Dosing up on bac-- what's dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice on how much is too much to titrate up at a time?

I know that Lo0p and a number of others here went up extremely quickly, without problems.

I also know there are some who had terrible SEs from titrating up too quickly.

I recall that some members reported overdosing. Birdy, for example.

How much might be dangerous?

I am at 140mg/day. It has taken me 10 months to get here. (I weigh 48kg).

I have to take my doses in 30mg because of the SEs. At 40mg doses I become manic.

I have taken 5x30mg doses today -- about 3 hours apart. (this is 10mg more than average for the past week). I have had only minimal SEs today. I would like to take 30mg more now (20:20 -- it is 3 hours since last dose, at 17:15) and maybe another 30mg before bed. This would mean 210mg today, from 140mg yesterday.

I am willing to deal with sleeplessness.

Does this sound dangerous?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Another question about dosing:

Does it matter that I can't take more than 30mg at a time? Do the doses have to increase in amount, or is it ok to keep at 30mg but just more often?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Hi Beatle,

I've been on BAC only for a few days and it's worked wonders for me and to answer your question as to whether to increase your dosage.....do you feel the dosage you're on right now is effective? Are you AF or have you decreased your AL intake significantly? If the dosage you're on now has made you AF without SEs, I guess I wouldn't increase it.

Comment

You know what I'd say...
        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
        :what?:
        sigpic
        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
        A Forum
        Trolls need not apply

Comment

All I can tell you is that one day I accidentally took 80mg at once (thought my 20mg pills were 10mgs) and the SEs were horrendous. I never want to feel that way again! You can try adding another 10mg a day and see how your body responds. At 120mg, the SEs bothered me, so I titrated down for a while. Now I'm back at 120. It's all trial and error and it depends on how your system handles the med. Keep us posted!

Comment

I'm curious, too, beatle, to know what kind of effect the bac is having on your drinking patterns. That information would be helpful for me and for a doctor that I am working with who is also starting to work with other patients using baclofen.

But basically, I'm with LoOp. Especially since you're taking it more often, if things get uncomfortable you can just back off on the next dose, right? I've gone up by as much as 50 mg a day with no problem. Good luck - thanks for all the info you've posted and hope this goes great for you!
            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Lo0p;872555 wrote: You know what I'd say...
              No, I don't.

Comment

I went ahead and took the extra 30, which means I took 180 today, instead of the 140 I've worked up to over time. This means I went up 40mg in one day-- which is a lot for a person who has taken 10 months to get to 140.

So far, SEs are no more than expected. Weird twitching, complete lack of balance (freaking others out), tingling, headache -- all tolerable in the big picture. If this works out, I'm thinking of going up another 40 tomorrow. I'm on a roll.

But, back to my original inquiry: am I setting my self up for disaster?

Mind you, I can handle fairly uncomfortable SEs, I just don't want to be reckless.

Comment

It doesn't sound dangerous to me.

Back when I was trying to get my dose lower (say around 150mg) and it wasn't working, I would dose up high for a couple of days to make the cravings go away. I'm not going to say how high...ever...but I never experienced anything other than an 'uncomfortable buzz'.

But that's just me.
                  sigpic

A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

RedThread12;872704 wrote: I'm curious, too, beatle, to know what kind of effect the bac is having on your drinking patterns. That information would be helpful for me and for a doctor that I am working with who is also starting to work with other patients using baclofen.

But basically, I'm with LoOp. Especially since you're taking it more often, if things get uncomfortable you can just back off on the next dose, right? I've gone up by as much as 50 mg a day with no problem. Good luck - thanks for all the info you've posted and hope this goes great for you!
                    Bac has reduced my drinking naturally, but I need to be AF. It would not be exaggerating to say that my life depends on it.

I went up 40mg today. I'm already feeling the effect.

Comment

Lo0p;872944 wrote: It doesn't sound dangerous to me.

Back when I was trying to get my dose lower (say around 150mg) and it wasn't working, I would dose up high for a couple of days to make the cravings go away. I'm not going to say how high...ever...but I never experienced anything other than an 'uncomfortable buzz'.

But that's just me.
                      Thank you Lo0p. I'm sure I will experience more than an uncomfortable buzz.

I just wanted to make sure I am not being reckless.

I'm planning another 40mg tomorrow, which would put me at 220. That's an incredible amount for me. Wish me luck.

Comment

I can't comment on the high dose safety but I know that Dr. A used a mg/kg equivalent from one of the animal studies, I know I saw in o the board somewhere here but I can't find in at the moment.

I seem to be one of the lucky ones in that my cravings went away at a relatively small dose of 4x20mg, so I don't see any point in going higher.

Good luck - this really works but it does seem like there is a lot of variation in dosage.
                        "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
                        AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

It is important to realize that the half life of bac is very short 2-4 hours. Thus you need to spread out the dose over 24 hours so you don't get severe high levels and low low levels. Wish there were a long acting pill available!
                          I think you would do well to discuss this rapid upward dosing with a neurologist or someone experienced at using the higher doses. I would be very worried about twitching, balance problems, etc. The drug has been shown to lower seizure potential in vulnerable populations.
                          Respect this drug. It works on your neurotransmitters. Get professional advice

Comment

I take all of my daily 200 mgs in one dose at 2pm. It works for me, always has. No SE's, no cravings, no interest in alcohol at all. My witching hour was typically 7pm to midnight.
                            sigpic

A Forum
                            Trolls need not apply

Comment

Beatle,

I have just jumped from 80 mgs/day to 140 mgs/day.

I think, like you, I am ready to take this thing on. I have even given my manager notice that if my client wants 24/7 coverage on site this week, there had better be, at a minimum, three of us there to do it. I have worked too many 12-15 hour days since last November. I am putting my sobriety first.

It is an odd feeling, these SEs. I can't say I feel drunk or high but foggy, mired in mud?

However, I am sober again today and that is an amazing thing.

I think about you and your struggle. We parallel in many ways as you know.

I hope you win this war, too. We've won and lost a lot of skirmishes and battles but I want us to win the war.

Love,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X