New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone - just returned from Italy. Sounds like I'm not alone in the travelling! I was not very good - I find it very difficult to maintain my discipline when I travel - from the free alcohol in the airport lounges to the free alcohol on the plane. I wasn't as bad as I usually am, so hopefully the Topa helped a bit. How did the rest of you do? I tried to change my routine a bit to help with the consumption. But when in Italy, I loved the beer on tap, and of course they drank wine at lunch, and I don't even like wine but felt compelled to join in. Sun - thanks for posting the All One code - I found it terribly expensive and wondered how I would continue to buy it. July - I probably overlapped you in Germany a bit, mostly at airports! Sun - have a great time in the UK!!! On another subject, I've continued with therapy, but haven't decided what I think of it yet. It is helping with my relationship, but not with the alcohol. The therapist brought up not drinking for the rest of my life, which just irritated me because that always seems to be the first reaction. And, she so far doesn't say much, just listens to be talk, which for $120 an hour, I can get in a lot of places. I may ask her next week what the plan is - just me talking, or will she be offering me some strategies...I don't know - do you guys have any experience with this? It seems my last therapist guided me a little more.

Comment

Ah yes therapists, have always hankered for a good one but never found one. The first one fell in love with my boyfriend and so took his side, the second was useless after I went through a trauma and I dropped her. I felt like I knew more than she did.... how is that!? I was 30 at the time so I guess that could just be youth talking or I was just more knowledgable than she was. I could have helped her more than she helped me, for sure. At least that was how I felt at the time. Alcoholic remembrances ... how accurate are they, afterall?

I"m not doing all that well on the AL front myself Mid.

Comment

Thanks Bruun! Love the new pic too... I will hold out a bit more with the therapist because I tend to not quit so easily (ha including the alcohol) but may ask her intentions for a plan. Even if she says she is just going to listen at least that is a plan.

Comment

Good for you M, I hope it works out. I have friends who have benefited greatly, I just happened upon crapass therapists. I know great gifted people are out there in droves now, even in the guise of hypnotherapy guides!

Peace out.

Comment

Hi Bruun and Mid,

Bruun, love your spooky new avatar. Very festive. I'm doing all right. I think I'm ready to switch to the All-One. I used it before with my first go-around with topa several years ago. (I still have CDs which I will be dusting off also) The 7 Days is just tooo much supps for me to gag down! I'm only doing half.

I did ok this weekend. Tomorrow I'll be going up on my topa. We did go out (hubby and me)to a fundraiser at a bar! I had 2 beers-they tasted like crap. I kept asking everyone if their beer was flat=then I remebered it was probably the topa. It did keep me to only 2! I wish beer was my bev of choice!

Midnight, I know what you mean with the free booze when traveling! Not even buckled in and it's wine time! As far as therapsits, I had 1 good one and one mediocre one. I gauged the good therapist by holding me accountble and guiding me through strategies. The last therapist just seemed to validate my feelings. I understand what you're saying. Good drs are hard to find.

Have a good day all. I'm gonna go dig out my CDs and order the All-One. I'll look back for that code.

Comment

Thanks Midnight, yours is a year-round kind of fitting avi, isn't it. Although we were cats together and shall yet again be. Have a good day - the AllOne is at Vitacost for cheaper I think. Check it out. They don't take the coupon code from here but I'd compare the shipping if the price is the same.

Good deal on the two beers! Cheers.

Comment

Hello everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

I ve seeing a therapist and taking medication with moderate success.
                What I mean is that I still drink every day but drink very little when I take my medications (about 2 drinks a day ).
                Sometimes my body and my mind "rebel" and stop the drugs (silly), consequently, I start drinking TOO much.
                After a few days of extra binge drinking, I start taking my pills religiously again, and go back to controlled drinking
                This may sound good for some, but it s not enough for me. I want to be free again. No pills, no alcohol, no doctors. Never again. Is that ever going to happen?

Today my Dr changed the antidepressant. Now I m going to take Celexa instead of fluoxetine. Does anyone have some insight on this medication?
                I m taking : 20mg citalopram, 25 mg naltrexone, 25 mg topiramate, 25 mg alprazolam. I don t know if I would be able to stop the alcohol completely increasing those doses, but when I ve tried, I am like a zombie all day (maybe that s better than being hungover, IDK)

Hugs to everyone. I always think of you. :thanks:

Comment

AIRAM - wonderful to see you !! I am on Celexa - no time right now to reply right now as I am getting ready for work. Will reply to you and to everyone else this evening. Love and hugs to all,

sun XX
                  How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sorry everyone - no time in the end last night - am packing right now for my trip to UK. leave in about an hour. Will see you all next week - be good!

hugs, Sun XX
                    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

topa and mods

Hi all
                      I'm on Day 24 of my 30 day abstinence plan, and trying to get my head together to have wine (instead of the other way around). I've never gone past 75 mg topa/day, as I haven't had cravings. Do I increase or decrease the dosage - stay the same and see what happens? How long have you been on meds and moderating?

