New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, glad to hear it Sun. You remind me to take the AllOne, I need to do that. What do you put it in? Just water? I have some ancient cranberry juice otherwise... how does one know if cranberry juice (open and in fridge for months) hais gone bad? Can it go bad? So much sugar and all that cranberry? Seems like it would self-preserve forever.

Comment

Hi Bruun - I take mine nwith a banana, - oh, I have a magic bullet - so that is the size I make - I chop a banana in the bottom, fill it about 3/4 full of dole fruit juice - right now I am using the mango pineapple something one, then top it up with milk (not a lot, just enough to make it not all fruit juice) and then put the scoop (or if you don't have the scoop - I think it is 4 heaping tsps of the powder) before I put the milk in, blend it all up - and yummy !! I am feeling good this evening - almost back to my usual self - not quite - but SO much better than this past weekend - I really hit bottom this past weekend. Thank you for all your advice. I will get on to you about taking the asll-One - it does make such a difference to me - but I take it EVERY day !!!! Depending on work shifts, I either have it before I go, or take it as a drink to have there. but I do have it every single day. I will PM you each day asking if you have had it......ROTFLMBO - you will regret asking me to remind you. :H:H

Love, Sun XXX
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Awww, Sunshine....
        Don't be so hard on yourself. From what I've read, this is normal when trying to quit. Ups and downs, peaks and valleys. Some people can quit and never look back, some of us have to keep looking over our shoulder. I am reading a book that is truly changing the way I look at alcohol. I'm about halfway through it and I have drastically reduced the amount of wine I have every night. It's called "Kick the Drink" by Jason Vale -- saw it posted in General Discussions. I'm certainly not sober (AF) yet but it's definitely helping. Give it a go. (((((( )))))))

Comment

Hi Hoping! I am feeling SO much better. I really am. I actually tried the Jason vale book - and didn't like it. I actually sent it to a friend who is giving it to someone else LOL. I read the Carr book a year or two ago - and still prefer his book out of them all. I am feeling so much better I can't believe it - I almost feel back to my sunny self, which is wonderful. I am so pleased that the Vale book is helping you - it seems to be one of those books that you either click with or not - sort of like the carr book - you either love it or hate it. I am re-reading it!! (The Carr book that is) I am so glad it is helping you.(The Vale book that is). I am managing to lower my intake after my fall from grace last week - and I have been taking my second dose of Topa EVERY day now for four days. go me !!:goodjob: I am trying.....

Hugs to all,

love, Sun XX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hey Sun and Hoping, I have both books on the bed with the Wall Street Journal in fact LOL, haven't read any of it. I have The Raw Milk Revolution too, and Cold Storm I think. So ... not my usual self. I usually read and read and read and now I can't even read unless its on MWO or work.

Comment

I keep intending to start the Carr book but it says you must read sober. The only time I have time to read is on the airplane, and I always am drinking on the plane! What is sober? Can I have a beer and read the book or NO alcohol? If NO alcohol well not sure I will get to the book!

Comment

ROTFLMBO Midnight - you can read it when you have had one or two - he just doesn't want you to read it when you are plastered! He wants you to remember it. I read it when I have had a couple - just not when I have had more than that. I really like the Carr book - it resonated with me. When you get to the Goblin part with the goblin on your shoulder - please PM me - okay?

Hugs, Sun XXX

Comment

I started high-dose baclofen a year ago. I continued to drink until I noticed my cravings had decreased enough to force myself to stop drinking alcohol until I hit indifference. I'd noticed a lot of side effects throughout the months until I stopped drinking. They disappeared as I continued to titrate up, ignoring some alcohol cravings (that weren't unbearable, just annoying). When I was taking between 140-160 mg. of baclofen I experienced indifference. I tested it of course (! ), but only had a beer on five separate occasions over the next two months. The cold beer tasted great, but I barely felt a buzz and felt really full when I finished it. I didn't want another and it didn't set off cravings or thoughts of wanting to drink again. I've been alcohol free for five months, a miracle for this decade-long heavy drinker. (My last year of dependency I was sucking down 1/2 gallon of vodka a day.)

