Meds users MWO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meds users MWO

I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but would obviously appreciate feedback / comments from others...

I've noticed that, (with a few exceptions) very few of the regular posters on the Meds Forum also participate elsewhere on MWO.

I can't help but wonder why...

For me, MWO has meant so much, and it still remains an important part of my recovery. I have had nothing but support, regardless of what methods people have tried in their quest to become sober.

As I said... just wondering... It isn't intended as a negative or positive observation, it's just fairly noticeable.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Meds users MWO

Tip I think this is a great question and I'm looking forward just out of curiousity to the feedback. Mean time, if the question were to be asked in reverse, I rarely post but often read in the Meds section as I am always interested in how other people are getting and staying sober.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Meds users MWO

tiptronic ct;844859 wrote: I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but would obviously appreciate feedback / comments from others...

I've noticed that, (with a few exceptions) very few of the regular posters on the Meds Forum also participate elsewhere on MWO.

I can't help but wonder why...

For me, MWO has meant so much, and it still remains an important part of my recovery. I have had nothing but support, regardless of what methods people have tried in their quest to become sober.

As I said... just wondering... It isn't intended as a negative or positive observation, it's just fairly noticeable.

Good question mr tips, I often read the meds forums to see whats happening in that world but as i have never taken any myself i cant really comment in them, But i to have often wondered why most posters there dont participate elsewhere on mwo

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Meds users MWO

Bump

Comment

Meds users MWO

tawnyfrog;846355 wrote: Bump
          And if you do get involved elswhere here -..... tell them about your success with BAC!!!

People elsewhere here have no idea the stuff exists yet. Spread the word.

Comment

Meds users MWO

I'm afraid this topic is still bugging me, so I'll share some further thoughts, even if its in the form of a monologue...

Rest assured, I come in peace...

AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Meds users MWO

I have read through the thread that susanna posted in the "Need help ASAP" section: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...ead-42018.html

If I may, I would like to start out by "criticising" some of the non-meds members, who commented that baclofen cannot be used to manage AWD. If there had been a wider understanding of bac, they would have been aware of this study: http://www.urbanfool.us/MWO/addolorato.pdf in which it was found that valium and bac worked equally well to manage uncomplicated AWD.

That kind of thing WILL lead to friction.
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Meds users MWO

tiptronic_ct;846404 wrote: I'm afraid this topic is still bugging me, so I'll share some further thoughts, even if its in the form of a monologue...

Rest assured, I come in peace...

Hi Tip, for me I have just started posting here (but been reading for a long time) and I do read the other threads. I just felt a little strange posting elsewhere because I am doing NAL and didn't know if the non med users would welcome someone who is using meds. I for sure need all the support I can get so I will definately starting posting on the other threads. I know from other websites/forums that meds users are put down for not sticking with the AA way - I have done that twice but it just didn't work for me. So far the NAL is helping me and I truly believe it will be the "cure" for me - I am not looking to moderate, I can't wait to be absolutely free from AL. I have no desire to find a way to keep AL in my life. It really discourages me when I am lectured at the other sites I have been on - they think NAL users are just looking for a way to keep drinking. I truly believe there are many ways to quit drinking and one thing doesn't work for everyone. Thanks for sharing your concerns, I appreciate you reaching out to us med users.
                AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Meds users MWO

For me, the answer is very simple: time.

I used to post mostly on the Holistic Healing forum, in combination with Just Starting Out (in the beginning), and General Discussion after that.

I even initiated the "Need Help ASAP" (which I used a couple of times).

But life is all about prioritising. And right now, Bac is what is driving my recovery. And I find I get equal amounts of support here on meds as in general discussion...

I do still visit the Holistic Healing and General Discussion forums regularly, but I don't feel like I have so much to give or to take there anymore. My physical recovery is bac-centric, while I am working on my psychological recovery (or my "issues", in modern terms) through therapy (and the support of those on the bac threads:thanks
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Meds users MWO

red67;846423 wrote: Hi Tip, for me I have just started posting here (but been reading for a long time) and I do read the other threads. I just felt a little strange posting elsewhere because I am doing NAL and didn't know if the non med users would welcome someone who is using meds. I for sure need all the support I can get so I will definately starting posting on the other threads. I know from other websites/forums that meds users are put down for not sticking with the AA way - I have done that twice but it just didn't work for me. So far the NAL is helping me and I truly believe it will be the "cure" for me - I am not looking to moderate, I can't wait to be absolutely free from AL. I have no desire to find a way to keep AL in my life. It really discourages me when I am lectured at the other sites I have been on - they think NAL users are just looking for a way to keep drinking. I truly believe there are many ways to quit drinking and one thing doesn't work for everyone. Thanks for sharing your concerns, I appreciate you reaching out to us med users.
                    Thanks for that, Red

Elsewhere on MWO, I mostly interact with the members on the Army & Next Day Threads on a daily basis. Only one other regular participant (that I'm aware of) on those threads also use baclofen. Both of us have had great support, regardless of being meds users.

