BAC p.r.n.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAC p.r.n.

As I really don't like taking drugs...uhh yeah as we all know that is the pot calling the kettle black, but I've been trying to administer BAC prn. Every day just about the bewitching hour I take either 10mgs or 25mgs. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. My observation is that starting at about 3pm....ok let me clarify my drinking pattern first. Used to be an every other day binger, now an everyday modder...anyway, cravings are cravings, but since taking the Bac on schedule every day at the same specific time, my symptoms have increased for BAC...not so much cravings i.e. for alcohol, but I start craving the BAC at around 3pm to 3:30pm. I start feeling funny....out of sorts, almost like off-balance feeling. Until I take the dosage. I think that is weird. On the other hand, I have no desire for alcohol and then other times I do, but not an overwhelmingly amount. My only problem is that I don't like the feeling that it commands me to take a pill around 3-4pm.

I understand that this is not the way to administer it, and I also understand that it is not addictive, however tell my addictive mind that.

Everything I need is within me!

BAC p.r.n.

In pain treatment there is a concept of taking a regular dose of pain medicine at a determined schedule so that the blood levels of the pain reliever are steady. This allows the patient to not have to worry that they will feel more pain or suffering. It sort of levels them out so they don't have the highs and lows that either pain or fear of pain or pain relief gives. This may be why bac is generally given in divided doses so that the anticipation of the next dose is diminished. You may want to divide the dose to get a steady level. There is some rational to this.
    Also some cravings can occur so fast that the cortex doesn't have time to process them before they are acted upon. Again the baclofen slows the "go-go" brain long enough for the neocortex to get the upper hand. If you wait for cravings you may not have that benefit.
    There are likely many ways to take the drug for it to work
    Good Luck
    Sunny

Comment

BAC p.r.n.

For me, when I used to get cravings, it depended on how much baclofen I took like 2-3 days before. PRN doses didn't help me, even doses of like 150 mgs. And when they came, it took 2-3 days at a higher dose before they abated.

If I don't keep myself at a high dose (even though I may feel fine that day with a lower one) then I start to get the symptoms and feelings that I see other people describe e.g.: "Bac is not a cure," "I can drink through it if I want to," "I get the feelings but they're easy to brush aside," "It's a tool, but not a silver bullet."
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

BAC p.r.n.

Sorry, what's a PRN dose?

Comment

BAC p.r.n.

PRN means Pro re nata, a latin medical term used to mean "as the situation arises" / "take as needed"

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Working...
          X