Baclofen alleviated my lifelong anxiety, another miracle. I decided to titrate down for two reasons: (1) Haven't heard this from others, but I gained weight from baclofen. (2) I'm still not 100% comfortable about taking high dose baclofen forever. I decided to add topamax to my protocol which has been great at eliminating cravings too. It's supposed to help with anxiety/depression too. I take 50 mg. at bedtime along with 50-100 mg. of seroquel. I have struggled with insomnia since abusing sleeping pills a few years ago. Seroquel is an anti-psychotic prescribed for insomnia and depression in small doses. I'm taking 80 mg. of baclofen and if I notice sugar cravings (which can trigger alcohol cravings) I titrate up to 100-120 mg. for several days until I'm back to total indifference. Both topamax and seroquel left me groggy at first. I've been taking topamax for several months and notice this side effect has diminished. I've been using seroquel for insomnia for many years. Initially I would awaken feeling groggy. Seroquel knocks me out about 20-30 minutes after I take it. I have deep, restful sleep (increased REM sleep) which diminished my irritability and fatigue.

I also take a large dose of L-glutamine (15-20 g.) to regulate my blood sugar which decreases sugar cravings and keeps me level. I take a lot of B vitamins, including B-12 for energy. Also a particularly potent Omega 3. I did a one month Master Cleanse to detoxify my system once I stopped drinking. (A short MC is ten days.) It was surprisingly easy and I didn't feel hungry. I noticed my mood perked up and I had more energy afterwards. The MC is supposed to reduce cravings for alcohol and sugar. Detoxification cleanses in general are helpful for addictions. Since a lot of alcoholics are hypoglycemic, I try to adhere to a diet that addresses this. Stopped eating gluten and started juicing which seemed to help my fatigue. I try to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated which also seems to increase energy.

An antidepressant I actually liked was lamictal. SSRIs made me agitated and slightly manic. I've also read if you take SSRIs for a long time, their efficacy wears off. They are difficult and uncomfortable to titrate off. I had no side effects from lamictal. It brought me up from down (really down) to an even-keeled state. I didn't feel "medicated" and was no longer flat/experiencing inertia. I no longer marinated in emotion.

I have auto-immune issues. I took the generic of provigil - adranifil/olmifon - for over a year and really liked it. It gave me a sense of alertness, clarity, focus and energy. It also lifted my mood. I order the generic on the "Nubrain" site. One box of 30 tablets is $30.

Whenever I tweak my protocol (e.g., adding a medication or decreasing/increasing a dosage), I do this without making other changes. It's important to observe how a medication, supplement, change in nutrition really affects you. I was careful not to make all kinds of major life changes at once. It was hard enough to commit to stop drinking at 120 mg. when I still had cravings and a deeply entrenched habit.

I'm new here. I wish I'd come across this Forum when I went on the baclofen protocol! I'd discovered the website in 2009, but there were very few comments so I never returned. I was also warned about a "Dr. Phill" at this site, so was concerned this was a scam site. Just visited yesterday morning and spent the entire day reading threads. I sure could have used all the suggestions and support when taking high-dose baclofen more or less on my own. I'm one of Dr. L's patients, but knowing how his baclophone rings rarely call upon him. Hence, I went through many uncomfortable side effects without support. I tried to keep in mind the "many uncomfortable side effects" as a result of heavy drinking!

Baclofen with topamax seems to be the ticket for me right now. I made a commitment to abstain from alcohol for one year. If I then decide to see if I can be a "social drinker" while adhering to my baclofen/topamax/seroquel protocol, and it doesn't work out? I don't think it would be difficult to ramp back up to 140-160 mg.

I appreciate the detailed posts from others on this path!

