Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and starting Topa and with a question

OK this is silly now!!!

No I wont get the book I will be patient and wait and watch the dvd's damn this compulsive shopping

Comment

I don't know. Can you afford both?
      It depends - if you hate Jamie, swop it.
      But if you are not a big reader, keep it.

OK firstly I think it’s agreed that I need to get a life.

But I live online lately as my bf is online and I’m working all the time and I’m starting another health business online and frankly because I stopped drinking and I have a lot of energy I don’t know what else to do with myself.

So what do you think of my two brand spanking new logos?

And lastly, I have a suggestion which I hope you will all agree to.

This thread is starting to bug me as it’s getting to big and bulky and no one really knows what its about. Could we perhaps rename it Topamax Regulars Support Group April and then make a new thread for every month? That way we don’t have to wade through months of old crap. If you don’t want the month thing, can we at least start afresh now or on May Day? I’ll rest with what the majority decides.

If I get a few Yay’s I’ll start a thread and post the forwarding link here.

Go safe and prosper my friends.

XOX

Comment

OK firstly I think it’s agreed that I need to get a life.

But I live online lately as my bf is online and I’m working all the time and I’m starting another health business online and frankly because I stopped drinking and I have a lot of energy I don’t know what else to do with myself.

So, what do you think of my lovely new logos?

And lastly, I have a suggestion and I really really hope you will like it.

This thread is starting to bug me as it’s getting to big and bulky and no one really knows what its about. Could we perhaps rename it Topamax Regulars Support Group April and then make a new thread for every month? That way we don’t have to wade through months of old crap. If you don’t want the month thing, can we at least start afresh now or on May Day? I’ll rest with what the majority decides.

If I get a few Yay’s I’ll start a thread and post the forwarding link here.

Go safe and prosper my friends.

XOX

Comment

I dont want to go making decisions like that, Im new here so I will go where you all go. The only problem I can see with it is confusion, and people missing out on the back posts. Im not sure how I came to join this thread even but I liked the fact that after joining I could read back to try and catch up and get to know everyone a bit. There are also the peeps who dont post but get help by reading the threads. What Im saying is that I worry that it might loose continuity. I will be honest and say I dont like the new thread every month idea, that has no continuity, ok I will shut up now on that, really it is up to the peeps who have been on here a while I think. but I am loving this thread.:h considering I wasnt going to say anthing I went and said a lot didnt I, I hope no one minds

Im still pretty much the same, Im also spending lots of time on here, but it helps me so much so thats ok then. I do think I probably waffle on about nothing much but its way better than drinking, or being in my own head. I have spent most of the week in the house tho and next week I need to try and get myself back out and about again.

:lxxx

Comment

oh and the little panda is cute, I like that one, but there again my kids say Im a kid so maybe the other one is more grown up

Comment

Dizzy, you are a real driving force on this thread. Hope a new startup works.
              I'll be calling Sun a bit later, and will update you. I told her daughter how much she means to everyone, and to tell her about her thread and all the concern.
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Dizzy, one of the reasons I am doing well, even though it's been only 3 days is because I can get online here and see that you have posted, given good advice and you care. So if you think you don't have a life, think again because you have been a big part of my decision to get and stay sober. Thank you, dear friend
                :hitme:
                Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Here is a link about the 1st big study in regards to Topamax being used as an alcohol anti-craving med. Addiction Inbox: Topamax for Alcoholism: A Closer Look

I believe the owner of this site based part of the MWO program from this research. Thus why she herself chose personally to take Topamax. The drug for some people can either reduce your intake or help a person abstain. I guess it's a matter of personal choice.

Been struggling the last couple wks & again today. Increased my dosage 25mg in AM. Hope I don't get sinus headaches like last wk. Wrote battle out in journal & feel somewhat better mentally.

My previous AF success stints were done mainly without Topa & done either alone, at OP-Rehab & at AA. OP-Rehab two months. Model based on Motivational Interviewing. Basically I call it practicing Mindfullness ~ Awareness. CBT & DBT Therapies were also intertwined in. A bit like Smart Recovery. I had my most successful & longest AF time of almost 8 months combining Topa, AA, a woman's church recovery group. I also attended a couple of Smart Recovery meetings, which I liked. But at that time my job & home life were very demanding. My next goal for f2f support when I'm ready will be Sobriety for Woman. Frankly, I think this is where I should have gone yrs ago, but shoudas, woulda's get ya no where. I can't think that way anymore! When I do I shut the door quickly on those thoughts.

Reflecting back I do believe that Topa is the key ingredient & the reason for my long term AF time. Back in 2007-08 when this was occurring. Tho I do believe support in any form can be helpful. In my case adjacent with my Topa rings success.

