Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to try Baclofen

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking and reading at these boards for about six weeks. Today I decided to sign up and start posting. I'm a long time alcoholic and I want the insanity to stop. I'm a 47 year old female, married to a 49 year old who is my soul mate and long time drinking partner-- we both know the constant drinking can't go on forever- my fear is we won't have those fine golden years if we don't start to get healthy now.

I suppose I should save all that for a different section.

After reading LOTS of info here, I have ordered Dr. A's book and feel pretty confident I want to try the baclofen for cravings. To me alcoholism is ALL about the CRAVING or we wouldn't do it! Being somebody who suffers with a lot of anxiety doesn't help, but it is still about craving when it comes to alcohol. If baclofen works, it will be profound for me. I so want that.

So my question is for those of you that live in the US, where do you get your baclofen? I do not have a doctor I can go to for this, so I will have to find an online source.....

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to buy baclofen so I know it is the real thing, and I won't get in any legal trouble? Is it legal to order online?

I did see some posts where people got a script from Dr. Levine. Is he in the US and will he treat (call in an order/consult) over the phone (I am in Ohio) and if so how much does he charge and can I get some contact info?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some info, and I'm happy to finally register and get the ball rolling.

Chi

Wanting to try Baclofen

Wecome Chi

We all started off as lurkers! Glad you made the decision to give this site a try and to give yourself a fighting chance. For many of us it has changed our lives.

I've had great success with Baclofen. I encourage you to read Dr. A's book and continue to read this site, especially once you actually start to take Baclofen. There can be some side-effects, and understanding them will take you 90% of way toward successfully managing them.

Please read this thread as it will give you all the basics on ordering Bac. : https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ine-35483.html

From my own experience, I've ordered Bac from a couple of different sources, Rivers Pharmacy and Goldpharma. I found Rivers in Canada to be very expensive and I had a couple of delayed shipments because U.S. Customs held up the orders. A lot of us in the U.S. tend to buy drugs from Canada due to our own messed up healthcare system --don't get me started. I don't know for sure if this was a factor but I got tired of the BS. Since then I have been ordering my bac through Goldpharma. The quality is great, the price is low, and since all my shipments have come via Germany, I never have had a problem with customs or any other delay. It always takes less than 2 weeks to arrive. Knock wood! Also, from what I've read from others here, getting bad quality Bac doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Good luck Chi! I don't want to overwhelm you with advice but I'll keep an eye out for your posts. I'm excited for you.

Henrietta

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Default Post from Lusus Naturae
      I found this previous post from Lusus Naturae which is worth repeating and extract from:

I thought it would be helpful for others to have details about pricing and comparisons, so I compiled the following:

All prices are in US$, and shipping is to the US. That should make no differencce for 4rx, since their shipping costs are the same worldwide. It also makes no difference for Inhouse Pharmacy, since they charge nothing for shipping. It could make a difference for Goldpharma and River Pharmacy. [edit: after hearing from Murphy, I could be very wrong about this assumption. See the bottom of this post for info about ordering from other countries.]

All tabs are 10 mg.

Of the four, the best prices are around (note that the price per is all inclusive - all of the costs: pills, shipping, prescription):

1. Inhouse Pharmacy: 0.27 per tab first order, 0.25 per for subsequent orders.
      2. Goldpharma: 0.27 per tab.
      3. 4rx: 0.37 per tab first order, 0.31 per for subsequent orders (with the 20% extra pills deal).
      4. River Pharmacy, .84 per tab.

Info about shipments received:

* 4rx: first shipment, second shipment The brand received was Bacmax.
      * Goldpharma: entire shipment The brand received was Vioridon.
      * Inhouse Pharmacy: entire shipment The brand received was Bacmax.
      * River Pharmacy: Too expensive, haven't ordered there.

At this point, I've received orders from all three that I've ordered from. All passed through customs without problems, and they arrived 8 to 9 days after placing the orders. All baclofen from them is the real deal.

4rx:

4RX

Only accepts visa cards. Requires signature on delivery.

0.28 per tab for all quantities listed.

50 tabs (1x50): 14.00, shipping 16.50. Total cost: 30.50, .61 per.
      100 tabs (2x50): 28.00, shipping 16.50. Total cost: 44.50, .45 per.
      150 tabs (3x50): 42.00, shipping 18.75. Total cost: 60.75, .41 per.

