Baclofen and surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and surgery

Hi all, I've got a bit of a weird one. I'm booked in for day surgery in about 2 weeks but unfortunately it coincides with my high dosage point of Bac. I haven't drank for a week and at this point I really don't feel like one. It has taking me a huge effort to get to this point with nothing short of horrible side SE. My concerns are as follows and I know your not doctors but your experienced feedback would be much appreciated and I have informed the Doctor.
    - Will I safely be able to continue my dose in and around the surgery?
    - Does back conflict with the pain medication as it will be needed?
    - Should I lower the does to try and avoid SE?
    - I need to fly in and out for this surgery and was wondering if this is any concern?
    - How long can I stop Bac before I get repercussions?
    - Can anyone see any other complications that I have over looked that may be cause for concern?
    Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is well, Trav.

Baclofen and surgery

Trav,

You really have to tell your Doctor about your BAC dosage if you are going in for surgery and I would do that NOW. BAC is a muscle relaxant and may cause a deadly reaction with the other meds you'll be on during and after your surgery.

I don't know how the medical field is in Australia but here in the States, patients going in for surgery are required to tell their doctor what medications they are taking-even holistic ones. Good luck to you!

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

Trav
      Rusty is right. And I am a doctor (surgeon) and taking Baclofen.
      If you are having a local anaesthetic, then you will be fine with your Baclofen dose so long as the doctors know. Low blood pressure might be a problem, but so long as they know.
      A general anaesthetic is a different kettle of fish.
      If you dont tell them, then you are playing Russian Roulette. Don't do it. Please.
      The anaesthetist can work around your Baclofen, so long as they know about it beforehand. It's perfectly safe. They just have to know.
      As for your pain relief, there are two important aspects, and your doctors should be made aware of this.
      Anything with morphine / codeine could hit you like an express train if they don't know about your baclofen. Low blood pressure and mad things!!
      Secondly, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs switch your kidneys off. Baclofen is not broken down by your liver (much). It is almost entirely excreted by your kidneys. So, if you're on big doses of baclofen and are given big dose anti-inflammatories, then your baclofen dose just got a whole lot bigger. And neither you or your doctors would have realised. Tell them!!
      I hope that this helped.
      Trav, feel free to pm me or e-mail me through the B4a web site.
      Phill
      baclofen4alcoholism.com

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

Phill-

Thank you SOOO much for taking the time to provide this information....I am so glad you posted when you did. I printed out your article and put it in my MWO file. Bac is working wonders for me.....never thought I could get away from AL's grasp, but I have.

Thank you again,

Rusty

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

You're very very welcome Rusty.
          I'm always available through my baclofen4alcoholism.com web site. I talk to lots of us every day.
          Phill

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

Hi Phill,

Thank you for extending your hand to all of us. You probably will be hearing from me!

Thank you again for your time and wisdom,

Rusty

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

I have personal experience with this.

I had acute cholecystitis in March of this year, at which point I was stable on 175mg of baclofen. I was scheduled for surgery in one week. I told the admitting nurse that I was taking 175mgs of baclofen/day for alcoholism and showed her my graph of dramatically reduced alcohol consumption. The doctors had questions but I basically told them the same thing.

They prescribed me 175mgs of baclofen/day. I was in the hospital for 10 days, the first 7 of which I was on IV antibiotics to bring the swelling of my gallbladder down. During this time I was also on, at the VERY least, 2mgs of dilaudid every 2 hours, 24 hours/day. This went up to 3mgs, and then 4mgs before they put me on a PCA machine.

I had surgery under general anasthesia which lasted for more than 3 hours and was released 2 days later.
              :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
              :what?:
              sigpic
              Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
              A Forum
              Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

B4A;928707 wrote: TSo, if you're on big doses of baclofen and are given big dose anti-inflammatories, then your baclofen dose just got a whole lot bigger. And neither you or your doctors would have realised. Tell them!!
                I wonder if that's why I had to go so high with the bac (245 or 3.6 kg/mg) since I am taking Mobic, an anti-inflammatory. Or are you saying it goes the other direction?
                Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

Hiya
                  Nice to speak again
                  Yes, I am saying that it goes in the other direction.
                  Your 'old' baclofen has to be excreted before you take your next 'new' bit. For lots of medicines, it is your liver that processes them. For baclofen, it is your kidneys that basically just pees it out.
                  Mobic and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are really good at turning your peeing tap off.
                  In a really bad past life, me and my medic mates used to take tons of Brufen before we went on a big bender weekend. We could drink on Olympic levels with no hangover. Because we didn't pee and our kidneys were switched off.
                  But boy, did you get the mother of all hangovers when you stopped the Brufen. And how much did we pee?! I've a picture of a (now) Professor of Paediatrics standing (yes, standing) on a toilet peeing for several minutes. Honestly. Non-steroidals are that effective.
                  They WILL mess around with your baclofen dosages. But in a different way to the one you describe.
                  I hope that made sense.
                  You know where I am
                  Phill
                  baclofen4alcoholism.com
                  PhoenixRising;928745 wrote: I wonder if that's why I had to go so high with the bac (245 or 3.6 kg/mg) since I am taking Mobic, an anti-inflammatory. Or are you saying it goes the other direction?

Comment

Baclofen and surgery

Sorry about putting 2 threads up. I posted 1 and it never came up so I posted a second and the both came up. I contacted Admin last Sunday but no one got back to me. I go in for surgery in nine days, I'm at 300mg per day and my doctor has quote "You have to stop Baclofen medication from now until surgery, in light of possible appointment on 22 Aug" Bac still makes me feel horrible, I still drink and now this. Dont tell me to see the Doctor because I have. I've had a gut full. 300 mg of a muscle relaxant per day nausea, vomiting, a constant pressure in my head, nightmares, Dropping things, forgetfulness, falling asleep at work and in general making a fool of myself. I've been on it for over 2 months, I've gone up slowly and now this.

Comment

Working...
                    X