Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax: Generic vs Brand

Hello,

I was on Topamax before awhile back and decided to go back on it again and this time they gave me the generic form. This time it seems to be making me very sleepy and I didn't notice it that much the last time I was taking it. I am titrating up the same way as I did the last time I did. Now I am concerned whether it will be as effective as the brand name was as regards curbing my cravings. Has anyone else had any experience with the generic vs the brand whether negative or positive?

Thanks!

:thanks:

I experienced no difference. Are you on any other meds that you were not when you last took topa? Are you taking any different supplements now vs. then?
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

the only other thing i take now that i didn't take then is wellbutrin.

Comment

could be that combo!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

shouldn't be since wellbutrin tends to make you more awake.

Comment

i also take prozac which i was on before when i was taking the topamax

Comment

you NOT taking prozac and wellbutrin together I hope? Anyway i saw a bunch of hits on the web about folks claiming wellbutrin making them tired. they were suprised too!

Comment

I agree with Techie - different drugs affect people differently - people always told me wellbutrin made them awake and that it made them lose weight. I looked forward to both when I took it to quit smoking - it did neither for me - it made me tired & fat! So much for that (but then again, I'm agitated naturally - probably would have been a candidate for Ritalin had they been prescribing that like candy when I was a little kid . . . .) Anyway, should not be any difference between the generic & brand on this particular drug. Sometimes there's a difference between brand & generic, but it's usually in the release mechanism into the body when it's been patented by a given manufacturer & it's not allowed to be replicated. I could find no material to support anything like this with Topamax when I researched it. My guess is that it's your drug combo causing the fatigue.

Comment

HI Stellar,

I too was on topa last year. Got it from River. I went back on Topa 3 months ago. From on-line. I noticed it didn't have the same "kick" to it as it did the first time I tried topa. I think some people here have said the samething. I think topa works best for cravings when you stop drinking AL.
                  Good luck and keep posting.

Comment

Is it possible that it works best the first time you try it because its the first time, then the second time your body is used to it, knows what its about and so does your mind, so therefore perhaps maybe a bit more resistant to its workings. Just a thought.

Indy

Comment

Working...
                    X