X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen titration Schedule

This is for PortobelloRoad:

Zenstyle's titration schedule:

Here's a safe titration schedule to begin Baclofen: (Disclaimer: this is a personal opinion.)

(15mg) 3 x 5mg daily for 3 days.

(30mg) 3 x 10mg daily for the next 3 days.

Then add on 10mg daily and stay with that for 3-5 days before progressing to the next amount, depending on how it reacts with your system.

If you're not tired you can titrate faster. If you're tired, just take your time. It's different in each individual. Some people experience more somnolence than others in the early stages of taking Baclofen. Let your body guide you as to how fast you titrate.

There's a debate whether one reaches their "switch" at a lower dosage if one titrates slowly. I titrated slowly (to 100mg in 5 weeks). I was fine at 90mg, I added on the last 10mg just to be sure. I've now titrated down to 80mg + 20mg p.r.n. (if I'm going into a drinking situation or I feel a craving).

I read an article from a reputable website where they recommend, at 80mg/daily, to take it 4 x 20mg, which is what I do. Otherwise, depending on what your schedule is and when your cravings are worst, you can choose to take larger doses at certain times of the day.

Everyone?s body and elimination of Baclofen is different. There is no ?set in stone? amount to titrate to. Please use Dr. Ameisen?s titration as a guideline for yourself.

Dr. Ameisen?s Titration:

Ameisen titrated up to 3.6mg per kilo (270mg/daily) at which dose he became indifferent towards alcohol.

He stayed at that dose for 12 days then, due to the fact that he was experiencing somnolence, he titrated down to 1.6mg/kilo (120mg/daily) and he stayed at that dose for a long time. Today he continues to take 30-50mg/daily.

Whilst titrating up, and at the lower dosage of 120mg/daily, he took an additional 20-40mg p.r.n. (on an as-needed basis/once daily) if he was experiencing cravings ? this would produce a state of deep relaxation within the hour, followed by somnolence.

(1 kilo = 2.2 pounds.)

Interesting Facts:

As well as alcoholism, Ameisen had a pre-existing anxiety disorder ? the lower dosage of 120mg/daily took care of both anxiety and symptoms of alcohol dependence. (He came off his anxiety meds.)

Interestingly, before experimenting with high dosage Baclofen, Ameisen had tried Naltrexone (50md/daily) and Campral (2g/daily) for 12-18 months each but discontinued as they didn?t stop his cravings or relapses. He then went onto Baclofen (180mg/daily) for his anxiety but didn?t exceed that dosage as he was unaware that higher dosages were safe. He took that for 12 months - it didn?t suppress cravings or relapses. He then tried Topamax (300mg/daily) for 3 months and discontinued as, again, no reduction in cravings or relapses.

He researched Baclofen and realized it had the potential to suppress cravings and alleviate anxiety simultaneously. He calculated the amount needed for body weight based on a study in rats and the fact that neurologists were using up to 270mg/daily (long term) for multiple sclerosis and 300mg/daily in spasticity.

He then went back on Baclofen at 30mg/daily, adding 20mg/daily every third day. He used 20-40mg p.r.n. From Day 1 anxiety was reduced, muscular tension began to subside and sleep was more restful. It took him 5 weeks to reach 270mg/daily at which point he was indifferent towards alcohol.

His daily consumption prior to Baclofen was typically 750ml of Scotch a day.

He?s been abstinent since January 9, 2004.

Dr. Ameisen's Book:

"The End of My Addiction" by Oliver Ameisen, M.D. Available at Amazon.com or your local book store.

I hope this helps everyone that wants to try Ameisen's Baclofen cure. If I?ve forgotten anything, PM me or post on here and I?ll add it on.
    Last edited by Zenstyle : 07-07-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: New info.
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Bumping this, as it was helpful for me. Taking this excellent summary with me to my Doc, along with Dr. A's book to encourage her to prescribe me more than my current 80mg/day.

Thanks Phoenix!

Comment

Hi PR
      I took your 'advice' and had to bite my tablets in half to get the 5mg.
      I have no read Dr Ameisen's book. he doesn't seem to mention anything much at all about side effects. I've had lots and was almost ready to give up. A couple of mywayout members told me about the baclofen4alcoholism.com website, and we have had a great deal of help and support from Phil. I decided to persevere through the side effects and am now much better.
      Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I can now see a bit of light at the end of a lonely tunnel.
      Mags

Comment

I wondered where you'd gone to!! So glad you're sticking with it. Some folks seems to be more susceptible to Se's than others. The 5mg increase is that way to go if you are the sensitive type. So glad to see you back here, I was worried about you!!
        Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.

Comment

Hi
          I'm still here and doing OK, I think.
          The slow titration is clearly the answer for me.
          Had a horrible nightmare last night about being eaten by my sons. It was terrible. And I wet the bed again.
          I hope that this will all be worth it.
          Mags

Comment

PortabelloRoad;926014 wrote: Hi
            I'm still here and doing OK, I think.
            The slow titration is clearly the answer for me.
            Had a horrible nightmare last night about being eaten by my sons. It was terrible. And I wet the bed again.
            I hope that this will all be worth it.
            Mags
            Stick with it. The ability of Bac to suppress anxiety is almost worth it in and of itself. At what dose are you now?

Comment

Working...
            X