I'm having hope thankful my Dr. was so receptive to Bac treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:h Hi everyone! I'm pretty much like everyone else trying to quit drinking. I've tried everything, and have failed miserably. I've been drinking for over 25 years now, and am a 40 yr. old mom of two sweet boys. I've been researching Baclofen for some time now. I finally had reached my breaking point (mentally, as well as just exhaustingly burned out too). I live in a small town, and have a wonderful ob/gyn. I printed out all my research, bought the book from Dr. Oliver Ameisen, and was nervous as all hell - worried about my drs. response, my anxiety, and the dissapointment I may feel if he wouldn't agree to help me. I made an appt. and went in --- I layed out all my information (and of course was an emotional wreck), and may family history, etc. I was afraid and ashamed to put so much information about myself out there. I just pointed to all my notes and research and the the title I put on it... Alcoholism and Baclofen and said "can you please help me with this?" I said anything I can try right now is better than what alcohol is doing to me health wise and emotionally/mentally. I just can't do this anymore I told him. I need to find something that will help me (as well as my children if they ever have this awful problem when they grow up. I've guinea pigged everything on myself to try and find something that could work for them if they ever cross this road and with these evil cravings.) He was soooo receptive and was willing to prescribe it to me as long as I contacted him 1x a week and talked with him about my progress. Needless to say I was overjoyed and more than ecstatic. I've started out on 10 mg. 3x day, and am now up to 20 mg. 3x a day. So far I'm doing well. I'm going through some emotional/mental/and physical withdrawals but am hanging in there. I know y'all don't know me, but I've struggled through the same addiction and am hoping that y'all can open up your hearts to say a prayer please that this may work for me. I cannot continue down this same road. I did something I'm not proud of under the influence and to me is unconscionable, and just hit bottom. I'll have to live with my guilt, and I've asked for forgiveness many times over from God but this is it, I cannot do this stupid shit any longer. Again, I appreciate any prayers anyone can spare. Thank you.....

Hi dmb...
    I feel llike I am calling you "dumb!"
    Your story could be me.
    I am up to 60 mg of bac and have hope. I have not hit the switch and am still drinking here and there.
    I pray that you find the happiness you are looking for, and the pece you deserve. Don't beat yourself up over the past...just focus on the future and what a better mom you will be!!
    Join us in the Newbies Nest or on the ODAT thread (One Day at a Time).
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thank you Mama Bear! I needed that... your reply. I am soooo beating myself up, and really don't have anyone to talk to about it. I appreciate your post, and I think with each sober day, things will get better. I think I've checked out your posts before and I hope whatever it is that you want to achieve is w/in your reach hon! I truly do appreciate the prayers --- I'll say one for you as well! : 0 ).

Comment

I grew up in Atlanta!!!!
        The "Get Your Ass In Gear" thread is a few southern belles and other lovely people...you might feel at home there too!!!
        There are no secrets here and we all fighting the same demon...so read and post and you will have a new cyber family before long.
        YOU ARE NOT ALONE ANYMORE!!
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi and welcome... I love your flower: )
          I'm so happy that you found this board and were able to get Baclofen from a prescribing doctor. I have a similar situation here but still feel more educated (from the help of this board) than my prescribing doctor. I am up 200 mgs and have been AF for 13 days. I know what the added guilt/pain feels like as a mother myself. Please keep posting as a record of your progress -- It really does help. May I ask how much your doctor prescribed and how high he's willing to go?
          -HS

Comment

Wonderful progress, HopefulSpirit! Congratulations!!

Welcome dmb!

Comment

Hi dmb... my thoughts are right there with you. I, too, found a receptive doctor and I'm currently on Baclofen. It is saving my life, and I hope it works for you, too! By the second week on it, I was amazed at the results, and continue to be.

Daz

Comment

I second Daz' "saving my life" thought. I truly believe I was on my down the river of no return before baclofen.

Comment

I am 58 and after drinking for over 40 years have finally been able to be AF for the past 6 1/2 months thanks to baclofen. It is a wonderful drug for me. I believe that you, with your motivation and judgment, along with the craving suppression of baclofen will succeed. Good luck on your journey. I don't believe in prayer, but I do believe in honesty and hard work. My thoughts are with you in this. Keep us posted. You are on the right path
                  Sunny

Comment

Wow, wonderful news! Bac is working for me, and you have all my prayers that it will work for you. (I *know* it will if you stick with it thru the SE's!)

hugs to you.

-P.
                    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

What a great thread. I too live in Atlanta, am 44 and have a 5 year old. Been drinking for 25 years and have by the grace of whatever higher energy out there have not been harmed or harmed anyone physically due to alcohol. I started bac last Sat. Am up to 10mg 3x/day as of yesterday. Can already see differences in my drinking patterns. Am working with a psychiatrist, but he is not sold on prescribing yet. I wanted to give it a few weeks, report back and ask him at that time to prescribe. If he doesn't I will be looking elsewhere. DMB, who is your doc? I think you can send me a personal message if you do not want to post. I know I am babbling. I mostly want to say how awsome you ALL are. I have been following this site since last February and just took the step last weekend. I am really excited about this. Just think, we are pioneering a "cure" for something that has always been thought of as incurable!

Comment

There is a doc in the atlanta area who will prescribe bac. PM me if you want the name
                        Sunny

Comment

Hi dmb, my heart goes out to you, I have odne many things I am very ashamed of when Ihave been drink, the guilt etc is overwhelimg as we know we would not have done whta ever it is if it was not for al. I have been on bac since last Aug and its changed my life, to have that lifted from me is amazing. I know its easy to say but dont beat yourself up we cant change what we have done but we can cahnge the future. Keep strong I wll pray for you and everybody on this pathway !

Bh xx

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;922192 wrote: There is a doc in the atlanta area who will prescribe bac. PM me if you want the name
                            Sunny
                            Hello,

I am very interested finding out which doctor in Atlanta is willing to try the Baclofen protocol. Would you kindly respond as soon as possible? This looks very promising, and has me quite excited.

D (Heidi is my dog's name )

Comment

Working...
                            X