Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If these meds/supps work why do we still have a drink problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I don't know if this question has occurred to anyone else, but if the medication and supplements really do have a positive affect in 'curing' alcohol addiction, why isn't every alcoholic taking them?
    If it's that easy why do Rehab Clinics and AA still have so many members/patients.
    I'm guessing the answer to my question still goes back to a certain amount of willpower and the willingness to change.... the meds probably help but at the end of the day a person needs to help themselves.
    Please do not think I'm being negative in posting this, but I'm feeling really down with myself as I've been dipping in and out of the forum and did start taking the meds/supps and found they helped for a couple of days but as soon as I had a glass of wine that was it I carried on until the bottle was gone!
    I guess I was looking for a magic solution in the topamax and other supplements but as everyone who posts here can confirm it's a daily battle and we all have to work hard to conquer.
    I'm going to start again today - trying to be focused and upbeat about the journey I'm about to take....will log in every day for support and guidance as this site really does help.
    Thanks wish me luck AGAIN:upset:

Non of the meds are a cure. The only cure is to take control of your life, make sobriety your number 1 priority and do it. Medications will never sort out your thought processes, but they can help take some of the craving away.

I tried one or two meds at certain points, meditation too but in the end I'm not using anything more than a little L-Glut which may or may not assist with the cravings......this is because I didn't want to substitute one drug reliance for another and knew I needed to sort my head out so I could live again.

Has to come from within.

Comment

Grange,
      Its true that there is no real cure. It is a life long disease that can come back at anytime if we are not careful. I do believe that there are meds tho that do alter the brain's way of looking at alcohol. Baclofen for instance has totally change my thoughts on alcohol. I went from thinking about drinking from the time I got up in the morning until I blacked out at night to never wanting another drop of it. It's true, it took a little will power in the beginning but I would say for me that it is not a lifelong struggle anymore. I havent had to fight urges at all since started baclofen.
      Why isnt everyone taking these "miracle" drugs? Not everyone knows about them. People have this misconception that they are trading one drug for another but baclofen will not kill you like alcohol. People do not want their insurance companies to know they are being treated for alcohol abuse - so it's better to keep killing yourself? Doctors have not seen the success on them so when asked about it, they are reluctant to give you something that they no nothing about.
      My opinion and I am passionate about this subject.

Comment

That's the million dollar question. I do believe that Bac will become more mainstream in the future. The kicker is living without the buzz. I went from smoking MJ in my 20's to alcohol in my 30's, 40's and 50's. My problem with letting go of alcohol is I really enjoy the buzz. So, I have to learn to live, I have to be reborn from ashes like the Phoenix and learn to be a real person like so many others seem to be, and live without a crutch. It's tough. I really have never done it. Ever. Once I hit the switch with Bac and then taper down will be the real test for me, because I do get a bit of a buzz off of the Bac. How did I ever get into this situation, and how did it last a lifetime for me? I wish I had the answer, because then I'd be able to heal myself. Ah, yeah, cry me a river, blah blah blah. Hugs to you.

-P.
        Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
        That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
        Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
        Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Remember that baclofen is an agonist (it mimics) a natural substance that all mammals produce. It is a medication (or "drug") because it is synthesized and does not come directly from natural sources. Most supplements (vitamins, minerals, etc.) are also synthetic versions of what is found in nature.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

PhoenixRising;867910 wrote: That's the million dollar question. I do believe that Bac will become more mainstream in the future. The kicker is living without the buzz. I went from smoking MJ in my 20's to alcohol in my 30's, 40's and 50's. My problem with letting go of alcohol is I really enjoy the buzz. So, I have to learn to live, I have to be reborn from ashes like the Phoenix and learn to be a real person like so many others seem to be, and live without a crutch. It's tough. I really have never done it. Ever. Once I hit the switch with Bac and then taper down will be the real test for me, because I do get a bit of a buzz off of the Bac. How did I ever get into this situation, and how did it last a lifetime for me? I wish I had the answer, because then I'd be able to heal myself. Ah, yeah, cry me a river, blah blah blah. Hugs to you.

-P.
            I think this is a really interesting point. For me, getting the AL out of the picture was only the start. I was 50 when I quit drinking and I drank heavily since I was 17 or so. I never really learned how to deal with life without AL to hide behind. Don't get me wrong - dealing with the cravings was a bitch in the early days. But there has been so much more rebuilding to do. And no pill can do that part for me. (I have no issue with using meds to stop drinking - only expressing a question about the other part of recovery beyond just the craving part...how I used alcohol to avoid life)

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My thoughts are mixed on this.

It is chemical that is the cause and effect.
              To some, it is a chemical that is the cause and effect for relief.

This is a horrid disorder that hit me hard in mid stream of life with no history.
              It is my enemy and I will take up whatever weapons to fight this battle.

I thank the glorious heavens for this place and people like you. I would be an image to not behold if not for this means of reasoning.

We are sane, we are lovable and as far as a cure. . . why not? This has all the components of a disease.
              Yet, until then, I know from my own experience that this substance is an enemy to my state of being.