100 tabs (1x100): 28.00, shipping 18.75. Total cost: 46.75, .47 per.
      200 tabs (2x100): 56.00, shipping 27.75. Total cost: 83.75, .42 per.

200 tabs (1x200): 56.00, shipping 22.75. Total cost: 74.75, .37 per.
      400 tabs (2x200): 112.00, shipping 34.75. Total cost: 146.75, .37 per.

Shipping prices are the same worldwide.

Returning customers have a choice of 10% off, or 20% more pills. Of course the 20% more is the better deal. Applying that to the best price it becomes:

480 tabs (2x200 + 80): 112.00, shipping 34.75. Total cost: 146.75, .31 per.

Goldpharma:

goldpharma

Accepts visa, visa electron, master card, diners club, amex, and jcb cards. Does not require signature on delivery.

Goldpharma seems to have a required prescription fee of 7.10 added to all orders.

50 tabs (1x50): 11.85, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 30.31, .61 per.
      100 tabs (2x50): 23.71, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 42.16, .42 per.
      150 tabs (3x50): 35.56, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 54.01, .36 per.
      200 tabs (4x50): 47.41, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 65.86, ..33 per.
      400 tabs (8x50): 94.82, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 113.28, .28 per.
      500 tabs (10x50): 118.53, prescription 7.10, shipping 11.36. Total cost: 136.98, .27 per.

Inhouse Pharmacy:

Inhouse Pharmacy

Accepts visa and mastercard. Requires signature on delivery.

No separate charge for shipping.

100 tabs 30.00, .30 per.
      200 tabs 59.00, .30 per.
      400 tabs 106.00, .27 per.

Note: UK customers may be requested by HM Customs to pay VAT for orders ?18 and over. Royal Mail will also charge a service fee of ?8 for collecting VAT. I'm guessing that this would also apply to other online pharmacies as well.

They also have a discount for returning customers, but I can't find details on the site. My first order had the discount applied, and it was 5.00 (for orders over 100.00). That brought the price down to .25 per (400 tabs for 101.00).

River Pharmacy:

https://www.riverpharmacy.com

Accepts VISA card online, mastercard only by phone. Requires signature on delivery.

90 (1x90) tabs 89.95, shipping 29.99. Total cost: 119.94, 1.33 per.
      120 (1x120) tabs 109.95, shipping 19.99. Total cost: 129.94, 1.08 per.
      180 (1x180) tabs 151.95, shipping 9.99. Total cost: 161.94, .90 per.
      360 (2x180) tabs 303.90, shipping 0.00. Total cost: 303.90, .84 per.

Ordering from countries other than the United States:
      Any and all info about ordering from other countries would be greatly appreciated. I'll add that info here.

Canada

4rx, River Pharmacy, and Inhouse Pharmacy don't deliver to Canada.

Goldpharma does deliver to Canada.

Murphy reported about Canada:
      River is based out of Canada but does not supply Canada. Go figure. In house does not deliver to Canada either.
      Goldpharm was $98 Canadian for 100 pills.

To put that in terms of USD (everything in this post is USD): $98 Canadian -> $90 US. The cost to the US for 100 pills is 42.16, including shipping and the prescription fee. Yes, I'd have to agree, Goldpharma is quite spendy there.

Ireland

Looks like customs is a problem from this post from lostagain.

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Thank you both so much. I'm going to order the baclofen tonight or tomorrow. I've been mentioning it to my husband, and he is on board but doesn't like the idea of taking medication. I don't either, but the thing is, we don't really have a choice in my mind... if we could have done it on our own that would have happened already, lord knows we have tried. He knows the situation is dire (how normal is it for a couple to drink almost a case of beer a day!) so he is willing to try baclofen and is trusting I've done some research... and I have! I'm nervous, but I will follow Dr. A's schedule and see what happens. It's kind of ironic that I worry about what X amount of baclafen will do to my body but I think nothing of drinking a 12 pack per day.... for years. Go figure.

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

My wife started on 30mg per day (3 x 10) and over 9 weeks has reached 90mg

She is also using Antabuse (on doctors suggestion) to keep her stable and has been AF for 3 weeks now.

All the very best

CeeGee

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

I started at 15mg a day I am now @ 30mg I'm going up slowly but I will say since I started I've had more AL free nights then I have had in a long time with any effort. A few minor SE but nothing I can't handle. Yes Dr Levin will help he is in the USA (Chicago)
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

What does Dr. Levin do?
              Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
              That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
              Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
              Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Dr. Levin is a psychiatrist, neuroscientist, and a professor of medicine at Northwestern U. and a very overall nice guy.

