Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If these meds/supps work why do we still have a drink problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Angel;871999 wrote: I do not believe that EVERYONE has an underlying problem to deal with, maybe some.
    Thank you. All of my problems began and ended with alcohol.
    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
    :what?:
    sigpic
    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
    A Forum
    Trolls need not apply

Comment

jeez OTW I thought UKblonde's avatar WAS Slyvia Plath...hmmm UKB?
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Yes it is. We won't require any DNA
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

I didn't know who Sylvia Plath was until she was mentioned here. I just chose a pic from the selection offered, one that I thought looked a little like me. Fate?Irony?Not sure. All I know is that I definitely want to live and becoming AL free i.e. stopping has now allowed me to find out just what has been affecting me so much all these years. Think I posted in the past that I wasn't 'traumatised', hadn't been abused nor had anything 'bad' happen to me. Turns out something I thought was normal isn't.

If I hadn't gotten AL free I would never have been able to do all of this. Scary journey but liberating all the same.

I read a little on Sylvia since it's been brought up and obviously she was in torment herself. Perhaps I could use her image in rememberance?Or is that very odd?

Off topic now so on with the thread.

Comment

I read a little on Sylvia since it's been brought up and obviously she was in torment herself. Perhaps I could use her image in rememberance?Or is that very odd?

No UKblonde NOT odd at all. I love it...john

Comment

Pink Angel;871999 wrote: Thank you Beatle!! YES it is a disease. And when in the depths of depression you do not have the ABILITY to 'look inside yourself' or change your thought patterns with CBT. You simply are lucky if you manage to ask for help without suicide. The drugs WILL help with the disease and give you the mental ability to look at other aspects.
              I do not believe that EVERYONE has an underlying problem to deal with, maybe some. I believe some of us became alcoholics simply because we enjoyed drinking and the feeling of being drunk and became addicted to it like many other things.
              However, arguing about it or trashing one anothers beliefs is detrimental. We are all here for the same reason surely we can agree on that.
              Precisely. I think many alcoholics have underlying problems to deal with BECAUSE they have alcohol problems.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Pink Angel;871999 wrote: Thank you Beatle!! YES it is a disease. And when in the depths of depression you do not have the ABILITY to 'look inside yourself' or change your thought patterns with CBT. You simply are lucky if you manage to ask for help without suicide. The drugs WILL help with the disease and give you the mental ability to look at other aspects.
                I do not believe that EVERYONE has an underlying problem to deal with, maybe some. I believe some of us became alcoholics simply because we enjoyed drinking and the feeling of being drunk and became addicted to it like many other things.

OnTheWagon;874312 wrote:

And how may of us truly have anxiety/panic issues? I have read different articles that claim that somewhere around 70% of people with TRUE anxiety/panic disorder will become alcoholic. So then the circular argument begins again...are we simply self-medicating an under studied, little understood problem? And I know I'll get trashed on this board for saying it, but the ONLY thing known to work on severe anxiety/panic is benzo's (alcohol in a pill.) My doc told me he does not even attempt CBT on boozing until someone is stablized on benzodiazepines. They (docs) are also scared to death of being sued for giving an "alcoholic" an addictive drug, even though they know we'll just go buy another quart of vodka anyhow if they don't write us a script.

We NEED to start having this discussion in the country concerning drug/alcohol abuse. And the folks like us are the experts "they" should be coming to for advice.
                I believe the main "issue" I had was anxiety. I hid my deep anxiety because I thought something was wrong me me... I wasn't trying enough, I was oversensitive, I was a coward, I was lazy, I didn't try hard enough, I wasn't smart enough, etc. I cut myself off from people because I couldn't function with people except for on a one-on-one basis, and only with somebody I already knew and trusted. I hid my anxiety by avoiding all social events and avoiding getting to get to know anyone new.

I went to a bar for the first time with my new boyfriend (my FIRST boyfriend, at 19 years old) he pressed me to drink (I had never had an alcoholic drink before) I think he suspected my cold veneer would melt a little if I drank a little, and he was determined so he bought me a drink -- it was sweet and tasted good and I drank the whole thing quickly. And it relaxed me, and I found myself talking to some of his friends with ease... you can see where this took me.

It wasn't long until found that alcohol helped me deal with my other anxieties (and there were plenty... people often remarked that I seemed nervous-- I wanted to answer this isn't nervous, this is who I am). Alcohol was especially effective for panic attacks, which I had somehow hidden from everyone because I felt I was so incredibly abnormal.

So, in effect, anxiety was my underlying issue, but I didn't dare expose my "character flaw" that was crippling my life. Alcohol solved my "character flaw" for a at least 15 years, as it slowly but insidiously crept in to take over my life, and became my new "character flaw".
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Going out drinking made me feel like I belonged and fitted in. Over the years I got so used to it my awkwardness just got worse as I was simply avoiding being "me" as I thought "me" was the drinking person.

Comment

This is a great thread. I think that meds are only part of the story. We are heavily evolved. ( some can argue not at all), but that aside we are complex beings with complex and different brains from each other. Even if we take a med there are a myriad of factors to deal with everyday with regards to our internal chemistry not to mention our emotional waves. A great description of how our emotions flood us with different chemicals is in the video "Down the Rabbit hole". Often a med or even different foods cause all kinds of reactions in the brain so we are little pharmacies ourselves. Hence the difference. I do not know the answers but I know we only scratch the surface right now.

Comment

OnTheWagon;876015 wrote:
                      [COLOR=Purple](This is what perplexes me so much about Dr. Ameisen's theory. I think he is "this close" to figuring out the problem, but I also think the drug he has chosen will beat all of us even more than alcohol has in the end.)
                      Have you read the book?

Amazon.com: The End of My Addiction (9780374140977): Olivier Ameisen M.D.: Books

Have you read the consolidated baclofen information thread?

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html

These might clear things up for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X