No announcement yet.

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have been waiting for anyone to show up. The days are long and I feel so tired. So enjoying the long weekend and am getting lots done. 21 teaching days left and it is suppose to be hot. Lovely, hot days dripping with children that don't want to be there. The are a lovely class and I will miss them but they are sick of each other and fight.
    Since it has been hot I haven't been to the gym and feel worse about myself and have been drinking more. I wish I could just leave this demon. Sun what is up with you and the move. Let's try to keep informed, I need you all.

Comment

Hi Meggie. That's a lot of teaching left! I always forget how late into summer school goes, when the college semester is already well over by now. Though the summer session is coming up and I have a class to teach that starts next weekend. And I really need to finish the syllabus - I've been putting it off and drinking way too much and it's about time for me to sober up and get down to work. For me, and to save my relationship. Hang in there, sweetie.

Comment

Originally posted by meggie View Post
        Well, I have been waiting for anyone to show up.
        Meggie - I DID show up - look at the last post on the previous page !!! Absolutely zonked .... back in a day or so,

Hugs, Sun x
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Poor Meggie - Some schools go way too long! Our year is over next week, thank God. Hope to get on w/ summer school - but ugh, it's the dregs. I hear ya about the kids fighting and just being antsy! It's the pits. I hate children! lol

Sun, safe travels! Hi DZ! Stuck, I'm sure you'll you do what you need to do. So much going on w/ me...more later. Just trying to get through. Happy it's a nice long weekend. My daughter graduated from college, we are having too much rain & I've been practicing my golf game a lot in spite of it. Got some interesting stuff going on w/ 2 guys...la vida loca!

I've been drinking Vino Verde, which is slightly effervescent and lighter than the usual stuff. Lots of different varieties - but cheaper and good. Trader Joe's has a couple of good ones. I like it. Not really trying to make changes - ok for now.

Comment

Hi there

I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the long weekend.

I have to work today to try and keep up with my freelance writing but I don't really mind. I don't really mind as hb has been a real ass lately and bugging me about getting a job. I've been sober for a week, working daily, updating my portfolio and going to the gym whereas he is chugging whiskey in the study, which smells to high heaven. The study has a bed and he works and often sleeps there. I actually don't mind, as I find it much easier to sleep on my own than with a snoring man next to me.

Part of the reason he's so grumpy is because we bought a house and he's not to sure he's contract will be renewed after 8 weeks. The mortgage, however, is 3 times less than our current rent, so it would be OK if we're prepared to move so far west and further from London. He can be a real bully when he's drunk, which makes it harder for me to be sober, but thank goodness for Antabuse, eh? I wish he'll just get out of his cave, sober up and take a freaking shower so that we can plan what we're going to do with the new house. It seems so much more productive than to brood about how long it has taken me to find a job. Anyone here able to change the past? God, it drives me nuts.

Sorry, just had to vent a bit.

Sun, how is your mum doing? You've been here recently so I supposed you were worried?

Good luck with the teaching, Meggie. You're almost there.

Houtx, I hope the Vino Verde helps curb things a bit.

Stuck, good luck on preparing for the new class and getting on the wagon again. Drinking vs relationships really sucks.

Space/Medusa - coowee, where are you?

Hugs to all.
            XOX

Comment

So sorry Diz, it is so hard to live with a bully. My husband doesn't drink but he is sick and when he is overtired he takes it out on my daughter and myself. Hang in there.

Comment

Oh DZ, sorry the Hubs is a pain - and to wish he'd take a shower? Ugh - so sorry you & Megz have difficulties with the spouses on occasion. Good for you being sober! Go girl - stay strong! You too, Meggie - I'm about to say yes to a summer school teaching gig: 3rd & 4th Math at an elementary school I taught in years ago. I don't do math, but think I can handle that level. Just need to get job as it's GREAT $$. Hang in there, Meggie!

So no doubt you've all seen Houston in the news about the flooding...we got the day off yesterday due to flooding all over the place. I personally was fine, but a gf had her home flooded w/ 1+" for a couple of hours. They have flood insurance but it's still a pain. The worst story is another good friend had a vacation home in Wimberley between Austin & San Antonio on the Blanco River. It was the cutest house - I've loved staying there many times. It was swept away late Saturday night - she & her husband escaped about an hour before, thinking they'd come back to a flooded house. It got swept away!!!!!! So crazy sad - but all are grateful they escaped. It was just crazy - the Blanco normally flows at about 4-5 ft. Flood lines are at 13'...the river rose to over 40' Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. Beyond my imagination - her house was high on a hill too! Unbelievable how much rain we've had. SOOOOOOOO sick of it.

Lots of other updates w/ the men factors in my life...got a 42 yo who is really nipping at my heels (ehhhhhh - not so sure about that one!); the friend of the HI paying me lots of attention & a couple of get togethers that have been fun; then the guy who dumped me via text message last summer popped up on a website I'm on. Chatting - he apologized profusely & wants to take me out to dinner to make it up to me. HA! Going to be an expensive dinner!! I really liked him, but we shall see...Crazy shit!! When it rains it pours. Literally & figuratively!

