Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baclofen against Anxiety and not mainly alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read up on some stuff, and found out that alcohol is very often used as remedy against anxiety. My guess is that the craving that is felt is a direct shortlink of the subconscious understanding that alcohol is the immediate help against the anxiety.

So without us knowing why we do it, we get this craving, telling us to drink - although we do not even understand why!

So that is where Baclofen hooks in - some critics say, that doctors already use Baclofen (off-label) against anxiety - and for the cases that have alcohol problems, the problems with alcohol are resolved that way (no anxiety - no craving - no urge to drink).

I have dosed down from 300mg to 37.5mg and had no cravings with the low dose! The problem I had with the low dose was that I had a lot of anxiety (existential worries, general anxiety, fear of change) - until a moment where I was thinking to drink to get the feeling away. This made me look deeper into this link Baclofen-Anxiety.
    I am back to 75mg now, and I am feeling great - cotton feeling, my anxiety is gone, I can think normal and clear again. AF for 134 days.

Could it be that my body dissolved the craving feeling shortcut and demonstrates me the real problem anxiety - instead of forcing the "solution" (alcohol craving) ??

This is a very interesting finding!
    since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
    since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
    reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
    since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
    since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
    http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Interesting craving. I do not take bac. I take topa. However, I think many of us self medicate with alcohol in an attempt to deal with underlying psychological issues. For me, anxiety and depression. Problem in my case is this is the first time I've allowed the prescribed meds to work. Alcohol was always interfering with the meds ability to treat my condition. I'm happy for you that you have had such success with bac.
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

there is some evidence that the brains of people prone to alcohol abuse are wired in some subtly different ways from those who do not
      We seem to be more likely to be creative, impulsive, and have anxiety. Even before we drink!
      Interesting stuff

Comment

Very interesting!

I did not know that Topamax is used for Anxiety treatment too. I searched on the web and found references to that.

Yes it seems something is wired different into our brains - which is the reason why we start to selfmedicate ourselves.

I agree. Alcohol is interfering with any treatment. If you can get rid of it, you can get the help you really need. But first we need to figure out what is wrong with us, to then effectively threat our problems.

My stats :

Comment

I don't really think there is anything "wrong" with my brain. It is a normal variant. Everyone has their strengths and limitations. I just think I am prone to addiction. I also have a lot of creativity.The 2 traits may come from the same "wiring". It is OK, now that I know that. I choose not to drink because my life becomes very small when I do. I am now out of that very small and shrinking jail cell.
          Don't know what I'd need to work on except to stay abstinent.

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;871306 wrote: I don't really think there is anything "wrong" with my brain. It is a normal variant. Everyone has their strengths and limitations. I just think I am prone to addiction. I also have a lot of creativity.The 2 traits may come from the same "wiring". It is OK, now that I know that. I choose not to drink because my life becomes very small when I do. I am now out of that very small and shrinking jail cell.
            Don't know what I'd need to work on except to stay abstinent.
            I don't believe my brain is within a "normal variant", and I envy those who do have brains in that range. I guess there must be something "wrong" with my brain.

I may choose to not drink every day of my life, but that choice won't change my brain.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

OnTheWagon;871429 wrote:
              Here are my thoughts... I have aways believed we are victims of an anxiety/panic/sleep disorder that since the dawn of time has gone undiagnosed. We all discovered at an early age the booze would "cure" this problem.

Let's be honest. For a time, it did.

And then came twelve stepping, blah, blah, blah,. Do not get me started. It made everything worse.

I used benzo's for a couple of month's and I truly believe they are the only reason I am still sober today.

All I know is that it is very tough for a sober person to come to this site when there are so many people who have no will to fight.

Just read through the posts. Nothing but unhealthy introspection and excuses.
              I completely agree with the first 3 paras of this post.

"Let's be honest. For a time, it did." Spot on. That's what put us where we are.

But for many of us, who have tried everything (and often achieved long periods of sobriety), medications provide the last hope for achieving lasting sobriety.

I'm surprised that you perceive the people on this site as having no will to fight. I have perceived it to be exactly the opposite.

Most of the people on this forum have been fighting for years. They wouldn't be here if they didn't have an extraordinary will to fight.

We may indeed be inclined towards introspection in certain threads. It's a part of sharing our thoughts and feelings, and getting and giving support.

My experience is that the non-personal information shared here is equally invaluable, and also expresses an extraordinary will to fight..
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

On another thread, Otter wrote:

"I don't think this community is about "debating" at all. I have for the first time seen alcoholism in a positive light. I have found in these posts real help and encouragement which I have not had from any quarter for the past 6 years of almost unendurable agony. My little boy, I hope, can look forward to having a happy relationship with a mother who can contribute to his life and not be a curse upon it. The human spirit is alive in these pages..."

Comment

Everyone can take the pieces that are important for them out of a forum.

My psychiatrist also offered me benzo, but I am highly concerned of the addiction potential. I have read posts saying that they rather go cold turkey off morphine(heroine) than off benzo. Another post said that a doctor denied giving benzo, as the addiction benzos can create are way worse than the alcohol addictions.

Baclofen works on the GABA system as Benzos

GABA-A : fast acting - high addictive - short term treatment - Benzo
                  GABA-B : slow acting - not addictive - long term treatment - Baclofen

I would rather go for Baclofen than for Benzos in the treatment of anxiety. Both work on the calming GABA system.

I also thought about talking more to my psychiatrist regarding the anxiety. But I read that combining Baclofen with antidepressives reduced the effect of Baclofen ... Beside the fact that I do not want to take any antidepressives anymore. I am totally fine, my feelings are ok - just the anxiety needs to be dealt with. And for the moment Baclofen is doing that.

My stats :

Comment

I was on 300mg Bupropion for 3 years and quit cold turkey, then they switched me to Venlafaxin, and quit cold turkey. No problems with that.

What designer drugs are you referring to?

I did not know that Xanax XR exist! This sounds very interesting. Xanax is extremely powerful - too powerful, and needs to be put on a leash so it can be taken daily. The XR sounds like an excellent idea!

Try being on Baclofen 60-75mg / day for 4 weeks, and you will feel the anti anxiety effect. It does not work like Xanax instantly. Also if you take Benzos, then Baclofen can increase the effect of Xanax.

My stats :

Comment

XANAX XR® Official Site-Considering XANAX XR for the Treatment of Panic Disorder
                      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

OTW - I too suffer with panic disorder (in the family) and was first treated with atavan. This worked nicely for me. I relocated and my new doctor suggested I try an SSRI to get off the atavan. I did, and I'm still taking 20mg of lexapro daily. I'm am going to ask my doctor about the xanax xr. Your thoughts and I welcome others as well.

Comment

Thanks OTW very kind. I'll let you know the outcome of the consult with my doctor.

Comment

OnTheWagon;871779 wrote: You're right. I should have prefaced that I wasn't referring to the Meds thread. I love the folks who post here. They are fighters and pioneers.

I was referring to a few other parts of this board that I've learned not to venture to. I guess I shouldn't have brought this up and don't think it will be helpful on this board.
                            That's good to know. I was a bit baffled.

I have had some ups and downs on the General Discussion forum, although I wouldn't assess them quite as harshly as you. But I understand your feeling.

I think the people on the meds forum are more focussed, at least on finding their own way out -- and most are very experienced with all the different possibilities, and perhaps better informed (?).

As I said in a previous post -- it's a volatile lot over there in Genera Disc

Comment

who said they didn't love you? :happyheart:

Comment

Working...
                              X