Comment

Hi Life - gosh, what a long post - I will do my best......... I know NOTHING about bac. Actually, I know nothing about Lglut either or the AD that you are on - in fact, you might want to start a totally new thread and copy and paste this post to it - 'cos I know NOTHING! I take Topa, but totally on it's own - have never taken it with anything - your question might best be asked on a thread on it's own with it's own heading. I am not sure if any of us on this thread can answer your questions - you really need someone who has been on Bac. I wish I could be of more help - this is an awesome website, but you have asked way more of me than I can deal with. You really need a Bac thread. please post again with Bac in your title somewhere. Wishing you all the best.

Sun XX

Comment

Hey Life,

Thanks for the autoimmune supplement/rx you get, I'll suggest it to my cousin who is a nurse and see if she is helped. She def needs those benefits you described. In fact, so could I.

Wow, you reached indifference. Congratulations!

Have you read about Lglut issues on the holistic thread, or did I already mention that? Mercola thinks its not good for long term cravings use due to toxicity or something.

Can you be specific about the cleanse? I take a liver cleanse thing, lots of vitamins, All-One (yes Sun, took it today! thx!!) I also use probiotics and diotomaceous earth daily. I also take Kefir, kombucha, greek yogurt, I've eliminated all but raw milk, I only eat SmartCarb bread and only a couple times a week, once slice, usually.

I find the bac is good for relieving sciatica or whatever is happening to my left hip and knee and whole leg. It also helps me stop freaking out at night if I OD on it like last night - every noise had me shaking, but I took two or three MORE than the 4 10mg I have been taking and today I had to lay in bed unable to work/talk/carry water for the dog or me until late afternoon. I still cannot carry a glass of water, I spilled four times today not including the soup. Frazzled crazy!!! Of course the alcohol is part of it, I can't blame it all on the bac, I realize that. I had four glasses of wine last night.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your story. I'll look for you on meds if you decide to start a thread. Your story will be heartening for those struggling.

Also lots of people gain weight on HDB because they can't exercise and they can't sleep (bleep said he ate an extra meal each day because he was hungry when he got up at 3am or went to bed at 3am, can't recall, so he had four meals a day instead of three). Also alot of people want to get off HDB some day, so you'll get alot of support although you may also encounter some resistance, just ignore it and tell your story and ask for advise.

Comment

Sun,

My quotes don't work right but your last post made me smile. I don't do long posts either. L.A.A. has some great things to say.
                        I read this thread all the time and I hope you are getting back to normal after your trip to your mum's. My mom lives within an hour and I don't appreciate her enough. Sometimes a person says something when they think they are saying nothing at all.
                        Thanks for that.:l

LL
                        The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Hi Lady! Lovely to see you post - LOL It never dawned on me that others read these posts - I have no idea why not - a bit silly of me really -:H. Yes, I am feeling MUCH better thank you - I am not sure if it is coincidence, Psychological, The Gaba, the fact that my head is getting back to normal after my trip, or what it is - I don't care. All I know is that I am feeling like my sunny self again thank goodness. I really hit rock bottom there - and it was horrid! It is SO good to be back to ME again. the drink is still there but I feel able to cope with that again- I never usually drink a whole lot - except that weekend when I drank more than I usually do. but still didn't get drunk. I have been really good about taking my second dose of Topa and in about two weeks will be going up to the highest dose that I do. i should do it this week coming but have a friend coming and don't want to take it then! Anyway, I am waffling - I think it is wonderful that your mum lives within an hour of you - PLEASE enjoy her - I so wish I could see mine more - you are so lucky to have her close. I quite envy you. It is such a special relationship and one that I treasure. Give your mum an extra hug when you see her.

Love and hugs,

Sun XXX

Comment

Sun,

And I envy you my friend!

You are so important to this thread!

LOL = Lots of Love!

LL:l
                            The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Had to have my dog Maggie put down this morning - she had bone cancer and it was just time but it still hits really hard :upset::upset:

Comment

Awe, sweetheart, I'm so sorry! {{{{Sun}}}} So hard to do, but you did the right and best thing, bone cancer is a painful way to go, she's out of misery now and wishes you wouldn't feel so bad. She's still with you, somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X