Just starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting out

Hi all. Have been reading and researching since February. Ordered Bac from River Pharm and received it a couple months ago. Fianally started yesterday. Am being very cautious. Only took 5mg 2x yesterday. Will increase to 5 mg 3x today. Am a peds nurse by trade and have given Baclofen for spasticity to kids for years. Feel kind of strange taking it for myself. Anyhow, here I go. Slow and steady.
    :new:

Just starting out

:hallo: H&N

Good luck - we'll be looking out for progress reports
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Just starting out

Hello Here & Now,
      I am new as well, and am just trying to decide which med to take. It is very confusing to me. May I ask you why you decided to do Baclofen instead of Topomax or Chantix? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
      IGIT

Comment

Just starting out

Hey, IGIT and welcome to MWO

Baclofen simply has a higher success rate than Topamax. The key difference, IMO, lies in the fact that Topa just helps you along to manage cravings. If bac works for you, you truly become indifferent to AL. Huge difference!

According to my knowledge, Chantix is a med to assist with quitting smoking and not really used for AL?
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Just starting out

Hi Igit - welcome. Tip is right - Topa does manage cravings. Although I have titrated down off it, I still am AF. Topa really helped me to get off the AL initially and kept me off it until I felt I could manage it alone. I think if you want, you can take the Topa indefinitely. Both Bac and Topa have Side effects, although i was lucky in that I had hardly anything with the Topa. It worked for me - all I can say is to read all the various posts - only you can decide which one, if you go with a med, to use.

For me, the Topa seemed much easier - which ever you use, I wish you all the best with it and read, post and ask questions! Someone here will be able to answer you!

hugs, Sunshinedaisies x
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Just starting out

I actually chose Baclofen because I was intrigued by the results experienced by others. I also like to have some control and like the idea of titrating myself. The down side is that you really are on your own. This website has been extremely helpful. Topamax on the otherhand has helped a friend of mine who was a pretty hardcore drinker. Her MD put her on topamax for migraines and she has essentially been AF for about 9 months now. She also incorporated hypnotherapy. Topamax is also more recognized in the US and may be more readily obtained via RX by a MD. Good luck. I'll post my progression as I move forward. Still on extremely low dose. Plan on titrating up by 10 mg tomorrow. Have thus far had minimum SE.

Comment

Just starting out

I had to get off the Topamax. It turned me into a babbling idiot. Bac seems to be working for me. (fingers crossed)
              Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
              That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
              Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
              Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Just starting out

PhoenixRising;920169 wrote: I had to get off the Topamax. It turned me into a babbling idiot. Bac seems to be working for me. (fingers crossed)
                Now you just babble. But more intelligently :H:H:H

(apologies for the slight thread hijack)
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Just starting out

tiptronic_ct;920173 wrote: Now you just babble. But more intelligently :H:H:H

(apologies for the slight thread hijack)
                  :H Ain't that the truth....
                  Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.

Comment

Just starting out

Day 6 still at 30mg. Will be titrating up this weekend. Have to be careful due to work responsibilities. SE minimal. Still drinking. Sleeping well and feel rested and calm. Saw psychiatrist today willing to RX he said to not titrate up until SE gone. He really has very little experience with the drug but who is complaining? He is at least willing to work with me.

Comment

Just starting out

here and now;923023 wrote: Day 6 still at 30mg. Will be titrating up this weekend. Have to be careful due to work responsibilities. SE minimal. Still drinking. Sleeping well and feel rested and calm. Saw psychiatrist today willing to RX he said to not titrate up until SE gone. He really has very little experience with the drug but who is complaining? He is at least willing to work with me.
                      I went up too fast the first time and that was stoopid. I agree - don't increase your dosage until the SE's abate at the current level. Listening to your body is always good.

Comment

Working...
                      X