I'm not what I consider to be a fanatic or radical Christian. I don't affiliate myself to any denomination. However, I do believe in God, Jesus & Holy Spirit. I am trying to re-connect & have a personal relationship with him. I believe in him & his purpose. I'm grateful for his mercy & grace! I do need it! I hadn't been to church since I was a kid minus a few X-mas & Easter celebrations. It was my youngest daughter who pleaded with me for many months 2 go to this very hip church back when I was trying Topa for the 1st time. The leaders of this recovery group weren't alkies/addicts. One of them was a very self righteous, hurtful woman. That I had the displeasure of meeting. Many of us left. Well, not the ones who didn't have addiction problems. Just be cause u call ur self a christian means nothing IMO. This all happened along time ago. I've forgiven her & moved on.

I'm now reconsidering the idea of attending church. Tho I don't plan on attending CR Groups tried those too. Or telling anyone about my alcohol problems if I go to church. I also don't preach or Bible thump. In fact mines pretty dusty. I'm a no saint!... In fact I'm a rebel. I'm no goody 2 shoes. Yet, I feel very blessed that I have my beliefs & have a foundation to build on.

As for AA. I have been thru those doors a few hundred times, over the last decade. There is good & bad. I haven't been to a meeting for almost 3 yrs. I'm not sure if i will ever go back. But, I'm glad to know they r there if I chose to return. It does amaze me that the BB was written so many yrs ago & when ever I've read it, I do relate.

There r pros & cons. There r different dynamics, temperatures at locations. Tradition #3, I think. Plus people r people. Even these on-line forums have cliques. It's human nature. I'm not sure at times if it helped me or hurt me more. I tend to go back & fourth. But, I'd say over all that I'm glad that they exist. I learned many great life tools there. Things that I still use today. I don't want to sway any one way from trying them or any other f2f meetings. Along with Counseling, meds or anything that will help them find their way out!....

The thing I liked the least is the way I saw many people being treated who'd slipped or relapsed. Being called a re-tread IMO is unacceptable. That is just one example. In their defense they r not a religious organization. They r a spiritual fellowship. There aren't many places on Earth where Atheists, Agnostics, Muslims, Buddhists, & Christians from every denomination come together with out arguing about their beliefs. As their primary purpose is to stay sober & help others achieve sobriety.

Many AA'ers & church go'ers miss a very important component of addiction. That for many people this is a physical disease, a brain disease, not just a spiritual, emotional, mental one. Science has proven this with technology. Thankfully, we have meds to help us that suffer from this part of it. More research is being developed & new ones are also on the horizon.

By the way. I was honest with my church lady friends, my AA friends including my sponsor about Topamax usage back in those years & both groups slammed my ass to the ground. They didn't care that it helped me get & stay sober, made me feel normal. Oh that it saved my life. That my family was happy. Oh u don't need that. You just need God.

Stupid me I listened to all of them. I slowly tirated down & I relapsed for 3 years. Most of which has been nothing but a F*cking Nightmare! I think the God of my own understanding would say other wise. I will never tell anyone ever again. It's none of their damn business. It's not my fault that they r ignorant & not open minded!

Ya know my HP knows this & ya know what I think, if Bill W. were alive I have a feeling he'd love MWO & approve of all this new science & meds that are helping us find a way to live better lives free from the grips of alcohol~ addiction. In fact I think there is no wrong way of getting sober!...

Comment

Oh as 4 a new start up. Hmmm. I'm with Space on this one. I like that it's all in the same place. There's too much good info. I'm afraid it will get lost. Hidden away like a lost sunken treasure. I think we should wait & hear from those who've been posting on this thread for a long time.

Comment

OMG: "Willie chillies"?! too funny!!

Comment

Hi Friends,
                        Thanks for being here, it helps alot, I have not received my new supply of topa and that is fine because I'm trying to give it some time in hopes that it will be almost like starting over and have a hugh success again.

Dizzy, as for dismantling this thread and starting a new one, my vote is to keep this one going as it is. I am by no means a long-timer on this thread, but have been on it for a few months. In the beginning, I had read the MWO book and thought about taking Topa but was very scared. Because I was able to read thru the posts on this thread from the beginning, I was able to see how Topa affected other people, how much it helped or didn't help, what to expect, dosage and titrating up, and in general just found that it gave me the courage to go ahead and try the medication. It was a hugh success for me and of course has had its ups and downs and I am soon starting on Topa again.

So, I would say that, of course you are free to start another thread, whatever name that you want, and go with it, but I would hope that you would not deter people from reading on this one. I owe alot to this thread, sometimes it is barely there, and other times it is "big and bulky", and actually the "big and bulky" is what we old-timers are hoping for, to keep it going, to give new-comers a place to start and become part of a community.

