Dosing up on bac-- what's dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They go away, quickly for me. I notice it's not quite that easy for most other people. The payoff is worth it though!!
    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
    :what?:
    sigpic
    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
    A Forum
    Trolls need not apply

Comment

I took the 180mg only. (up 40mg from last 2 weeks doses of 140mg). This was a rather large leap for me, but I felt ready.

Last night: Completely hyper and manic -- but manageable, considering it was not unexpected.

Had to drink a beer at 2:00 a.m. to calm down. Tasted good, but didn't help.

Took a melatonin (3mg) and a zolpidem (5mg). Slept fine, woke up at 7:00 with only some difficulty. But felt weird somehow. In a haze (but not a typical drunken haze).

Took 30mg bac at 9:00. Somnolence overtook me at 11:00. nothing could stand between me and my bed, which was only 2 kilometres away, thankfully... or somebody might have died (hopefully me rather than someone else).

Comatose in bed for about two hours, unable to move, but comfortable in a weird, completely indescribable, cozy way. Buzzing, tingling, my whole body at a low level of vibration, as if I were in a massage chair, trying to sleep, trying to stay awake, and recognizing the humour of the situation. I would have been happy to lie there all day... except I had a 13:00 appointment.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Cinders;873169 wrote: Beatle,

I have just jumped from 80 mgs/day to 140 mgs/day.

I think, like you, I am ready to take this thing on. I have even given my manager notice that if my client wants 24/7 coverage on site this week, there had better be, at a minimum, three of us there to do it. I have worked too many 12-15 hour days since last November. I am putting my sobriety first.

It is an odd feeling, these SEs. I can't say I feel drunk or high but foggy, mired in mud?

However, I am sober again today and that is an amazing thing.

I think about you and your struggle. We parallel in many ways as you know.

I hope you win this war, too. We've won and lost a lot of skirmishes and battles but I want us to win the war.

Love,
        Cindi
        80 to 140 sounds like a big jump. I'm curious to hear how it went.

My jump from 140 to 180 was a little too freaky. I took 120 yesterday and 140 again today.

I have to keep each dose at 20 or 30mg max. So I try to do them more often. I am unfortunately not regular enough, having a very irregular schedule.

But going up 40mg in one day was too much... sort of. If I had been in a high-stress work situation, I would have dumbed myself out. However, working at home, I was able to hold my ground somewhat. I think my colleagues and my employer thought I had gone off the deep end (which I had, in a manner of speaking)...
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Please keep us updated regularly, Beatle.

Whe you hit the switch, do you have plans in place to maintain that high dose for a period of say 2 weeks before titrating down?

I might be getting ahead of the situation here, but please allow yourself enough time to titrate down way more slowly than titrating up these last few days.
          I'll do whatever it takes
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I second tipronics advice. But I think I'm missing something here... Beatle & Cinders, why are you bumping up the dosage so much? What are you gaining in exchange for the increased SEs? I'm a little concerned.

Comment

I have been on bac for a long time, taking it slowly due to SEs, as well as a fear of losing hope due to SEs -- and partly because bac did help me control my drinking.

However, I am not willing or able to be a "moderate" drinker, or any kind drinker. I have been working at stopping drinking ACTIVELY for 5 years. This is really my last chance... and I don't feel I have been giving it a chance.

Comment

tiptronic_ct;875465 wrote: Please keep us updated regularly, Beatle.

Whe you hit the switch, do you have plans in place to maintain that high dose for a period of say 2 weeks before titrating down?

I might be getting ahead of the situation here, but please allow yourself enough time to titrate down way more slowly than titrating up these last few days.
                When (if ) I reach my switch, I will be ever so, oh ever so ever so, careful to not titrate down too quickly.

The plans I'm working on at the moment are more long-term... like the rest of my life.

When (if ) I do reach the switch, I will be back here to get advice on titrating down. I hope to see the day!

Comment

Lo0p;873160 wrote: I take all of my daily 200 mgs in one dose at 2pm. It works for me, always has. No SE's, no cravings, no interest in alcohol at all. My witching hour was typically 7pm to midnight.
                  Fascinating. I don't think this would work for me, but I have started taking my largest dose mid-afternoon. Smallest dose in the morning, so I am less zoned at work.

This is a very intersting thread. I think the consensus is that bumping up quickly is a bad idea. It is compelling to think that you might hit your switch earlier, but the SE's are too risky. Lo0p seems immune, but most are not.

-wort
                  TSM started 1/22/2010; Wks 1-6: 78u/wk
                  Baclofen + TSM started 3/5/10; Wks 7-25: 52u/wk
                  Alcohol free and indifferent since 7/15/2010

Comment

Working...
                  X