Reaching the Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaching the Switch?

I have not contributed much to these boards, since joining a few months ago. I have not needed advice, I got that by the bucketful, reading the posts, so generously and freely given by the wonderful people on this forum. Set against this, I have felt that my own experiences were perhaps not worth relating, as they would not add much to the debate. However I should not be the judge of that. So here goes.

My pondering regards what is the 'switch' and whether I have reached it, or not? Some talk of knowing when you have reached it, it being an almost revelatory experience, drinking one night, not wanting it the day after. Others talk of a gradual diminishing in interest in alcohol, until suddenly it is gone. I think I fit into the latter group. I am currently on 200mg of Bac a day, starting at around 6:00am, finishing at around 10:00pm, in five equal doses of 40mg. I have been taking this amount for three weeks, during which time I have not drunk alcohol. At 120mg a day, my intake, previously an every night affair, was confined to Sundays, this despite having a temporary lodger, who, when he is not at work, is in the pub, or drinking red wine or cider in front of me. This did not bother me at all but I partly attributed this to the fact that I do not really like red wine or cider and not drinking in the week is easier than at weekend.

Last weekend I went to a rare, almost unique, family barbecue. Everyone was drinking except me. I would not have drunk anyway, even pre-Bac, as I was driving. But I am sure, if I was in one of my periods of abstinence that followed a two week wall-to-wall bender, I would, feeling deprived, have dashed off in time to get my fill in a local hostelry, making up for lost time and probably, as usual, starting on another massive bender.

As mentioned I did drink on Sundays, the last time at 180mg of Bac, over Whit Weekend. I had been for a bike ride, I was hot and parched, the allure of a few cold lagers was not overwhelming but seemed like a good idea. I had eight pints over five hours, pre-Bac this amount would have gone in two hours. I would have gone home, slept an hour or so and been back out for more. Up again on the Monday to continue drinking cans, bought with the morning paper. I had four pints the following evening and have not drunk since.

I have thought about alcohol but these thoughts last less than a minute, they do not, as in the past, become nagging, insistent itches that must be scratched. Should I be having these thoughts at all if I have reached the switch? I have not been returned to the way I was before I ever touched alcohol. I do not think that this is feasible, Bac cannot erase your memory. It can however allow you to take a more detached, less emotional view of recollection. It can make you realise the thoughts are illusions, the reality was not so great.

However, what about tomorrow? My girlfriend is away, it is sunny and England are playing our old nemesis Germany in the World Cup. Will I feel like I am missing out by watching the game at home alone, or do I go out and watch it in convivial surroundings, with lager free-flowing and banter aplenty? And me there miserable with lime & soda on the peripheries of the fun. Or do I join in, knowing a few drinks will not be a precursor to a bender? Perhaps I will not feel like going out at all. I don't know yet.

For that matter, how would I deal with the departure lounge? In the past, a place where my holiday began began with a bang. After a quick look around the shops, pausing to linger over the spirits, that I had sufficient self-awareness, and a girlfriend at my shoulder, to realise a purchase would not be a good idea, it would be straight ot the bar. When alcohol has been so central to your social, as well as private life for so long, it still needs to be dealt with, Bac makes this easier but if I have reached the switch it was a muted affair.

On re-reading the relevant part of Dr Amiesen's book, I see that he was apprehensive about going to the bar, where he realised, when he looked at people drinking, it was with total indifference. He did not realise within himself that he had reached the switch, it had to be tested. I have experienced indifference, will it happen in every situation?

I am off for a bike ride now. I have just started taking L-glut to lessen sugar/alcohol cravings. I think it is helping and that is half the battle. I am sure I will not crave a cold lager when I get back. With all the exercise and less carbs, I have lost weight.

Thanks again to everyone who gave do freely the info that enabled me to do this. Have I reached the switch? One thing I do know, the Bac has almost certainly prevented another massive bender. I realised that a few weeks ago, when stresses that normally led to the vodka, didn't do so.

Reaching the Switch?

Hey, Konbrot

I think part of what you're alluding to is our emotional attachment to AL. It's a tough one

Social situations are sometimes still very difficult for me. I might not want AL in any way whatsoever, but sometimes feel excluded from the "fun" everyone is having...

Have a look at this thread and see if any of it resonates.

Just as an aside: my own experience was also a gradual (but quite rapid, due to speed of titration) loss of interest.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

Thanks Tip, for the words and the link. I have read the first few pages of the thread and it is really good. It resonates resoundingly. I am going to bookmark it and have a read every now and then. Ta very much.

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

I started bac not knowing about "the switch" and therefore not looking for it. I made a plan to abstain, like I had done hundreds of times before. But this time the "will power (good judgment) plus the lack of craving (baclofen) allowed me to succeed. I had tried several ways before; Will power, RR, AA, naltrexone, topa, hypnosis, etc. over my 40 year drinking career. None of them had the staying power that this combination has had. I realise I am a case study of one. I occasionally think of alcohol but the quelling of the intense cravings gives my wise cortex a window of opportunity to consider the consequences and not act on the idea as I would have in the past. I wouldn't look for "the switch" to be anything other than the ability to abstain when I make a considered dicision to do so. I don't ever expect to be "neutral" about alcohol, given my 42 year history of abusing it and it me. I am supprisingly "immune" to former cues tho. That is what I notice the most. If the switch means I don't drink and don't plan to then that is enough for me. I am currently on about 80 mg/day and have been continuously abstinent since mid Jan, 2010.
        Good luck and keep us posted.
        Sunny

