The first test in the world of high-dose baclofen for alcohol dependence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was having aread on the french Baclofen forum and came across this on the opening page (I used google translate) Haven't seen it mentioned yet so thought I'd bring it up. Got it from Baclofene Looks exciting.

The first clinical trial of high dose of baclofen for treatment of alcohol dependence has been published in a medical journal (Ameisen O / R. de Baurepaire, Annales medico-psychological, January 2010). This test, which focused on 60 patients for whom conventional treatments had failed, demonstrating that high-dose baclofen suppresses alcohol dependence and consumption in 88% of these patients. The removal of alcohol dependence was described for the first time in the medical literature in 2004 by Prof. Ameisen that, based on animal models of addiction withdrawal, had managed to completely remove his own addiction to alcohol, self-administering high dose of baclofen. Since then, the abolition of alcohol dependence using high-dose baclofen, has been reproduced and published in the medical literature and in hundreds of patients in Europe and the United States. As in animals, baclofen is, in humans, the only drug for which the complete removal of pathological desire to consume alcohol is established. Other drugs, naltrexone (naltrexone) and its derivative nalmefene (Revex), acamprosate (acamprosate, Campral), topiramate (Epitomax) etc ... only suppress the urge. The link to the medical article is:

Suppression de la dépendance à l’alcool et de la consommation d’alcool par le baclofène à haute dose : un essai en ouvert - EM|consulte Suppression de la dépendance à l’alcool et de la consommation d’alcool par le baclofène à haute dose : un essai en ouvert - EM|consulte

The results show that three months of treatment, 88% of patients have completely stopped or significantly reduced their intake of alcohol and that most of them have become indifferent to the alcohol without effort. The doses of baclofen were required vary from one patient to another, ranging from 15mg/jour to 300mg/jour, with an average of 145mg/jour. Approximately two thirds of patients required a dose greater than that permitted 80mg / d.
    Started TSM 07/12 Pre TSM... 50-100 UK units

Drinking under control. Still shooting for abstinence.

Hi TM

Great research !

thanks for putting this up what good news lets hope this will further the course of baclofen.

BH x

Comment

No probs. This is really good to see. Hopefully this study is only the tip of the iceberg.

Comment

TM, thanks for compiling that. I was very interested in the avg mg, 145 (though I know everyone's experience is different). The 88% statistic gives me hope!

Comment

So nice to hear the research is getting out there. The numbers are a first for me too hoping4better. So was the claim that Bac REMOVES the craving, whereas Naltrexone only suppresses it. I suspect we will hear a roar of disagreement from the Naltrexone camp who believe in the craving extinction model. That said, I would like to see the science behind the BAC study and would be interested if they used TSM or just passed Naltrexone out each day regardless of the subjects drank or not. Likewise, I wonder if the trials lasted over 6 months, which seems to be about the amount of time it takes for Naltrexone extinction to occur. It could be a true case of apples to pears.

But IMHO, anything that works for you is the right way to go. Quick question: How many here at MWO who have become AF found success in the first approach/drug combination they tried? I went through so many "new plans" I could write a book!

Thanks for posting this tm1210.
          Henrietta

Comment

I'd take a guess and say they wern't talking about TSM when mentioning Naltrexone.

Comment

From what I'm reading from the french forum, Bac is getting BIG in France with alot of doctors knowing about it.

Comment

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...tml#post820715

Comment

I am just excited there are 2 successful medications out there for alcohol addiction. Makes me crazy the vast majority of alcoholics do not know - have NO clue - there is help beyond AA. I have friends...friends of friends, etc - who would SOOOOOOOOOO benefit from one of these methods....just wish I could pass it along openly w/o second thoughts...

Comment

I hope the momentum continues.

We have all discussed that the makers of Baclofen would not be interested in this because it is already a generic drug.

That is not entirely true. If they were to do alcoholism studies with Baclofen, get FDA approval, all they have to do is rename the drug for alcohol prescription.

I recall one of the allergy meds was done that way. They added a study for indoor allergies, renamed the drug and it is now back to being a non-generic prescription.

However, I am quite sure doctors would prescribe the generic one.

Back up to 80 mg/day and excited I now have the opportunity to go higher.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                    X