Forced down on Topa dose by meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I?m in my third week on topiramate trying to get away from a pint-a-day addiction to vodka. I?m using 50 mg tablets from Pharma out of Mumbai, India. My doctor has since set me up with a six-month renewable, with a 1 per day rate. My problem is that I initially started at 50; then after a few days bumped it to 100; and the day I visited him I had gone to 150. Talk about dopey. I dropped it to 100 until I got dizzy one morning at Lowe?s came home checked out my prescriptions online and found that my blood pressure med, hydrochlorothaizide, is listed as possibly amplifying side effects of topa, which includes dizziness and memory problems. I?ve got no choice here. I?ve had a quadruple bypass, have athereosclerosis and am a ticking time bomb for a return of atrial fibrillation. (Genes and booze) Meds 10 Topa at 100 0. I?ve since gone to the pill splitter and am taking 25 midmorning and 25 before bed. I?m also fiddling with the supplements. Put on your thinking hats, folks: Do I even consider a higher level of topa AND what are these supplements doing to my cardiovascular system?

Hi Eddie - you need to talk to your doc about it. The starting dose for Topa is 25mg a day for a week or two then goes to 25mg twice a day - but with your medical history, it is no good asking us what we think - you must talk to your Doctor!!

Also - for some reason, which I cannot remember, you are not supposed to split Topa tabs. Can you not get some 25mg ones from your doc?

To go to 150mg in three weeks is going too quickly as well - JUST my opinion!!!! The SE are much less when one titrates up slowly - have you downloaded and read the book? They have a titration schedule in the book which is better to follow to avoid SE. But you really need to talk to your Doc.

All the best,

Sunshinedaisies x
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

baclofen and/or naltrexone

Wish I could say more right now but I gotta go see about a girl! I'll be back later.

Wish me luck!
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Have you tried Topa Loop?

Comment

I thought I had everything covered. Got the book, the topa obviously, the supplements, the CDs. But I don't have the foggiest of what a topa loop is. Fill me in, please.

Comment

Indi was asking Loop if HE had tried Topa! Oh, I needed a laugh - thank you SO much!!!!!! Incidentally Indi - Loop has been on Bac with much success and has many threads about it. oh Eddie - that did make me laugh - thank you - you have no idea how I needed that!!

hugs - sunshinedaisies xx
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Eddie - I hope that you aren't upset with me for laughing, but it did just tickle my funny bone. I wasn't laughing at you - I really needed something to cheer me up this evening and that really hit the spot. Thank you! Are you going to talk to your doc about your meds? Let us know won't you?

Hugs, Sunshinedaisies x

Comment

Ha Ha, yeah I just read that too, that is really funny.

You must speak to a doctor, even your cardiologist. Infact there is one on here that would be more than interested in the subject. PM and see if you get a response. Its billp .I have not seen him for a long time, he was very successful on Bac but he may still check his mail

Regards Indy

Comment

Hi all - I haven't been successful on either NAL or BAC. Now thinking about Topa...what book are you referring to? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X