Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen/Naltrexone for other addictions

Hi all,
    A bit off topic for this site but I am wondering if anyone has come across any studies or reports of these two helping other addictions ie. eating, shopping, gambling, etc.

It would be interesting to see if one was able to take a pill, wait the hour and eat a block of chocolate and see if the desire for it decreases. My partner is intrigued with the information I have found over the past weeks to address my drinking problem and while she doesn't drink, she does enjoy the 'good stuff' food-wise.

Thank you all for making this site the benefit that it is.:goodjob:

Hi Dmbminaret,

I am no expert, but I got my NAL from River Pharmacy, and the Cust.Service Rep. there is very helpful and she said NAL really does diminish a person's appetitie. I have noticed since I've been on it that I think less about food. I've only been on it for about a week but am now AF.

Wishing you all the best in your journey and this really is a wonderful forum. Thank you for your thoughts!

Rusty

Comment

Lightlake Therapeutics Inc

Sinclair and his team are in phase 2 clinical trials using naloxone for unhealthy eating. Naloxone is a much faster acting, shorter lasting version of naltrexone.
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Hi DMD:

Imagine my surprise when, after three years alcohol free and shopping madly, I relapsed with alcohol, started baclofen, and lost all desire to drink AND to shop. And I have lost about 20-25 lbs.

I also take l-glutamine as suggested by forum members (https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...e-3-37269.html) and feel as if that has made the most significant difference in my appetite and eating habits. If craving for sweets is the primary issue, that might be a good place to start.

This is purely "anecdotal" information - me! I haven't seen any studies. But the link between anxiety and addiction that Dr. Ameison points to seems to have played out in spades in my life.

There are some links in this thread to patent applications that Dr. Ameison has made in which he suggests that baclofen may be effective for all addictions. I'm not sure he's pursuing that process, but apparently he believes there's potential there.

As Rusty says, this is an AWESOME forum. Wouldn't be a stretch for me to say it (all these courageous people!) has saved my life. Welcome and I sincerely hope you and your partner find what works for you.
        "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Thanks guys,
          Looks interesting for the future...

On another note, from what I have read about these two products, I am summizing that nal is the safer / more widely tested with use for alcohol dependency. Is this correct? Would it be common practice to try nal first and if that does not work then move to bac? Is one more chemically 'potent' than another?

Thanks all.

Comment

Hi DMB,

I'm sorry....I meant BAC for weight loss.....not NAL. BAC has helped immensely with the AL issue as well as food. Probably because BAC is a muscle relaxant? Debbie at River said she's been sober for 5 years and owes her sobriety to NAL and BAC, and she did lose weight on BAC.

Like Redthread, I take L-Glutamine 3 times a day because since I quit drinking, I have been craving....and caving into ice cream daily, which I would never eat. But, ice cream is certainly better than alcohol.

Regarding whether NAL or BAC is more potent than the other....Debbie said you can take them at the same time, but BAC is better if you are anxious about attending a party where AL is served, or anxiety is a known issue with you. I asked her if the two would be fighting with each other, and essentially cancelling each other out and she said no.

BAC could make you very sleepy....I have not noticed that but I am on a very low dosage. NAL does not have that effect.

You might want to start with the NAL and see if that helps first before starting on the BAC.

Since you are new to this forum, you could click on Baclofen on the Meds Forum and see all the posts there...very helpful!

Good luck on your journey and we are all here to help!

Rusty

Comment

I quit smoking 6 months ago after over ten attempts in the last three years. I did it by reading "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" which was fabulous, but I couldn't help but think that the Bac I'd been taking played an important roll... At the very least I was able to quit drinking for the two months I needed to quit smoking for good. I drink now, but very little and will probably decide to go back to AF in the future, and even when drinking I don't think about needing a cigarette even for a second. Luckily they disgust me now, so that helps

Comment

DMB,

Nal works by extinction. It is a very long process of always taking a Nal prior to drinking and the Nal does not allow you to get enjoyment from drinking. Eventually, you rewire your brain so that it doesn't consider drinking a pleasurable experience.

Baclofen works by being a GABA-B agonist. In other words, your brain is feeling the good but you are not feeding it with a poisonous, addictive substance.

There are studies being done about Nal and Bac for other addictions.

I don't want you to jump in to taking Nal thinking it is going to take away your cravings. It won't. The book to read on the subject is The Sinclair Method.

The book to read about Baclofen is The End of My Addiction.

I believe there are a couple of people here at MWO that use both Nal and Bac. Hopefully they will respond to you.

btw, :welcome:.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;873208 wrote: DMB,

Nal works by extinction. It is a very long process of always taking a Nal prior to drinking and the Nal does not allow you to get enjoyment from drinking. Eventually, you rewire your brain so that it doesn't consider drinking a pleasurable experience.

Baclofen works by being a GABA-B agonist. In other words, your brain is feeling the good but you are not feeding it with a poisonous, addictive substance.

Cindi
                  Thanks for the replies guys,
                  Cindi, what did you mean by "your brain is feeling the good, but you are not feeding it with a poisonous, addictive substance"?

By poisonous, addictive substance, you mean alcohol? And your brain is feeling the good from the Baclofen/GABA-B? So then you don't drink because you already feel good? Is this correct?

I understand TSM, but only just am finding out about the differences between nal and bac today. I started the naltrexone yesterday and am just researching out of curiosity.

Thanks again.

Comment

Debbie at River is also a shopaholic. Have you seen her shoe collection?!.......;-)

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Guitarista,

You are a lovable goofball!:h

Comment

Lo0p;873039 wrote: Lightlake Therapeutics Inc

Sinclair and his team are in phase 2 clinical trials using naloxone for unhealthy eating. Naloxone is a much faster acting, shorter lasting version of naltrexone.
                        Very interesting Lo0p!

I had a look at Naloxone and could not find any pills - just injection solutions!?!?
                        So you need to actually inject you the naloxone before eating unhealthy???
                        since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                        since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                        reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                        since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                        since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                        http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

Working...
                        X