Ok, that's my take on it, but of course everyone is welcome to go in whatever direction seems to "fit" for them.

Love and Hugs,
                        Play

Comment

Zoooooooooooooooooom………………….
                          Drive - by Posting ……….

SUN! So happy to hear you are OK! WHEW! I am keeping up on my YUCKY drink but not going near that tofu idea any near in the future dear. LOL

Home so late from work are have been so busy and no time to read, already past my bedtime here as already almost 9 PM ! HA!

This is getting SERIOUS! I caught myself whistling twice today! *laughing at self* Last 3 days have been 2 -3 glass glasses without struggle. Some thought put into it, but something IS happening!

Will catch will all in the morning as I have the weekend off before all the chaos begins again next weekend.

Love and hugs to all … and special thoughts and prayers to our Sun ….

“Topa, Topa Cabana ……..”

Comment

I have seriously logged onto this site 4 times tonight. Why can't we just "post a quick reply" regardless if it takes 5 or 20 minutes?! I don't get it. Anyway -

Dizzy - you are hilarious! plus doing so well & so happy for you! As are Wildflowers/Mimi/Space/WTE! So good to read everyone's posts. So glad Sunny is on the mend and hope we hear from her soon!

My most recent lost post described my beloved 79 yo aunt who is struggling in a rehab hospital after parts of her stomach and bowel were removed this week. Years of heavy drinking and smoking resulted in absesses (?)...it's a sad situation. I am well aware of my family history - my mother died suddenly 10 years ago of toxic shock that DRs thought was AL related...and now my favorite aunt who has drinked and smoked to excess her whole life...I am going to see her Sunday and hope I will have some shock-therapy as a result.

I honestly don't think I have or am at present drinking in the same capacity as my mother or her sister...but still. Here I am...not a smoker like my aunt. blahblahblah. Thinking about all this with Sunny and everything else...

Comment

Oh - and I quote Ruby, very simple yet profound: "Make a plan and work it as if your life depended upon it. It does."

Spoke to me -

Comment

No worries. If it aint broke don’t fix it. We’re the longest thread on the meds board and lets keep writing til its fall over or til we reach the Guinness book of records. I just had trouble accessing it on my (not so) smart phone but I figured out a way around it. I like the *lost sunken treasure* bit. Hopefully not too lost or sunken LOL.

I just sent my bf a birthday message and it started nice but it ended up quite full of bile. Now I feel like an ass. We always just fight about one thing – him not communicating with me enough. It drives me nuts. Its got to the point where I email the estate agents to tell them to phone him to arrange times as I know its quicker than to wait for a reply. Argh. And its not like he doesn’t want to be with me, he just retreats in times of stress but for godssakes his 6000 miles away already.

Sunny - I'm with Ruby, when are you coming back you big poser? Making us do all the hard work? I miss you honey and am thinking and sending you healing thoughts every waking moment, promise. :h

Thanks Space for commenting on my logos (as for those who didnt comment – tsk) the panda one is for my blog so that can be a bit cutsie. The other one will be printed on cotton tags that will be connected to hessian string that will go on the hemp drawstring bags the hippies will use to sprout their beans in. So that has to look a bit more adult. But I love the panda too. Well I love both, I chose the images and worked with the designer until it was perfect IMO. The business is more for fun, I dont' need the money to survive so its OK to try it out.

Oh and you came here as you first replied on a thread I had on combining Topa with antabuse and I said something about All-One. You made a drive by post about Topa to the UK and something must’ve caught your eye as you didn’t leave And I’m ever so glad you did. Made a decision on those dvd’s /books? Hope I’m not feeding your Amazon addiction – LOL.

As you are in my advanced class (Houtx is still in kindergarten) I can show you how to open a Flickr account if you like then you can post a pic of your garden or a cake some time. In fact would everyone please consider this? I don't want you to post pics that will ruin your anonymity if thats what bugs you but a pic of a doggie or a garden or a cake or whatever every now and again would be super. Its very simple to open a Flickr or Photobucket account (unless you are still struggling to cut and paste...ahem) then I'll tell you what else to do. (See pic of my garden below)

Ah thank you so much Rubes
                                , you’re such an inspiration. Without you we wouldn’t even know any of this. Like most people aren’t sure what our thread is really about I wasn’t sure what yours was about and I wouldn’t have known to look for Sunny’s other friends there. I miss little sunny weirdo already (she finds it entertaining when I call her weird)

See, this is what Maxamaui looked like when he was a wee one.
                                Canny resemblance to your avatar, no?

