Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just starting out on baclofen today-urgent questions

Hi Paul,
    I've been reading your sister's account of your situation and I'm so glad you're feeling better. I can't imagine what you went through. I have never gone through a detox before so I can't comment on the withdrawal signs. But as far as bac goes, you might feel foggy and sleep for the first few weeks but it usually passes. I'm at 105mg right now (going slow) and I notice every time I bump up, I get a little nauseated for a day or two. I, too, am nervous about going up to 260-300mg...hopefully you and I will hit the switch at a lower dose. Glad to see you up and around....take care of yourself!

Comment

Hi Paul,

I read where you mentioned you drink and smoke seeing I too smoke and to me you can't do one without the other. One very promising bit of news is that Dr. Levin said when you hit the switch not only will the drinking go but the smoking as well. Baclofen takes care of all kinds of addictions. Don't worry about when you hit the switch it could be as low as 140mg.

Keep posting so we know how you're doing.

Comment

Hi Paul... so glad to gear you are progressing well. Just want to throw an idea your way...people hit the switch at a range of dosage levels. I think there probably is a formula somewhere that can correlate all the variables --history, years of drinking, units of AL, height, weight, etc., but from what I've gathered it still is a bit of a mystery that no one has cracked yet. You may hit your switch much lower than 260 mg.
        Second, the most amazing thing to me about BAC, other than the fact that it works, is how well many of us simply adjust to the dosages. I hit my switch at 130 and had struggled with SEs through most of the upward titration process. I had to go very slow indeed. However once I hit the switch and began titrating down all the SEs disappeared. I'm holding steady now (and sober) at 60 mg. So just hang in there, go slowly, and you will get there, I promise. It's not hyperbole to say that BAC has saved my life.
        My thoughts are with you and your sis.

Comment

These posts are encouraging!

Henritta that is so good to hear someone else had to take it slow....I find the side effects hit me quite a bit and on the other hand I hear so many people saying they tolerate so well...so it incouraging for me as im having dificulty with SE's...and glad to hear Paul your doing better...been following this post for while...Baclofen is such a amazing find for all of of with this selfdestructing desease!!! :goodjob:

Comment

Smoking

corkit;848431 wrote: Hi Paul,

I read where you mentioned you drink and smoke seeing I too smoke and to me you can't do one without the other. One very promising bit of news is that Dr. Levin said when you hit the switch not only will the drinking go but the smoking as well. Baclofen takes care of all kinds of addictions. Don't worry about when you hit the switch it could be as low as 140mg.

Keep posting so we know how you're doing.
            I don't know how you're doing, but a totally amazing resource is a book called "How to Stop Smoking and Stay Stopped", by Gillian Riley. It's the only thing that ever works for me, and totally demystifies that addiction. I screwed up and started smoking again, and I can say that that was the major factor in my relapse. I found that I could drink in a totally controlled way when I was off the cigs. Just a FYI. Can't recommend the book highly enough.

Comment

Thanks

hoping4better;848410 wrote: Hi Paul,
              I've been reading your sister's account of your situation and I'm so glad you're feeling better. I can't imagine what you went through. I have never gone through a detox before so I can't comment on the withdrawal signs. But as far as bac goes, you might feel foggy and sleep for the first few weeks but it usually passes. I'm at 105mg right now (going slow) and I notice every time I bump up, I get a little nauseated for a day or two. I, too, am nervous about going up to 260-300mg...hopefully you and I will hit the switch at a lower dose. Glad to see you up and around....take care of yourself!
              Thanks for the heads up - Feeling a little better... I hope you are too...

Comment

Thanks

Henrietta;848437 wrote: Hi Paul... so glad to gear you are progressing well. Just want to throw an idea your way...people hit the switch at a range of dosage levels. I think there probably is a formula somewhere that can correlate all the variables --history, years of drinking, units of AL, height, weight, etc., but from what I've gathered it still is a bit of a mystery that no one has cracked yet. You may hit your switch much lower than 260 mg.
                Second, the most amazing thing to me about BAC, other than the fact that it works, is how well many of us simply adjust to the dosages. I hit my switch at 130 and had struggled with SEs through most of the upward titration process. I had to go very slow indeed. However once I hit the switch and began titrating down all the SEs disappeared. I'm holding steady now (and sober) at 60 mg. So just hang in there, go slowly, and you will get there, I promise. It's not hyperbole to say that BAC has saved my life.
                My thoughts are with you and your sis.
                Heya - thanks for the info. I think I'm coming round as the toxins leave me, but still really foggy - I'm hoping that'll change as I continue to detox, and get used to the drug... 60mg sounds good, but I'm guessing that I'll need a little more than that. Take care...

Comment

Paul? Susanna? You've gone awfully quiet?

BTW: I'm a smoker as well. Bac has done zilch for my smoking...
                  I'll do whatever it takes
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Well, Tip, we have no idea what the switch dosage is for cigarettes.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi from Susanna

Hi everyone - I haven't been here - was giving Paul space to use this place as his sounding board. I just got a private email so came online to respond to that.

But Paul is working on the dosage - he is titrating up slowling - says he is staying at 20 mg for a while. I let him know to drop in and update people here.

Thanks for checking in Tip!

Comment

2 years to the day since my first post here

Hello everyone:
                        For some reason, which I only realized just this moment why, I had decided to check in to My Way Out and see how people are doing.

Then, I realized that it was exactly 2 years ago that I first made a posting here - on this thread. It took another six months for my lovely brother to hit his switch. Five months of slow, or non-progressive titration, followed by a really aggressive titration schedule. Then, in less than 10 days, he hit his switch. It was a wild and terrifying 10 days and not a protocol that is recommended. He was in such an extreme place at the time. Then it was like the skies parted and the sun-rays of St. Peter came pouring down, to a chorus of Allelujah (sp?) when he did hit his switch at 380 mgs at 11:30 pm on October 14, 2010.

As some of you know, I was a regular and very engaged person on this site for a period that was dramatic for everyone who was reading the story at the time.

Since then, he has been safe, healthy, flourishing and building his life!
                        It's a miracle. Beyond joy and peace.

Be certain that baclofen can stop the craving and your life can become what you were meant to live. Make this your only priority and make it work. Don't give up. Try every method of getting to the level that produces your switch. Do what ever it takes to make that happen.

That's my view - as a person that watched my brother do exactly that and is now well and flourishing!

Much respect,

Susan

Comment

Nice to see you back here Susanna. Any chance that Paul can give us all an update himself? Is he currently taking baclofen?

-tk
                          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Wow this is an old thread. Very interesting. The one thing that surprised me was Dr L actually called in a prescription. He made me write my own list and hand it to the pharmacist. They thought I was off my rocker. I had so many problems trying to get my dosage I had to start ordering online. I actually bothered paying $130 for sessions with him over the phone where I had to make the conversation while he'd be eating lunch. I am sure he means well but I think he has too many patients and I have given up on him.

I can't believe he made it to 380mg. Everyone is different. So happy you both made it through!

Comment

Thanks so much for updating, Susanna.

I have thought of Paul and hoped he--and you--were well. Glad to hear that's the case.

In fact, I'm overjoyed!

Congratulations to you both and thanks again.

Comment

Wow I don't believe this I just logged on again recently and am so happy to see your post. I've thought about you and Paul often and hoped things were working out. I'm absolutely delighted to see that they have.

Comment

Working...
                                X