Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax-Going on, off, and On Again?

Hello,

My name is Saundra and I went on the Topamax schedule as outlined in the book about 3 years ago and it worked very well for me. I was on it for about a year and a half and my husband suggested I try to go off of it to see if I could keep from drinking without it. Well...I went off of it and gradually over several months I was drinking the same amount I was before starting the Topomax. Almost a year ago, I tried it again but did not titrate up like the book said...I just started at 100mg per day. Needless to say, it didn't work like it did the first time I took it.

My question is...since I haven't taken it for almost a year now...I would like to start taking it again as I am drinking 2 bottles of wine every day. Do you think it will work for me this time if I titrate up? Has Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Saundra

I'm sorry but I really don't know the answer. I'm trying to bump this up so that maybe someone will see it & answer your question for you.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

thank you guys!!!

Comment

Stella I have quit drinking several times with the help of Topa. 4 months seemed to be all I could achieve until I went back to drinking. However this time I was determined to quit for good. The fourth attempt. I am AF over 8 months and haven't taken the topa for the last three of it. I seem to tolerate it without titerating up. Can go up to 100mg a day immediately. However I cannot drink on it or it doesn't work. I just drink over it. I am sure you know it is not a magic bullet. I would give it another go but maybe you have to increase the dosage as you go. Everyone is different when it comes to medication. Hope that helps. PM me if I can be of any help.

Comment

Stella - I am still a baby on it so will be interested to see how you do on it - I have only been on it for nearly 6 months and have an appt with my doc at the end of this month - I am sure that he will suggest that I think about titrating down and I really don't want to yet!!

When you started it at 100mg a day - what happened with it. You said that it didn't work the way it did the first time. Do you go through a doc or do you get yours online?

Let us know what happens - there are others here who have wanted to know if anyone has taken it for any length of time.

Sunshinedaisies
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

hi sunshinedaisies,

i had some 100mg left over from when i stopped taking it and it was from a prescription. if it's working for you depending on how bad off you were...i would be a bit scared to start titrating down until you've been on it at least a year...that's just my experience.

thanks,

saundra

Comment

Thanks Stellar - must admit, I do feel a tad worried about starting to titrate down as yet - I don't feel ready to at all. I am comfortable with it, feel really good on it and don't see why I should come down off of it yet. I will talk with my doc on Weds (I think) - might be the week after - the 26th anyway!

Thanks

Sunshinedaisies
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

There's no medical reason to come off of it unless it's not agreeing with you - the drug is used by people who have seizures & some of those folks stay on it for life with no problem. If it's working, it sure beats the alternative - drinking yourself to death . . . .
                If you're not ready, simply tell your doctor that you're not comfortable yet. No reason why they shouldn't be thrilled about your success.

Comment

Working...
                X