation or insulin.
    spot on, susanna.

I have always had to detox before I could start on any medication or programme (and I've pretty much tried them all). Not only is this a major hurdle, but the disappointment, the utter despair, that follows when the meds or programme don't work, have always driven me to higher levels of alcohol abuse shortly after.

I reached a point where I was afraid to detox (something I've become quite expert at, btw, after long years of practice:upset -- not just because of the horrible physical and mental torment of the detoxing process, but also because I came to associate the goal of getting sober with the devastation and despondency that would inevitably follow shortly thereafter.

I think many on this forum have been under the misconception that bac should be taken only after becoming AF, but I think that misconception has been put straight now.

(However, it may in fact be that for many people the process goes more quickly without alcohol in the picture.)

It's like that old joke:

How to become a millionaire: First, you get a million dollars...

How to stop drinking: First, you get sober...
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hey, Susanna

How is Paul doing today?
      I'll do whatever it takes
      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;847369 wrote: Hey, Susanna

How is Paul doing today?
        Hello Tip - he's doing much better today - stable mood, diminishing amounts of alcohol (beer), sleepy but eating well and reading Dr A's book! He's back- my baby brother is (almost back)!!

He's on 30 mgs BAC today. Monday will try 50 and see what that does.

Thanks for checking in!

Comment

Hi there

Just starting out - Susan is my sister, and without here I wouldn't even have the fingers to write this....

I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and I hope this is the answer...

- p :new:

Comment

So happy to see you post Paul. Your sister is amazing and she is fighting so hard for you. I hope this is the answer for you. Keep up the fight - you are worth it! :welcome:
            AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Paul!
              Welcome! You have a great sister there and I have no doubt that Baclofen will help you on your road to AF. I am using baclofen and am 12 weeks without alcohol and no desire for it - can you imagine that? I couldnt but here I am and you will too my friend. Keep in touch!
              Hoping

Comment

Paul great to see you post. Stick around!
                Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

on baclofen for 4 weeks now

hello, i a new to this forum and wanted to inform you how it goes for me since i always find it very helpful to know about experiences from others..

i am a heavy bloke and have tirated up to 100mg/day but could not say that my cravinf has all but dissapeared, it comes once a week and i usually give in, HOWEVER the way i drink has massively changed...
                  the greed to down own after the other has dissapeared, i have a more relaxed attitude towards booze, i dont have massive hangovers,
                  in short, very positive, however also concerning, as i do enjoy drinking now more than ever...and this should not be the case..i am afraid..

last time i had 3 pints and went home, would have NEVER happened before...but still i drink and i enjoy it..which scares me some how

thanks
                  rudolf

Comment

paulslice;847471 wrote: Just starting out - Susan is my sister, and without here I wouldn't even have the fingers to write this....

I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and I hope this is the answer...

- p :new:
                    Nice to meet you, Paul and to see things are getting better!
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Welcome Paul!!!!
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Paul, it's so good to hear from you and that you must be doing better. You have a great sister! It's great that we're all moving forward towards freedom from this awful disease.

Comment

rudolf;847570 wrote: hello, i a new to this forum and wanted to inform you how it goes for me since i always find it very helpful to know about experiences from others..

i am a heavy bloke and have tirated up to 100mg/day but could not say that my cravinf has all but dissapeared, it comes once a week and i usually give in, HOWEVER the way i drink has massively changed...
                          the greed to down own after the other has dissapeared, i have a more relaxed attitude towards booze, i dont have massive hangovers,
                          in short, very positive, however also concerning, as i do enjoy drinking now more than ever...and this should not be the case..i am afraid..

last time i had 3 pints and went home, would have NEVER happened before...but still i drink and i enjoy it..which scares me some how

thanks
                          rudolf
                          Hey, Rudolf

Can I suggest that you start your own thread? That way, your posts don't get lost on a thread where the topic is slightly different?
                          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Bumping this so it's visible to new users....

BUMP

tiptronic_ct;844427 wrote: Hey, susanna

Best of luck to you and your brother. I agree with the others on taking it slowly at first.

However, if he suffers from minimal side-effects and needn't go to work or outside much, I would consider titrating up a bit faster after a week or so.

At lower levels (up to about 160mg), I had little or no side-effects and could increase my dose by increments of more or less 10mg daily, even faster if I increased over a weekend.

I managed to become AF in less than 3 months, including having to titrate down to zero after running out of bac on my 1st attempt.

Again: best of luck and you've come to a good place for support

Comment

Hello everyone

Just wanted to say Paul has improved somewhat again today. I think one more day of being mostly in bed and then he'll be on his feet again. He read a lot of Dr. A's book and is quite moved by it all - it really is such a fantastic story and resource and clarifies so much about what addiction is all about.

He's eating, resting, drinking fluids, supplements and beer on a managed schedule.

He said to me today he is looking forward to connecting with this forum soon,

Today is took 50 - 20-20-10

Will update again on Tuesday.

Sending good vibes to you all.

Susan

Comment

Hey ev'body

Well - I'm finally well enough to actually even use the keyboard... Thank you all so much for your support and info. I actually went out for a long long walk - a beautiful spring day here in Toronto, and I live a block from a massive sprawling park (High Park). Then came home, had a massive meal and about a litre of gatorade...

So that felt good, but I still feel like crap. I don't know if it's that I'm still detoxing or the effects of the BAC, but I'm very foggy, my spatial awareness is way off, as are my motor skills. And I just got a massive headache, so I popped an ibuprofen. I've felt this way before when detoxing, but this seems to be going on a little long. I've only had about 5 or 6 pints of beer a day for the last few days, so... I haven't drank at all today and don't plan to, which is made easier by the fact that I haven't smoked, which is my major trigger. We'll see what happens. I can't believe that I see people talking about hitting the switch at upwards of 260/day. That sounds frightening, given what I'm already feeling from the drug (I'm at 50/day right now). Also I've been having incredibly vivid but disturbing dreams...

And yes, I am ridiculously lucky to have such a wonderful sister. I've put her through so much, and wouldn't be standing here without her. Ok I'll shut up now. Hello again and any thoughts on these thoughts would be great...:thanks:

Comment

Working...
                                X