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

hi konbrot
          your storry sounds bery encouraging regarless whether you have reached the switch or not, so keep it up, the sitch seems to be a tricky thing, the "revelation" switch does not exist for me, its more than slowly (very slwoly) losing interest in drinking ( i went on the binge 3 times a week) i thought i had found my switchdose and 275 but it wasnt to be..i am now on one binge a week (friday after work where my body and mind are programed to drink for 25 years and it seems that this last barrier i cannot yet break, i am working on it
          cheers
          rudolf

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

Thanks SV for your wise words. You have expressed very eloquently what Bac does for us. I think I expressed similar sentiments when Rudolf needed a bit of a lift, several days ago. However, as I have come to understand, it is one thing knowing and another thing acting on the knowledge. However, as you say, Bac gives your 'wise cortex' a chance to consider the consequences, in a brain previously driven almost solely by the amygdala, and its wants and needs, which gives no regard to the consequences. Apologies in advance if my limited understanding of the brain is totally wrong. However, whether right or wrong, somewhere in the head of a Bac-er, reasoning is being given a chance. While I have not had a sudden revelation, I now believe I have hit the switch. The side effects at 200mg have lessened but I plan on cutting my dose.

Also SV you are a case study of one but no less relevant because of this. We are all, including Dr Amiesen, case studies of one but together, we are putting forward a compelling case for Bac to be used in the treatment of addictive disorders.

Thanks Rudolf for your support. I used to drink heavily every night and very heavily at the weekends, often the weekends would spill into the week and I would go on a wall-to-wall bender for two weeks. I would then often than go abstinent, for a month or two, during which time I experienced few cravings until it all went wrong again. Often it was boredom that caused the abstinence to end, mostly mixed with stresses that had built up. Sometimes it was being placed in a situation I had not prepared for and feeling 'deprived', I would drink. Sometimes I convinced myself that I could handle an isolated occurrence. I couldn't, I was deluding myself.

With Bac at 120mg onwards, like you, I lost interest in drinking, except for Sundays, when I made my excuses and drank. However, I took it a lot slower, with much less interest. On the Monday morning, I had no desire to continue. A friend told me I had become a 'normal drinker'. Normal drinker in the English sense is someone, who is mostly abstinent, but indulges in periodic, maybe once a week, binges.

Do I want to be like that? The answer must be no. I have been ill served by my relationship with alcohol. I will give it a miss today. We must all find what we are comfortable with, Bac gives us that chance. It is doing this for you also Rudolf. Keep at it you will get there.

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

konbrot
              reminds me so much on my own story keep it up mate, we all will get there sooner or later...in my case rather later it seems, but its geeting better, one binge instead of 3 is already a huge step in the right direction..once i get the friday craving under control i will have succeeded too, cant be that far away..tell me about this L-glut stuff, does it help? does vitamin B help?
              thanks
              rudolf

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

Hi Rudolf,
                Thank for the support. Yes we are heading in the right direction. You will get there.

I have embarked on a fitness drive, apparently L-glut helps with this, it also helps with sugar/alcohol cravings, by regulating your blood sugar levels. I think Bac helps most with he booze. L-glut cannot harm. It is an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein, it is naturally occurring and I think it can be of benefit. There is a lot of stuff written about it on the forum. If I knew how, I would provide links.

I have not investigated vitamin B to the same extent. I am sure it must help to have a good diet. What constitutes a good diet is a whole different debate. Find what works for you. If you believe it does, then that is the reality.

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

Another thing I just thought of Rudolf: The last time I half-craved alcohol was a Sunday, following a 40mile (about 64km) bike ride. I was parched, it was Sunday and my blood sugar was probably low. I went for a few cold ones. L-glut may have helped had I been taking it.

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

thanks, i just need any help i can get gor this few hours on friday when i just cannot manage the craving...maybe its psychlogical as i went for a drink on friday for 25 years...last friday was the same, it came later than usual so i could work until 5pm, but than it came with a power i had nothing to put up against..i think though that the longer i stay on the 300 the bigger my chance that this will vanish..i would go to bloody 1000/day if it helped..

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

konbrot;896129 wrote: Another thing I just thought of Rudolf: The last time I half-craved alcohol was a Sunday, following a 40mile (about 64km) bike ride. I was parched, it was Sunday and my blood sugar was probably low. I went for a few cold ones. L-glut may have helped had I been taking it.
                      HALT, Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

HALT.

You can do this.

So can I.

I am tired of being on the hamster wheel with no way out. Bac sets me up so I can do this.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

HALT..good stuff

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

There is a lot of discussion and information about l-glut in this recent thread:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...bac-43263.html
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

More l-glut info:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...ine-37269.html
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Reaching the Switch?

On Sunday, I went for a bike ride. It was hot. I came home, alone, parched and a bit tired. Not too tired, I am getting fitter. Two and a half of the HALT ingredients, thanks Cinders and all the excuses I needed to go for a gargle. You know what...I just could not be bothered with it. Couldn't be arsed at all. I watched the football at home. Glad I did now! For more reasons than just the result of the game.
                              Hi beatle, thanks for taking the trouble to post the L-Glut links.

Comment

Working...
                              X