Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Be sure that you are eating enough!

And dammit Houston throw some weights around!!

Tips from the Lo0pster
    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
    :what?:
    sigpic
    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
    A Forum
    Trolls need not apply

Comment

Hi Houtx-
      ((((HUGS)))) I've had a variety of similar frustrations in the past (not related to Topa) and have done a fair amount of research. Loop is right - too few calories (especially when exercising) can do as much, if not more, damage as too many - and weights are hugely important. And then there is the lovely and very irritable balance of the women's body and estrogen and the biggest weight loss component of all - the LIVER. The estrogens and the liver are related. Women's body's with improper estrogen balances have difficulty releasing weight. Women's bodies with liver damage or congestion (or anyone's body, for that matter) have difficulty releasing weight. There are various camps that believe strongly in the power of liver cleansing for weight loss and overall health benefits. Of course this requires a week or more of diet modification, AF (!!!), supplements etc. I take a few supplements to help cleanse the liver without doing the whole crazy detox. You could try that route.
      How many calories, including wine, do you think you're taking in in a day? What type and how long are you exercising every day? Are you on any other meds? I agree that it is HUGELY frustrating to struggle day after day after day and not see any results. We'll get to the bottom of this!!!!
      And Mum, sigh, I love that song.
      "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

Can I join?

Your thread really speaks to me...I've been lurking this site off and on for a while, and consistently for a couple of weeks. Started Topa on Tuesday, today is day 3, and got my supplements yesterday.

Hubbie has been traveling a lot, and I was unemployed for 11 months. Seems like it was during that period I really ramped up my wine intake. (Plus, hubby owns a liquor store-THE PERFECT STORM!). So, if he's gone, I feel "free" to drink as much as I want. Well, I don't like who I was becoming, so here I am.:new:

Comment

:welcome: Sassy

I'm kind of new too. Only been here for 5 weeks, and people have been so kind and helpful. You'll feel that too!

Comment

:welcome: Sassy! How are you feeling on the Topa? Any SEs yet? The first week was tough for me. And which supplements are you going to take? How much wine are you drinking?

Incidentally, I have the tummy flu today (was up all night...lovely) so tonight will certainly be AF for me. Maybe I can start a pattern...
            "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

2Run, going back to the HH. I have a question. You said in the other thread that you haven't noticed any effect in your runs from the topiramate. I want to insist you on the sweating. You sweat the same amount as before taking the topa?
              I want to go back to working out, but I'm a little concerned because of the less sweating SE I'm having.
              I really don't know why exactly but I'm a little scared. Maybe I'd only need to be careful and take additional fluids before and during exercise and avoid direct excesive sunlight.

Comment

Hi Airam-
                I absolutely understand what you're saying and why you would be so concerned. Overheating is certainly a dangerous thing and is listed as a side effect of topa due to your body's inability to cool itself down through sweating.
                I really haven't noticed a decrease in sweating that I can say. When you say you feel you are sweating less, is it sweating related to heat or sweating related to nerves or hormones? My HH was more the nerves and hormones. The underarm sweating was often when I wasn't at all hot. Anyway, maybe you would find the sweating with exercise affected differently?
                Not being able to exercise would be a deal breaker for me though. What I would do if I were you is take it very, very slowly. The general hydration rule I follow for marathon training is to drink lemon water upon waking until your output is clear and then continue with 8oz lemon water every 8oz for the remainder of the day. I would think that signs that you're not sweating properly would be of course if you seem to be sweating significantly less but if you are redder than usual, dizzy, very, very hot, nauseous etc. And yes, drinking a lot while you are exercising would be really important too. It sounds like you know what to look for and know your body well while exercising. How much water are you drinking now? Topa is really dehydrating. Could you maybe just not be drinking quite enough? That might explain the sweating. On topa I think I drink more than 200oz a day, especially on days I run...

Comment

Thank you 2Run. 200oz!! That's a lot! Very good! I think I drink about 120oz (3.5liters) every day besides the wine, beer, whatever.

Before Topa I used to sweat when I wasn?t hot at all, esp my face, head and underarms.
                  Now I only sweat a little from my underarms and I control that with an antiperspirant.

Yesterday was a very warm day in my city, normally I would have damped my shirt in the back and my hair would almost be dripping wet from walking two blocks, but yesterday: nothing. Just a few drops in my forehead and upperlip. Like everyone else.
                  I was feeling well. Very well I must say. Sweating has always been a very uncomfortable thing for me.

I'll follow your advice 2Run. I?ll drink more water and if I start working out I'll take it very, very slowly. Thank you very much.

Comment

Hiya girls (and Lo0p, if you're lurking...)
                    Oh houtx, I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't lost much weight on topa either -- maybe 3-4 lbs, but I'm too scared to weigh myself after the bac experience. I'm not cutting calories like you are, tho. I have no advice for you on that except to ask if you've had your thyroid checked. And YES, you have been so kind and supportive with everyone else through TSM, baclofen and now topa. You know yourself, but it seems to me that topa has helped you the most. Or am I just reading into things?

