TOPAMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX

does any one have any bad effects from topamaz?

TOPAMAX

Hi morty and welcome. I've been on 50mg of topamax for over four months. Pretty low dose compared to some. I'm a big guy too, 6' 2" 200lbs. It works for me against in combo with the anti-craving supplements. The only SE I had was a slight loss of appetite the first few weeks. Until I added the supps, I was going to try and increase to 100mg, but thankfully I'm good at this level. I wish you the best in your journey.
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

TOPAMAX

Hi Morty and welcome - I am on Topa and take 300mg - 150mg twice daily. I get occasional pins and needles in my hands and feet, initially I lost weight but that has stopped now and sometimes i can't think of a word - but that might be age related !!!!!! I have done really well on Topa and have been AF since beginning of Jan.

Are you thinking of taking it or have you started it and are having bad SE's? Let us know.

Sunshinedaisies
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

TOPAMAX

Hi Morty,

I too am thinking of starting Topa. I tried Bac but it did not agree with me. I wondered if Topa has any effect on mood/mental health as I have depression and really dont want to make it worse, (the Bac really did)

Best of luck, let us know how you go.

regards indiv

Comment

TOPAMAX

Hi Ind - are you on any meds for your depression? I take Celexa - which was a Godsend for me. Anyway, the Topa made no difference to me re my moods - initially I felt a bit lost and sort of irritable but that could have been due to the absence of AL!!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

sunshinedaisies
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

TOPAMAX

Hi Sunshine

Yes I am on Prozac, which has not been working all that well recently, (maybe because my drinking is at an all time high! Maybe I need to take a new antidepressant too. I am going to GP to get some TOPa and start there, hopefully if I can stop drinking it might help the mood! I really need to do something for drinking its esculating out of control

How are you going with the Topa Morty??

Regards Indiv

Comment

TOPAMAX

Topamax damn near killed me. I lost tons of weight. I had horrible tremors; couldn't even drive. It was very difficult for me to get off of it, as the symptoms worsened. I know some people have done very well with it. This is just my experience. Best wishes.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

TOPAMAX

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with it Seacailin - I know the SE are different for everyone. I lost weight but that has stopped now and I am fine with the weight I am at - didn't have any tremors either. Have you tried anything else like Bac or Nal? They seem to work well for lots of folk on here.

Sunshinedaisies

Comment

TOPAMAX

individualnz;878597 wrote: Hi Morty,

I too am thinking of starting Topa. I tried Bac but it did not agree with me. I wondered if Topa has any effect on mood/mental health as I have depression and really dont want to make it worse, (the Bac really did)

Best of luck, let us know how you go.

regards indiv
                  interesting! I read about Topamax that it can cause depression, but I did not read about Baclofen and depression.

Actually for me it feels quite opposite on Baclofen, it is elevating my mood. I guess everyone is different!
                  since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                  since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                  reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                  since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                  since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                  http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

TOPAMAX

Hi craving,

Yes it just goes to show how different we all are. Your right, exacerbation of depression or developing a primary depression does not seem to be a common theme with Bac, but unfortunately I had a very bad experience with it and am very scared to try again with it at this stage. I have also read that Topa can cause depression, however I have also read some infor that it can be used for bipolar and some benefits for depression, go figure, so what does one do! Im shit scared of having another depressive episode but Im shit scared of losing the plot completely my graduation alcohol consumption.

Any one have more insight who can tell me what to do!!!! Ha ha I know that cant happen, but I am truly open to ideas.

Regards Indiv

Comment

TOPAMAX

individualnz;879337 wrote: I have also read that Topa can cause depression, however I have also read some infor that it can be used for bipolar and some benefits for depression, go figure, so what does one do!
                      I have read about this too, but according to my information it is only used when nothing else helps, and doctors do not consider it a real bipolar treatment. Also there is not enough information supporting that Topamax helps with bipolar treatment.

As far as I saw there have been a few MWO members with Topamax depressions - some would not notice as they take anyways an anti depressive. So maybe worth combining Topamax with an anti depressive in the first place?
                      since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                      since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                      reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                      since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                      since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                      http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

Working...
                      X