Of course I also keep an eye on the other areas to cheer on newbies or see if someone needs help. The good thing is that I've been able to get knowledge about bac out there by pointing them to Lo0p's info thread, along with a link to the Toolbox Thread in Monthly Abstinence.
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Meds users MWO

beatle;846434 wrote: For me, the answer is very simple: time.

I used to post mostly on the Holistic Healing forum, in combination with Just Starting Out (in the beginning), and General Discussion after that.

I even initiated the "Need Help ASAP" (which I used a couple of times).

But life is all about prioritising. And right now, Bac is what is driving my recovery. And I find I get equal amounts of support here on meds as in general discussion...

I do still visit the Holistic Healing and General Discussion forums regularly, but I don't feel like I have so much to give or to take there anymore. My physical recovery is bac-centric, while I am working on my psychological recovery (or my "issues", in modern terms) through therapy (and the support of those on the bac threads:thanks
                      Beatle, you're as practical as ever :l

But as you can see from the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...our-38591.html I pretty much MAKE time for MWO, especially the fun side

By the way: Tigger is proudly pictured next to a bottle of Pacifen :H:H:H
                      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Meds users MWO

Yes, I know. I follow the Tigger World Tour thread avidly.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Meds users MWO

[QUOTE=red67;846423 I just felt a little strange posting elsewhere because I am doing NAL and didn't know if the non med users would welcome someone who is using meds. I for sure need all the support I can get so I will definately starting posting on the other threads. I know from other websites/forums that meds users are put down for not sticking with the AA way - I have done that twice but it just didn't work for me. So far the NAL is helping me and I truly believe it will be the cure for me - I am not looking to moderate, I can't wait to be absolutely free from AL..
                          I stumbled on this thread after a reference to it on the Army thread.

I never come to this part of the site because I'm not keen on any sort of medication, although I am not completely negative about them - I use them judiciously but for the most part want to be assured that the benefit will outweigh any side effects. And I'm incredibly lucky to have a strong constitution, and the worst effects I have giving up AL (the numerous times I have done it!) are irritability and headaches and disrupted sleep. But I have never felt the need for meds to deal with withdrawals.

I had no idea until I read this thread that there were people feeling that they couldn't post on other threads because they were using meds, and I felt very sad about that.

I just reckon that whatever works, works .... nobody should feel apologetic about finding a pathway that helps them, even if it isn't conventional. (At this point I should confess that one of the points in my "sobriety plan" was promising my cat that I would feed her sober every morning and every evening. It worked for me. :H)

Red: AA doesn't work for lots of people and it didn't work for me. Actually I'm quite anti-AA, but I dont put it out there on MWO out of respect for people who find it helpful. But my experience is that the AA people who post on MWO are also very respectful. Sometimes I read the weekly AA thread and I always find pearls of wisdom. But mostly I stick to NDT for its silliness, and I always read the Daily Abstinence thread.

I'm really glad that meds are working for lots of people and I think that we need to understand a lot more about the range of methods that people use to get and maintain sobriety. So if anyone is feeling cautious about posting on other threads, I would suggest getting on out there! There is so much to be gained - particularly for those new people who are "stuck" and looking for some way out and who need a variety of solutions to choose from.
                          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Meds users MWO

Very good thread,
                            For me sharing & giving support to others here is also part of my recovery and i am for all ways of finding my way out,

Comment

Meds users MWO

red67;846423 wrote: Hi Tip, for me I have just started posting here (but been reading for a long time) and I do read the other threads. I just felt a little strange posting elsewhere because I am doing NAL and didn't know if the non med users would welcome someone who is using meds. I for sure need all the support I can get so I will definitely starting posting on the other threads. I know from other websites/forums that meds users are put down for not sticking with the AA way - I have done that twice but it just didn't work for me. So far the NAL is helping me and I truly believe it will be the "cure" for me - I am not looking to moderate, I can't wait to be absolutely free from AL. I have no desire to find a way to keep AL in my life. It really discourages me when I am lectured at the other sites I have been on - they think NAL users are just looking for a way to keep drinking. I truly believe there are many ways to quit drinking and one thing doesn't work for everyone. Thanks for sharing your concerns, I appreciate you reaching out to us med users.
                              Right on red67 But i can honestly say you dont get the AAers here preaching and discouraging others, Actually i found that some people in the meds where exactly like them strict AA folks with there way or no way point of view, hope to see you around red

Comment

Working...
                              X