I really can't get my head around it. Wondering what's wrong with me that I shy away from any kind of relationship. I feel like a puppeteer or something. And I really don't mean to sound shallow or full of it or however else I may sound. I like the attention and I LOVE men and sex and having fun, but anything deeper makes me shy away. For now...bring me a drink! lol

Tomorrow is the last day for kids!! YAAAAAAAAYYYYY! And the district waived the make-up day we normally would've had to have from missing Tuesday!! YAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!! Thinking I'll chill some bubbly. Keep your fingers crossed this summer school deal comes thru. Hope alls well w/ everyone -
                XO

Comment

Houtx, good to hear from you. I wondered where you were in comparison to all the flooding. We had a flood in this area and it got up to the second floor of some homes. They had to get in boats from the second floor of their homes. Sorry to hear about your friends, sounds horrid.
                  I have a flooded basement, due to my husband not completing what he should have for the winter. I have to redo the basement. And, I do all the work, contacting contractors etc.
                  I remember the guy from last year, he dropped you like a hotcake. Be careful of him, he really grabbed your heart last summer. Enjoy the attention, I would. Being married sucks, the only thing good is having someone else in the house.
                  Good luck with the summer school, I have never taught summer school, but I gather it will not be easy because those kids don't want to be there.
                  You mentioned your daughter graduated last weekend, what is her mapjor. My daughter is having a terrible time finding a job. Lots of interviews and offers for long term sub positions.
                  We have just hired a new head of education for new york. She was fired from Florida and Cuomo wanted her. He is going to destroy public education. It is so scary. Well, off to work. 19 days to go.

Comment

Hello.

Comment

Hi Meggie! I got the summer school job at the elementary school. Today was the first day and I am exhausted!! I spent hours prepping yesterday as I have not taught Math or Science (surprise!!) in 20 yrs. Thankfully, these kids just need remedial help & I have gotten TONS of materials from other teachers. It's going to be a piece of cake, basically w/ 9-10 kids in a morning/afternoon switch w/ another teacher. KA-CHING lots o' $$$$ about to come in too. Do the math: $30/hr x 8/hr day x 20 days = HELLO BANK!! lol

All else is well - been helping my friend clear out her house, nothing new w/ the suitors, got a gf going psycho on me in Austin...no rain in the forecast!! Take care -

Comment

Good for you, didn't you say they were 5th and 6th grade?. There are also some great free math programs on the computer. Our school pays 26 per hour. It used to be based on your pay scale, which would have been about 60 and hour. No more, that didn't last long.
                        These poor kids are just holding on, thank goodness the weather is cool. They are fighting and having difficulty being in my room I still have lots of testing and they are just burnt. These test determine my grade. Don't you also have the APPR.
                        Just getting through. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Hi there

I think if I was a teacher I would try and enjoy every bit of Summer that I can. But I guess the reality sometimes come down to money, and not on time off to finally relax and finish some chores around the house. Good luck with those finishing off school and those starting Summer school - how long is Summer school for?

Things are going better here. We bought the house and went there last weekend. We were forced to talk as we were in an empty house with air mattresses and luckily a fridge and stove. Things seemed better but we'll see, hb went back there on Tuesday and I had the (current rental) house to myself for a while, which was quite relaxing.

I have an interview with Reed tomorrow to help find admin temp jobs. I'm sure there were more of those around ten years ago but perhaps it was because I was living in London, with access to so many different locations. I just need to get some work and personal references, which is a pain, as everyone seems to be taking forever, but I can't moan too much as they're doing me a favour.

Anyway, I just dropped in as I haven't been here in a while, and am of course procrastinating about the writing work I should be doing. *Urgh*

Hugs to all,
                          DX

Comment

Summer is awful for me. No money. No future prospects. I finished my PhD and am now Dr, Stuck, but have no clue what's next. I have a class to teach at a new university, and they just handed me an independent study for one student, very last minute.

I'm just very stressed and drinking too much. I hate everything and I'm not writing, which is the worst.

I wish the summer would be a break from everything. But when there's no promise of money and employment in the fall, that's not the case. Instead of focusing on what I want to do, I'm worrying about money and drinking and my girl leaving me. Ugh.

Comment

Well, diz is doing better and Stuck is stuck. Funny, I gather I am stuck also in a marriage with a sick asshole. I know I will retire soon and need to find something to do. I am not yet 60 but feel so tired all the time. I am spending so much time with my students and all their sad lives. I also have been drinking way too much. Need to get a focus.

Comment

Hang in there, Stuck. I've been in the job hunting phase with on and off drinking too much and worrying about my relationship for a year. The anxiety when I withdraw from AL is the worse. Two days of feeling like crap. But then comes the weekend and I just want to stop worrying and relax and AL sounds ok again. I'm sure you'll find a job if you can do a few weeks AL free, it'll also help on the relationship front.

Meggie, I can't really give advice about assholes I haven't mastered my hb yet If I was you I'd look into teaching English in Thailand (to get away and get perspectives) or being a Skype tutor.

Hugs,
                                DX

Comment

Working...
                                X