I remain a fool, yet not in my folly. It is not pleasure. It is punishment, always.
              One day without and I dream from my imaginations purest potential and hear sounds and take in sights that were gray prior.

Remaining with you in the fight~
              :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

you need to remember also that the meds ( especially) are not able to be patented and thus no huge sums of money made from them are possible. I spoke to my local alcohol crisis and they told me they are trying to get approval for baclofen and naltrexone but has not gone through yet...seems to take a while like any beaucracy (spp). Therefore, they cannot prescribe either at any level....Keep trying!
                :notes:
                Lion

Comment

The biggest problem that I have with alcohol now is that I don't drink enough of it. And no, I'm not joking.
                  :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                  :what?:
                  sigpic
                  Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                  A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

Doggygirl;868466 wrote: I think this is a really interesting point. For me, getting the AL out of the picture was only the start. I was 50 when I quit drinking and I drank heavily since I was 17 or so. I never really learned how to deal with life without AL to hide behind. Don't get me wrong - dealing with the cravings was a bitch in the early days. But there has been so much more rebuilding to do. And no pill can do that part for me. (I have no issue with using meds to stop drinking - only expressing a question about the other part of recovery beyond just the craving part...how I used alcohol to avoid life)

DG
                    DG

This is such a good quote from you. Unfortunately many see AL as the 'problem' when the problem lies within. We've used AL to avoid things because we weren't sure how to deal with them - or to make ourselves feel better, forget etc etc. There will NEVER be a medication that teaches us to live. You can take all the pills in the world but you still need to look within if you are going to beat addiction. One reason I didn't want to use Meds - I know I'd get obsessive and then use it as an excuse to drink if say I ran out or forgot to take a dose. Yes I've done this with Campral - got in a strop because I forgot to take it and blamed it all on someone else. Guess what?I drank the next day as a result of the headfck. With Topa I didn't like the sides - I don't see the point in swapping AL physical effects for another bunch of effects.

I just want to feel human again.

I'm not knocking medication but we have to get real at some point. These days we are so used to quick-fix pill-for-this/pill-for-that, plastic surgery, veneers. You name it it's all a cover up and worryingly putting more and more pressure on people to be perfect, or do harmful things to themselves.

Rant over.

Ps having a craving at the moment hence the rant but hopefully will pass.

Comment

You rant as much as you want if it helps.

I have been really complacent recently as I havent had a craving since the last time I got AF at the beginning of the month. But yesterday I got stressed at work and all of a sudden started thinking about going to the offie after.

Sooooo glad I managed to fight it. Luckily I had a big 500g bag of L-Glut on hand.
                      It was a close one :hitme:
                      --
                      Not AF yet....but working on it :no:
                      http://davediaryofanalcoholic.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doggygirl & UKblond

Talk about getting to the heart of the matter. And your comment UK: There will NEVER be a medication that teaches us to live. If ever there was a sentence to sum up my post-Bac experience, you nailed it. I hit my switch in early February, and if you?ve happened to come across any of my posts since then you?ll know that that I am one of those true Bac believers. Given the trajectory that my life was on with drinking, I am certain I wouldn?t have made more it than another year or so. Bac did save my life.

But after having gone through one of the hardest battles I?ve ever faced, I also realized that AL wasn?t the true culprit. I was the problem all along. I just used AL as a weapon to effectively destroy myself. So at the end of the day, you can use Bac, or Naltrexone, or whatever works to stop drinking, but you?re still left with yourself and that tendency toward self-sabotage.

Sometimes I just shake my head. Where in the f*ck did all this come from? I didn?t have a miserable past. I can point out some things ?-but can?t we all?

I was very down about this a couple of weeks ago. All I could see was, here I am at 50 and I have never learned how to deal with life without AL, as you put it so well Doggygirl.

But here?s the thing: medication can?t teach us to how live, but medication or not, I was
                        able to stop drinking. That is something. I know I?ll never have one of those sunny, 'can do' personalities, and maybe I?ll always be my worst enemy. But if I could deal with something as formidable as AL, can any of the problems that come after that really be much worse? I don?t think so. AL was truly a monster bitch for me.

So my mission these days is to concentrate on the other things. I?m running every other day (OK, running 5 minutes, walking 5, running 5, walking 5?). I also went to a new GP to deal with this underlying sadness and isolation I?ve always felt. Small starts.

So no, I don?t feel like it?s a new day and I?m bounding happily into the rest of my life. That is what I expected post-AL and I was very disappointed. Now I just feel like screw this, I?m not going to beat AL and then curl up and die because not everything has fallen into place.

So thanks for your posts Doggygirl & UKblond. Oh, and if you don?t mind me asking UKblond? is that a picture of a young Sylvia Plath you're using? If so, something tells me you?re not one of those sunny types either! :H

Henrietta

Comment

Henrietta

Ummm I need to look up Sylvia - I just chose a picture that I thought best 'represented' myself.