Any suggestions on a plan???? When I started, I decided not to make a plan until I had a clear head, and I'm beginning to have one. Haven't slept this well in YEARS.

Your advise/recommendations/warnings will be welcome!!!

Sun - hope you are having a great time with your Mum!

Comment

Have fun Sun, I hope you get some actual sunshine in the UK this time of year, not sure its available. You might have to bring your own, but I know you have plenty.

Sorry everyone for not catching your posts until now, I usually end up on my own and a few threads and don't always see this one has been updated for some reason, really unsure why.

Im, I can't advise on moderation nor topa, I'm doing neither. You might want to start a new topa thread in the meds section and see if you get hits. On chatty threads which serve as support groups more than med advice, like this one, people not usually on it don't check it for questions like yours. You're always welcome to jump on my Bruuns Titting Up thread for support. Don't think anyone's on topa there but you'll get more quick support there from me, most of the time.

Air, my experience with people (family, self, MWOers) is that we all want to stop the meds especially when they're working - and we go back down the drain. My sibs do it semi-annually and then wonder why they feel like crap. I remind them they do this regularly and they acknowledge it but do not remember how bad it gets until they get there, then they disappear. My sister is disappeared right now. Don't do it.

I would suggest you two consider starting a thread entitled something like Topa, other drugs including ADDs Help Needed - or something maybe catchier and more to the point. To your points, rather, like personalize it so people see it and click and relate. And help.

Sorry I can't be of more help but CONGRATS Im, on your abstinence, most people cannot moderate. There are threads in Gdiscussion on moderation I think, and abstinence. Go there for support too. Hope you already did.

Love to all....

:l

Comment

I am back - had the most awesome wonderful time possible. Words do not do it justice. Mum was SO surprised - her brain couldn't work out that it was me standing in front of her - after all, I am in USA!!! (So she thought!!!) It was just incredible.

IM - so well done on your 24 days! I would stay at the level of Topa that you are on - if it is working, that is wonderful for you. I have been on Topa for ages, and manage to moderate - depending on one's terms of moderating. I STILL drink daily, but do manage to keep it down most days to 2, which is good. But I also need to go up - I have been on 150mg and don't keep it consistent with it when I go up. I am thrilled that it is working for you - just awesome.

Bruun - the weather was lovely - it always seems to be when I visit home for some reason. I even did some gardening for my mum saturday morning which she was really pleased about. Oh gosh - I had SUCH a great time. cannot say how much I enjoyed it - we all laughed until we cried. My two brothers, my sister and I and mum - after so long. We DID enjoy it. Mum just e-mailed me and she said she is still dumbstruck.

Airam - I have been taking Celexa for 10 years and it was like a miracle for me. That black cloud that had been following me around for most of my life actually disappeared. It has been perfect for me and I had no SE's at all. I hope things get better for you.

July - it is funny when you drink something other than your drink of choice - when I was in UK, I was with my aunt at the airport the last night and had wine - I only drank about 1/2 the glass (although I had ordered a large) - it was just not appealing at all. I thought maybe I should change to wine instead of Guinness at home?? Actually - take that back - I had two wines on the plane and they were fine - LOL

Midnight - the therapist I talked to about 10 years ago (not for AL - for other stuff), I did actually broach about AL. Although I wasn't drinking as much then - anyway, turned out she LOVED to go home and have a glass - OR TWO of wine. So, seeing as I wasn't there for that and I also wasn't too worried about it, I never did say any more. I think that unless they have been there, it is hard for them REALLY to give any advice to be honest.

I am sure that I haven't covered everything or everyone and I am sorry - I am still in another time zone - LOL I have today off then go back to work tomorrow. I was fine with the AL in UK - although the Saturday night in the hotel, I really paced myself - we all started at a great pub for a meal at 5.00 - then mum and sister left to go and watch a TV programme (!!!!) that mum wanted to watch for 2 hours, leaving my 2 brothers and me at the pub, but I drank halves. We then went back to the hotel and played cards until midnight - I had more than I should have but didn't even get tipsy, and didn't have a hangover, so all was well. Made sure to slow it down a LOT !! So - it all worked well.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Good to be back,

LOve and hugs to you all, Sun XX

Comment

Okay - on the second page which won't do at all, so I am bumping us up!! Come on people - where is everybody? I am here - come and visit with me - LOL.

hugs, sun X

Comment

Hi Sun, yet again didn't see the thread was updated ... welcome back! It must be so difficult to be so far away from your family. That was a big choice with lasting impact, I imagine, for better and worse. Glad you had such a heady time, hope you can do it again soon.

Comment

Sun - sounds like you did amazing! Wow! Travel and family usually add to my drinking so I am so impressed!!! I have been bad, well just the same actually. That is my update for now. Hopefully more later.

Comment

Working...
                                X