WTE, haha, you're right about trying to quit with 4 teenagers in the house (3 of them girls!) What am I thinking?! As far as the Latisses, I have light eyes and haven't had a problem. I have heard that those with hazel eyes are the most affected -- their eyes *possibly* could turn brown. As far as your dosage, if you are fine at 50/50, I'd stay there till you get back. I'm zapped at 150mg.

2Run, I don't know where you get the energy to exercize. I am SO tired from the topa, all I want to do is sleep. The times I have dragged myself to the gym just made me more tired. Aaargh! I used to be so dedicated.

Sun, I don't have tingling either. I'm up to 150. Should I? I can also still taste carbonation. I was on topa about a year and a half ago for about 3 weeks (stopped b/c I wasn't under a doctor's care and was afraid of the vision thing), but I clearly remember soda tasting flat. Doesn't your Guiness taste yuk? Like WTE said, chardonnay is starting to taste like vinegar to me. Sometimes the thought of it makes my stomach churn. But my habit still takes me there anyway....for now.

Comment

Day 3 on topa and tired

I feel tired today..had every intention of hitting the gym tonight, but have a couple more minutes of work then home. Yes, I'm still drinking wine, but less. Partly because it seems I should, partly it doesn't taste as good. I has maybe 2 glasses of red left last night, which I had, but wanted more. Had a good chard in the fridge, opened it, drank a glass, but YUCK!. White has never been my favorite, but really, YUCK!

Supps: All One, Kudzu (but I think I'm going to stop-I think it makes me dizzy/headachy), L-Glut (capsules for now, I'll get the powder), Milk Thistle, Evening Primrose Oil. Everything the book says. Got my Topa scrip on Tuesday, like I said, and have 2 hypno downloads (I've only listed to 1 of them yet, but it's good).

Hopefully SE's will diminish.

Comment

Sassy-
                        where did you get the hypno downloads? This site? All I could see was the CDs... Thanks!

H4B - I hear you on the running...it's tough to talk myself into it everyday but I've always been sort of obsessive with it and it's also the only time I get to myself everyday sincey kids are 2 and 4 and totally exhausting!! That sounds bad but it's the only thing that's "mine."

Comment

Quick note, I just wanted to address the hair loss issue in case anyone is experiencing this SE. My dr. put me on men's Rogaine foam and I am noticing less shedding. I've only been on it a couple weeks and it's supposed to take at least a month to take any effect, with 4-6 months maximum effect. It's not unpleasant but it does make your hair a little sticky till you brush it out. Beats going bald though.

Comment

Oh hout - I am so sorry that you are feeling so cross about everything - you have been on the Topa for 2 months now? Time goes quickly! What are you up to? As far as the weight loss- I hate to say this, but Topa doesn't affect everyone the same - it isn't really for weight loss! (I am glad I am not within firing range). I have no idea what your weight it - what it should be, what you are trying to lose- if you have tried to lose weight before, you KNOW that when you starve the body, it hangs on to every calorie. At the risk of escalating your ire even more - this is for stopping AL. Stop worrying about your weight. One thing at a time. Worry about the Al first. I know - right now, I should stop talking. Sorry - I have always been one to open mouth and insert foot. but I luv ya anyway!! LOL

Sassylassy - lovely to hear from you again - I am so pleased that you are doing okay. Wow - hubs owns a liquor store! that must make things doubly hard.

2run - sorry about your tummy flu - but as you said, it takes care of AL for you the next day!!

I am not being good at all - having my 3 or 4 Guinness every night - even one night when my body said "NO" - I had the first one and after that the rest were easy! I need to get my head in gear with the Topa here. My doc gave me some Naltrexone but I have been scared to take any. I also have Antabuse which I am also scared to take. I have a wonderful doc but I am a wimp. Or a dedicated drinker. Not such a LOL

Hugs to all

sun XX
                            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

download source

I got my download from hypnosisdownloads.com...the man is scottish or irish sounding, but pleasant... it cost me $12.50...bargain.

Comment

Thx for the comments all - I was just hoping to lose 10 and then ~SNAP~ the desire for AL would shut off too. Ya know, a basic miracle like everything else. The only thing I've gotten is the lingering tiredness, the tingles and anything carbonated tastes flat. So I'm just ticked (or was when I posted) that I have the stupid SEs and not the good ones or the off label intended one. I plan to move on up though, on Monday.

Sun - I pm'd you. Thanks for the good cheer & support!

H4B, how do you take your Rogain? GAWD, the very idea of doing that...in that I am taking the vitamin regime, I may as well mix in soime Rogaine just in case.

LoOp, I have lifted weights for years. I am a gym rat. Although I am currently bored with the routine, thinking I will switch to some classes. I'm not buff like you are...but I think I look ok for a woman my age :-)) I could certainly stand to lose 10 POUNDS, TOPA Genie, in time for my occasions next month!!!~sigh~ Oh! and, yes, last night I ate...woke up 2 lbs lighter! LOL gotta feed the fire, I guess!

2Run, sorry you're feeling bad!

Always good to hear from Sassy, Airum, and the rest!

Comment

Working...
                                X