Sunny type?Well I was brought up to just get on with things. I was a very serious person, can still be however since going AF I am laughing much more and very keen on getting out and DOING stuff now this wonderful life has opened up for me.

I've been seeing a counsellor/psychotherapist throughout this. Now I'm no AAer(have tried it many times) but their programme is all about changing yourself and learning to live - AL is but 1 step in 12 and I've been doing pretty much the same with my counsellor, just in a way that fits with me. Just discovered recently why it is that I didn't like AA. The truth is I was horribly bullied throughout school and many times in my adult life - it's affected me quite deeply and the result is I don't trust groups.. So yes it's about sorting yourself out inside for sure.

Comment

If one can get through life without medicine, I think that is great. UK said "These days we are so used to quick-fix pill-for-this/pill-for-that". I am sorry if I chose to take baclofen to make me stop drinking as quickly and easily as possible. I dont think there is anything wrong with people wanting help with easing pain. I dont believe you are "swapping AL physical effects for another bunch of effects". Alcohol will kill you - Baclofen will not.
                            Also, I can somewhat agree with the statement that we some times need to deal with the underlying issue but here is a story from my past where I dont believe that staement always applies.
                            I was 20 years old, average guy, like to party with my friends, only drank with my friends in a social setting. One weekend, one of my friends and another firend (whom I get together with every weekend) were at my friends work, they worked on a fish farm. It was time to go feed the fish and one friend said "i am just going to stay here", so my other friend went out to feed the fish. when he came back, he found my other firend had shot himself in the chest. This upset me but like most, u sort of file where ever in your brain and move on. a few weeks later, I was at my sisters on th eweekend and she and her husband were going out and I was staying behind because all of my friends were coming over, as usual. As my sister was leaving she casually and jokingly said "dont kill yourself" SNAP! something in my head just snapped. All of a sudden my every thought was about me killing myself. I could not eat, I didnt want to pay my bills because I wasnt going to be around long enough to bother. I was suicidal and that was my only thought. I had to ask her to take the guns out of the house because i could not trust myself. Luckily, I went to my mother and she drove me to the hospital and they put me on a anti depressant. After a couple of months, I started to feel like my old self. So much in fact that I felt I didnt need the drug anymore so I went off them. About two months later, I slipped into depression again and had to get the anti depressant to get my mind back. The dr told me - its not in your control, u have a chemical imbalance, the drug fixes the imbalance. The depression did not gradually come on, something just snapped. Drugs have their purpose and save lives. Let's not forget that. I will never stop taking the anti depressant, I never want to feel that hopeless again.

Comment

Ukblonde;867878 wrote: Non of the meds are a cure. The only cure is to take control of your life, make sobriety your number 1 priority and do it. Medications will never sort out your thought processes, but they can help take some of the craving away.

I tried one or two meds at certain points, meditation too but in the end I'm not using anything more than a little L-Glut which may or may not assist with the cravings......this is because I didn't want to substitute one drug reliance for another and knew I needed to sort my head out so I could live again.

Has to come from within.
                              I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and thoughts on meds and find different opinions interesting, but I also think if someone is to make such a statement (in the meds section) as the post above it might be helpful to also state that "this is only an opinion?"

I think that statements such as this one could put people of even trying meds because basically this post is saying that meds can help, marginally, to a degree, but not very much. To be able to stop drinking has to come from within/yourself/thought processes.

The poster doesn't say how she/he is qualified to make such a blanket concrete statement.

I appreciate that everyone has a right to an opinion, but I would like to see it stated that it is only one person's opinion.
                              If I had come to the med forum and read that post first I probably would have quickly left the forum, thinking it was not the type of forum I was looking for, instead of reading all the hundreds of posts that I did read about how different meds were saving lives and sanity.

Those posts gave me hope and a direction and I now believe a normal life is in reach for me too, thanks to the meds available and to the people who have shared their experiences in detail.

Perhaps these opinions also should be voiced away from the meds section? Meds are saving hundreds of lives without added councelling, AA or other support groups.

I think soul searching and examining thought processes is done by every single person as we grow / get older, it is not something only alcoholics need to do, it is a normal part of our development to grow as human beings.

My answer to the original question posed in this thread, i.e 'Why do rehabs still exist if meds work' is too long to go into here in detail. Rehabs are a multi-million or billion? dollar business, why would they tell you to go away and take some pills?

Can you imagine the money they would lose? A whole industry would be defunct.

Also I think it is very interesting that if you look back at the old posts on this forum (that has been going for about 5 years I think, there is an older forum of you do a search) the only med mentioned was topamax, because the owner of the forum had good success with it, the other meds weren't hardly mentioned until about the end of 2008.

If there has been so much progress with meds in just 18 months, that it is not unusual to read articles on baclofen or naltrexone in national newspapers, I wonder how the situation will look in another 18 months - maybe lots of traditional and extortionately expensive rehabs will close.

Another thing I would like to mention is Rehab has normally only been available to people with money or those who are considered a danger to themselves or others. Most of us don't fall into either category, at least not in the eyes of the authorities and have been left to battle on alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X