Mimi
                                , you made me cry again but this time it was happy tears. I’m not sure what other changes have taken place in your life but you have grown. You went from not being certain and plodding along to giving this all you got and I’m so proud of you. Thank you for being here and thank you for being my friend. I do have a life, I just meant I should go out more Are we on day FAB FOUR
                                today?

Wild/strong>, so glad you’re back. I think Topamax made it really hard for me to enjoy alcohol. I would have to work really really hard to drink daily now. Not that I want to. For me drinking now is like drinking flu medicine, it makes me sleepy and groggy and I wake up feeling sleepy and groggy. The addict in me hates this but my life force rejoices and is dancing on the addicts grave. I fear that if I stop taking Topa the cravings will come back and I’m not sure if the second time round will be the same. I’m not a doom sayer but I do plan to fall pregnant in the next 3 years and you are not allowed to take Topa when expecting as it causes birth defects.

With regards to what you said about religion, it is something I wanted to mention as I do think I mentioned something slightly anti Christian and anti AA before. I grew up in a very Christian household, my dad being a minister. I believe in God but I believe in a universal God and not a secular one. Could we all perhaps agree on not making religion an issue here? Can we talk about it like grown ups when it comes up. (Well, sure we can, silly Dizzy, no one has fought about it in all the years you weren’t here)

I know you weren’t doing that at all Wild. From your Namaste etc. I gather that you like me take the good out of a variety of various aspects. It was just something I had to get off my chest. Don’t take this the wrong way but just please don’t let the church group ladies bully you into anything. My one friend used to do yoga and reiki with me and after she was diagnosed with bipolar she got into church big time and they have now convinced her that those to elements are pure evil. Never mind that she used yoga as excercise and is much more unhappy without it...

I didn’t really like AA as no one in the local group was my age. And although I get along fine with people from all age groups it is nice to have one or two your age you can have a coffee and a bitch with every once a while. So I joined NA and their groups was actually cool and their stories more exciting... I had a slimming pill addiction for a year which makes me a candidate for NA too.

I also hated that relapse judgement thing. And even if they say they don't you have to tell everyone how many days every time and you resent going after a relapse. I actually didn’t tell anyone for a week as I just couldn’t face it. And I say baloney to both your church group and AA friends for being so closed minded about Topamax. Argh! Makes me so angry! If you weren’t so far I would drive by and slap them. Those people mean well but they often don’t read much further than the big book and the other big book Topa is the first thing that made me happy in 12 years and me and my God love it just fine.

I actually want to write an article about the ‘rehab myth’ No thats not why I joined this site and no, I won’t mention any of you unless you beg me to - ha!. Rehab was traumatic to me and waaaay overpriced. I would like people in SA to know about the option of Topa, Bac etc. So many people are still living in the dark ages. Rehabs also tells you that AA is the only way and that is not strictly true now is it. I mean topa is working for me and they refuse to believe that this is possible. Humbug I tell ya!

Part of my veggie garden: Bright light swiss chard, oreganum, chillies, geranium, rocket... Its not perfectly tended like Sun's garden probably is but I love it.

Playarooney
                                – Well I for one just love being here. I can’t wait for you to start the topa and to see you making progress again. I know you did last time. And I'll make sure this thread keeps active even if I have to type my little hands to stumps. LOL.

WTE – Don’t you want to adopt a poor (but not so) starving African child? Ha! I saw a skit where this 20-year old was asking Brangelina to adopt him, it was funny. Be careful as even though your mood says worried you may discover that you are more chipper than normal! 2-3 glasses! Wow, 100mg may be close to your magic dose but I guess for that to happen the morning thoughts have to go. You go girl! PS: Perhaps we should open our own “Topa, Topa Cabana … Ha!” thread - LOL.

Houtx – You still haven’t told me whaddahell houtx is. (Not quite as weird as Sisyphus56...) Trust me the quick reply is just an evil decoy button. ALWAYS use the Post Reply button
                                it takes the same amount of time!. The quick reply is exactly the same as reply except that it will bite you in the ass by making you sign in if your reply isn’t quick. Geddit??? It seems Roberta Jewell has a sense of humour after all - ha!

Now, little lady... (I laugh in the face of danger -ha! ha!) have we ordered our Topa yet or am I going to have to get WTE to force feed you some? I’m going to need a home teacher for my kiddies in a few years time and there will be no drinking (or dying!!) on the job, you hear!? You take care of yourself love, especially considering what happened with your mom and aunt. A big hug just for you.

Oh and I did start a thread for Topa Success Stories, so if you consider yourself a successful Topa user, please add a post about yourself here to serve as inspiration to the newbies:
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ml#post1301174

Cheery byes

XOX

Comment

Working...
                                X