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Baclofen as a medication

Chi;855282 wrote: I've been mentioning it to my husband, and he is on board but doesn't like the idea of taking medication. I don't either, but the thing is, we don't really have a choice in my mind... .
                  I'm planning to start a new thread on this one time soon, but I will say it here, as I have said it before:

Baclofen is an agonist -- which means (from my limited research and understanding) that it mimics the action of a naturally occurring substance in the human body. It seems to me that baclofen for alcoholics is like insulin for diabetics. There is something missing in an alcoholic's physiology, and baclofen provides that natural element, albeit in a chemically devised form.

I have hypothyroidism. My body needs thyroxine to make up for my thyroid's inability to produce this vital natural substance itself. I will take it every day of my life, because I have to, and it is taking the place of what my body naturally would be doing if I were not plagued by this disease.

It so happens that you can get the thyroxine completely naturally (from pigs' thyroids). Many people prefer this option, because they perceive it as more "natural" and believe it is more effective.

I imagine (although I don't know) that it would be possible to extract baclofen from cows or pigs or horses. I don't know if it is possible or if it is being done. Either way, I prefer the artificial version for ethical reasons.

I believe most vitamins used these days are similar, in that they are not "natural", but "chemical" -- made in a laboratory to mimic the real thing and make up for (supplement) missing elemnts in one's diet and lifestyle.

Please disagree with me and show me where I have take a wrong turn. Sometimes I need to be put in my place ;-)
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

corkit;856441 wrote: Dr. Levin is a psychiatrist, neuroscientist, and a professor of medicine at Northwestern U. and a very overall nice guy.
                    Thanks, Corkit. I was more wanting to know why he is mentioned - does he prescribe for people who aren't in Chicago? Charge a telephone consult fee? What is it that he does that he is mentioned here? (Besides being really smart and educated)
                    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

PhoenixRising, go to these threads, read through and then you can make your decision.

Dr. Fred Levin colleague of Dr. Ameisen (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
                      and try this as well
                      Has anyone tried to contact and heard back from Dr Levin

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Okay so I was lucky enough to get a supply of baclafen from a friend of mine and it is enough for me and my husband to get started as they are 20 mg pills, and I also ordered more online from goldpharma. I have to admit I felt a little nervous ordering meds online but after all the reading here I went for it, and I'll post about my experience with goldpharma.

Today is our first day, so this morning we each took 5 mg. (1/4 pill). So far I don't feel anything, later this afternoon I plan to take another 5 and then this eve the last 5 for the day.

So the journey back to sanity begins.

I really, really hope the baclofen will work for us. Has anybody else done this with their spouse or SO? Just curious because I think this would be a lot more difficult for me if my husband didn't want to change his drinking also. Although I would have done it anyway... I so want a life that isn't dominated by booze.

I find it very interesting how this drug baclofen has helped so many people. That tells me there really is a predisposing factor somehow related to the GABA system. I don't know why more doctors aren't all over this..... perhaps in a few years they will be. I didn't get Dr. A's book yet but I am really looking forward to reading it and all he has to say. Amazon was out of it so I had to use one of their merchants, I hope to get it sometime next week.

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Chi,
                          So glad to hear you are going for it! You wont be dissappointed. Bac really works. I believe Corkit is doing it with her husband but havent heard any updates... As far as going it alone? I am not sure but I know the affect that bac had on me made it so it wouldnt matter how much AL was around, I didnt want it.
                          Keep posting and congratualtions!

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Thanks R2R.... I'm glad that bac worked for you. How much before you had the switch? How much do you take daily now?

Now that I've made the decision to use bac I want to know as many first hand accounts as possible, and I will also post about mine.

By the way, did you (or anyone else reading) drink while going up on the baclofen?

I'm not trying to go AF just yet.... my cravings are too intense. I'm hoping having bac in my system will reduce my drinking at this early stage.... feel kind of lame saying that but I also want to be honest. Eventually I want to be AF and stay that way for as long as it takes to make a sane plan about drinking in moderation, knowing that may never be possible.

Comment

Wanting to try Baclofen

Chi,

There is a thread called the Baclofen Dosage Poll where people have been posting about their switch dosage.

Good luck with Baclofen. Some people are put off by the side-effects. I suffer from them but am willing to put up with them because the side-effect of drinking alcohol is very often death.

:welcome:

I am glad you found us!!

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X